Pinball Games - Pinball FX, Pinball Arcade, etc

bradigor

On 12/02/2022 at 13:44, Omizzay said:

The guy I rent my pinball machines from for work just surprised me by coming over and dropping me off one of these badboys :D 

spacer.png

At the time I saw this and just thought it was just a random machine, I have since increased my pinball knowledge and learnt that this is currently regarded as the greatest pinball machine of all time, how did you find it? Is it really that great or is it just because it’s new and people are excited about it over the older tables like say a Mars Attacks or Medieval Madness?

8 hours ago, Cheeko said:

At the time I saw this and just thought it was just a random machine, I have since increased my pinball knowledge and learnt that this is currently regarded as the greatest pinball machine of all time, how did you find it? Is it really that great or is it just because it’s new and people are excited about it over the older tables like say a Mars Attacks or Medieval Madness?

Like I mentioned, I happen to be buddies with one of the few pinball distributors here in Dubai and he dropped it off to my house for me to test out.

The guy that designed this machine - Keith Elwyn - is regarded as the best pinball player of all time and is now regarded as the best pinball designer of all time.  His other tables (Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden & Avengers Infinity Quest) are also seen as top tier (https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100) and he's only been designing for a couple of years.

Having had the Godzilla machine for just over a week and having put a few hundred plays on it, I can definitely say that it has lived up to its reputation by being quite innovative when it comes to table features.  The one pop bumper, the floating third flipper and the magnet that u-turns the ball are firsts when it comes to pinball machines but overall I loved it because the flow was so smooth, you can hit combos non-stop and the codes and ruleset was a lot of fun.  It was also the first time I had ever experienced the Stern Insider feature, which lets you sign in through your phone and earn achievements by performing certain tasks while playing.  But in order for me to judge the game properly I need to experience the Premium or Limited Edition version (I only had the Pro) as those have the true highlights of the table which are the Mecha-Godzilla magnet toy as well as the multi-level building that locks balls on different levels, then sinks under the table when it starts multiball.

If you ever see it out in the wild, I would suggest you spend a few hours on it.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Right Ok... I'd not been fussed about Future Pinball until now... but

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/9345-sonic-pinball-mania/

@Omizzayhave you got experience of FP? How easy is it to setup alongside VPX?

I have the standard Future Pinball and I don't really like the physics at all especially when you compare to VPX. But Terry Red's tables run on PinEvent which I honestly haven't bothered installing yet and it seems like a bit of an ordeal to do so.  But Sonic does look very cool and theres a few other tables that also do.  Check out this Star Wars one he did as well:

11 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Like I mentioned, I happen to be buddies with one of the few pinball distributors here in Dubai and he dropped it off to my house for me to test out.

The guy that designed this machine - Keith Elwyn - is regarded as the best pinball player of all time and is now regarded as the best pinball designer of all time.  His other tables (Jurassic Park, Iron Maiden & Avengers Infinity Quest) are also seen as top tier (https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100) and he's only been designing for a couple of years.

I've seen a few videos with him doing table tutorials or interviews, I can't believe I never made the connection with the name, what a guy!

Great that these newer tables are doing so well, seems that Stern really tried to keep things alive and now them and the Chicago Gaming Company or whatever they're called doing the table remakes it's really paying off.

I have to say that now I'm learning about it all I lived in Chicago for 2 years and somehow never played a single table whilst I was there and now really regret it, yet it seems that's the mecca for the industry.

1 hour ago, Omizzay said:

So...easy to install PinEvent and BAM then?

FP and BAM using TerryReds guide here... (where he shows of Star Wars)

https://vpuniverse.com/tutorials/article/3-future-pinball-and-bam-mega-guide-by-terryred/

Was worth it for Sonic alone so far. Will use VPX for all tables and FP/BAM fpr tables that are exclusive to that.

Am in Dublin for the weekend visiting family and a friends gathering but desperately trying to figure out how to get to a place called Token, look at their machine line up!

A2EAA7E4-4C06-4FBA-9CEE-9DE476C81D27.jpeg

On 05/03/2022 at 22:13, Cheeko said:

Am in Dublin for the weekend visiting family and a friends gathering but desperately trying to figure out how to get to a place called Token, look at their machine line up!

That is a proper list of all time greats.

10 hours ago, bradigor said:

@OmizzayWhat do you use for a DMD? Wondering what I can do as a third display without needing a third monitor purely for a DMD. 

Here is my 3 screen setup:

- 43" 4K 60 Hz Gaming Monitor for the playfield

- 22" HD Monitor Full DMD

- 32" HD Monitor for Backglass

9 hours ago, ZOK said:

That is a proper list of all time greats.

Yep, but I wasn’t able to play them :( I did get there late one evening but the pinball parlour area was closed. On the flipside however the place was filled with classic arcade machines and it was basically a nightclub with people hanging in groups and taking turns on the machines, it was pretty cool to see especially as it was a young audience for these games.

14 hours ago, Cheeko said:

Yep, but I wasn’t able to play them :( I did get there late one evening but the pinball parlour area was closed. On the flipside however the place was filled with classic arcade machines and it was basically a nightclub with people hanging in groups and taking turns on the machines, it was pretty cool to see especially as it was a young audience for these games.

Man that’s a shame. What would you have played though? Nearly all of those you would want to play all night on their own, I don’t know how I would have chosen.

Having said that, it would have been Theatre of Magic!

@Omizzay

What is your opinion on tables that use older roms as a base to build on?

For example, From Dusk Till Dawn uses Black Knight as a base. If it is just a reskin, then I don't see the point in me* owning it. But if they can create something new based on that rom, then I am more eager to try. 

*I mean just me... I love that people make these tables still. 

What sort of PC do you need to play this on, would my very basic work machine run it? I’ve been playing AFM Pro on my iphone and it’s driving me nuts, I’ve not managed to squeak past 9Bn yet because the furious screen tapping required by the multiballs always tilts the flipping machine.

Or can you run it on Mac? That would be ideal.

12 hours ago, bradigor said:

@Omizzay

What is your opinion on tables that use older roms as a base to build on?

For example, From Dusk Till Dawn uses Black Knight as a base. If it is just a reskin, then I don't see the point in me* owning it. But if they can create something new based on that rom, then I am more eager to try. 

*I mean just me... I love that people make these tables still. 

It really depends on how well it's done.  The Breaking Bad table for example uses Strange Science as a base but completely changes the look and feel of the playfield so I actually prefer it.

On 05/03/2022 at 22:13, Cheeko said:

I’ve been to token. It’s a great spot. 

Been looking at the more recent Stern releases, really not liking the art style they have going on in a bunch of them, the Star Wars table in particular just looks really empty. The Jurassic Park Home Edition looks really fun for an ‘affordable’ table but again there’s just random crap on the table that means it’s not clear what the lights are linked to.

6BF96792-AED0-4544-818F-8A85A726BD7C.thumb.jpeg.bd0b09562db47a3a6c6a46debf002380.jpeg

The big footprint is cool, and the top area from the ramps up is great, but what the hell is that ‘Escape from Nublar’ sign about? Really distracting.

Seems crazy when there are clearly so many artists doing vpx tables and doing amazing redesigns. You look at Attack From Mars and it’s just really clear what you need to do and what’s related to what, with lines joining the progression of specific ramps.