IGNORED

Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

30 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Just install VPX and copy tables and roms folders. And maybe any extra music you have downloaded.

Copied everything, changed the paths and it works as I need. So I now have desktop single screen setup and a 2 screen 'cabinet' setup. I just load the VPX app I need when I need it. Now I just need to get this monitor stand sorted. So far this is costing zero money, as I have none I don't want to be defeated yet, so seeing if I can bodge something together. 

11 hours ago, bradigor said:

Fuck yeah. 

20220127_211712.thumb.jpg.e01a57f6db9e633615d3786d753d080d.jpg

Now because I am being awkward I need to have another instance of VPX so I can just run it on a single screen when I need to. Hope it is a case of duplicating the whole thing and changing the first part of the path. 

And so it begins...Nice one man.  This setup will definitely give you a better experience than playing in desktop mode and the fact that it cost you nothing is amazing.  Next step should be some sort of DIY wood or MDF cabinet to house your playfield screen as well as some arcade buttons for flippers / launch / coins.  There a great groups on FB that can help you build a no frills cab if you're interested.

I know it's still a couple of days early but I think I'm pretty much done with LOTR for a bit (I haven't been able to get anywhere near 100M again).  What does everyone think about doing two tables for next week so we can at least juggle between the two if one table is at a stalemate? 

I'm thinking The Getaway: High Speed II (has great flow and also one of the best toys in pinball - the Supercharger) and AC/DC Power Up Edition (my favourite music pin).  If anyone else has table suggestions, please feel free to suggest away.

The Getaway - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=13130

AC/DC Power Up - https://vpdb.io/games/acdc/releases/ektewy1nf

12 hours ago, bradigor said:

Just wanted to ask something about this...

Say my table fit perfect wide, but it short in height, just use the scale-y and offset-y to stretch and fine tune? I assume the stretch is minimal for most tables, so won't look weird like stretch a 4:3 game to 16:9, etc

You can stretch and move as much as you want.

I generally try to recreate the right dimensions of the original playfields as much as I can, even if it means having small borders on the left and right.  I would rather that look than stretched.  I also like to see the aprons and the side art / back of the cabinet so try to include those as well.

Thanks. I played about with it last night and got it looking good. The big shame is how my 24" monitor looks when viewed at anything but straight on. But that is now a future project for me.

Ideally I need to find a cheap as chips lightweight monitor with decent viewing angle. Not asking for much :lol:

27 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

I know it's still a couple of days early but I think I'm pretty much done with LOTR for a bit (I haven't been able to get anywhere near 100M again).  What does everyone think about doing two tables for next week so we can at least juggle between the two if one table is at a stalemate? 

I'm thinking The Getaway: High Speed II (has great flow and also one of the best toys in pinball - the Supercharger) and AC/DC Power Up Edition (my favourite music pin).  If anyone else has table suggestions, please feel free to suggest away.

The Getaway - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=13130

AC/DC Power Up - https://vpdb.io/games/acdc/releases/ektewy1nf

Well that’s the price of playing with us n00bs! I’m just getting to grips with LOTR so one table is more than enough for me in a week.

AC/DC looks like a great option for next week though.

In non-VPX related news, Zen Studios has released more details of their upcoming Pinball FX platform which is the follow up to Pinball FX3, complete with better graphics and physics for all existing and upcoming tables.  Indiana Jones looks decent, but honestly I'm happy playing the VPW version on VPX which looks like it has more realistic physics anyway.

The people in this video are all cringeworthy but the game looks decent, even though you will most likely have to re-download all the tables you have already bought many times over, or at the very least pay for a monthly subscription.

Hah, will have a look. I did figure out the registration thing and have the ac/dc table, but the physics seem wrong, like my table is tilted to the left! This needs a good bit of time to sit down and set up, will have a go over the weekend :)

Is there a way to quickly restart a game? I seem to be really good at losing my first ball in about 10 seconds and then racking up 95% of my score on the third ball. I just got 18m and had an extra ball, was so pumped, launched the extra ball, one hit with the flippers and it bounced off a pin and straight down the side gutter.

It's so harsh, even when you watch the high level players, the biggest problems they have is when they miss a shot and the ball is then out of control, and when you're learning, that's how you spend most of your time.

I was consistently improving and now have hit a phase where I can't seem to hit anything on purpose, gonna keep grinding at this.

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

When I create the thread I'll make a a template so people can mention the platform they are on. 

Honestly I don't think multiple platforms is the way to go.  For example, Zen Pinball's physics (even on their Williams tables) are a lot easier and more predictable than VPX's which depending or the table are a lot more realistic and close to the real thing.

The beauty of VPX is that it's free and available to anyone with a PC.  I really think that that should be the platform of choice.  We can help our anyone struggling to set it up if that's the case.

6 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Honestly I don't think multiple platforms is the way to go.  For example, Zen Pinball's physics (even on their Williams tables) are a lot easier and more predictable than VPX's which depending or the table are a lot more realistic and close to the real thing.

The beauty of VPX is that it's free and available to anyone with a PC.  I really think that that should be the platform of choice.  We can help our anyone struggling to set it up if that's the case.

I agree in all fairness, but thought it'd be good for the first couple of tables to get people involved. Make the third table a VPX exclusive ;) 

AC/DC! Great choice :D

Oblig photo of Rick Astley playing my AC/DC Premium at a charity gig a few years back

image.thumb.png.23d53dc6c102ed730e5e888bbf58ad05.png

Wish my computer was up to spec to play some of these VPinball tables. What's the minimum graphics card/cpu spec people here are using?

I'm on a RTX2060 10th gen i5.

VPX has a low end PC setting but I don't know what that covers. 

I saw a video of someone using an old macmini to power their cabinet so maybe not much needed.

Loving AC-DC, just getting a feel for it right now but will look for table rules over the weekend. I haven't a clue how the sunken bit works, so just hammer the flippers during that at the moment :lol:

On 29/01/2022 at 02:58, bradigor said:

Loving AC-DC, just getting a feel for it right now but will look for table rules over the weekend. I haven't a clue how the sunken bit works, so just hammer the flippers during that at the moment :lol:

Yeah, a cintiq pro, the controller you can just use a cardboard box you have lying around really, I bought this set.

EG Starts buttons

The sizing isn’t far off, I’ll adjust the shape a bit but works great, as omizzay said it does help you play better.

E74EC32D-42DA-4CA1-A7B3-421F8C47D58F.jpeg