Veep

Comrade

Very clever finale - although it might have worked better in chronological order.

Spoiler

Jonah Ryan - the insider's outsider. Probably have a chance in the real world with that slogan and his track record

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ive just started watching this - bit

late to the party. 

It’s really very funny indeed. Perhaps a little too many gags in the dialogue for my taste but it’s does make me laugh...

’it’s like teaching gravity to a chicken’ really tickled me just now. Julia LD is really

very good indeed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This show took such a big dive when Iannucci left but it was still watchable, this latest season however is pretty terrible. I guess everyone wanted more Jonah, which isn't the only issue I have with the show, but it's changed the tone from something believable to being way over the top. The writing has also become lazy with just taking the last two year's news cycle and rehashing it. There's still some laughs every episode (Kent introducing himself to the kid in her bedroom was brilliant) but it's not a patch on what it was.

I think they were between a rock and a hard place, they couldn’t have done The Thick Of It or Veep in today’s poltical climate. There’s no denying this season is quite silly and a different beast but it’s only been amped up to match how ridiculous politics has become by 2019. It’s the last season and they’ve morphed every character into the very worst version of themselves (hilariously this has meant keeping Dan exactly the same), and it’s pretty funny seeing how far they go with it.

Proper Veep ‘finished’ with Selina getting on the helicopter for the last time, the post-White House stuff is more like an amusing ‘You thought that was bad, this how fucking crazy things are now’ epilogue. They could probably do something similar with The Thick Of It characters all split across Change UK & The Brexit Party.

It's the pacing of this last season that has been off, especially squeezing in two time jumps for that last episode.

A few obvious moments inspired by real-life events were glaringly obvious, but overall it was a good end.

• 1 year later...

I have binged series 2 to the end over the last couple of weeks, finishing a little while ago, having previously seen up to nearly the end of season 4. At first I thought the post-White House stuff wasn't going to appeal, but it was still good. Season 7 though...sheesh. Whilst Selina had become ever more a terrible person since leaving office, that last season took it too far. Much like @Gottersmentioned about earlier seasons, it just became so hate-filled and shouty.

There was still some gold - Richard was brilliantly entertaining and I always had a soft-spot for Kent and Ben, but everybody else was just awful. I will spoiler my final thoughts as there may be people yet to finish it:

Spoiler

I was surprised and a bit sad that Mike was booted out of the gang between S6 & 7, even though it came up numerous times that they wanted rid of him. I didn't really get Leon being parachuted in, either. The whole China thing, obviously satirising events at time, just felt like a bit of a mcguffin to use whenever the writers wanted to move the plot on in a fantastical way and it was just all a bit out of place - a bit like Andrew's arc for the season (and that was him on his phone when Selina drove past him in the final episode, right?).

Also, a question: why did Selina fire Dan (again!) after they slept together? I think I must've missed something there.

Finally, poor Gary; devoted to the end.

Overall that final season didn't quite work for me, though I don't know what would (which has me thinking about a thread idea); what I do know is that I'm left feeling a bit unfulfilled (whilst still sad that it is done and dusted now). When it was good, it was absolutely gold and, to be fair, even when it was bad it was still better than a lot of other shows. I'd probably stop at season 5 if I ever did watch it again though.

• 1 year later...

I've noticed that this has just popped back up on Sky, so I'm going to watch it again as it's good background. Watching the first episode and am properly laughing at it, the writing is so good.

Just re-reading my comment above, I wonder if I will stop at season 5? I can't remember what I didn't like about season 6 (and my post doesn't mention it). Eh, that's a while off yet, I shall enjoy the gold over the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

I've noticed that this has just popped back up on Sky, so I'm going to watch it again as it's good background. Watching the first episode and am properly laughing at it, the writing is so good.

Just re-reading my comment above, I wonder if I will stop at season 5? I can't remember what I didn't like about season 6 (and my post doesn't mention it). Eh, that's a while off yet, I shall enjoy the gold over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up - could easily watch this again