gamesTM Issue 13

strider

Scores are scores. It's all opinion.

Regardless of what scores both Games TM and Edge give, Games TM reviews read like a kid's diary. I happen to agree with more of the scores in this months Games TM than I do Edge this month also (apart from Broken Sword III).. but I just don't value their opinion as much.

Thanks for that, next…

Opinions not welcome on Rllmuk, eh?

oh, you couldn't be more wrong :P

Fact is, I've been hovering around the forums since issue 5 (when I started on the mag) and have found the likes of Rllmuk, NTSC-UK and Gamestyle (to name a few) extremely valuable resources.

I'm more than happy to take constructive criticism about the mag (just ask anyone on the forum, I think you'll find I'm quite resonable). If you want to explain copnstuctively why you think it reads like a kids diary, I'll listen earnestly to everything you have to say (after all, it's the only way we'll learn).

However, If you are going to use the thread just to have a pop at us like you're still at school, then of course your opinion will be dismissed as it's not helping anyone.

Having bought just a few issues, perhaps my opinion won't hold much weight with you. However, from what I've read, it just seems like every other games magazine out there, dressed up in a more adult format.

I applaud Paragon for trying to tap this market; it's extremely under-tapped if you ask me. But I am slightly synical about it's motives. An Edge clone, shall we say?

Except it isn't, and it would be wrong for me to claim that. And besides, even if it was, whats wrong with a bit of healthy competition?

Anyway, like I say, for me Edge reads a lot better. I am constantly astounded by how month-on-month, they keep the writing content so high. It is the most polished magazine that I have read, and that's including all genres. In it's shadow is where Games TM lies for me, but I don't want that to be the case.

I'm being harsh. Overly so. If Edge wasn't around, then I'd guess that I'd be a Games TM regular and advocate.

Anyway, it's all relative. It's just my opinion, fella, and who am I? Feel free to prove me wrong - in here, and in future Games TM issues. :)

Scores are scores. It's all opinion.

Regardless of what scores both Games TM and Edge give, Games TM reviews read like a kid's diary. I happen to agree with more of the scores in this months Games TM than I do Edge this month also (apart from Broken Sword III).. but I just don't value their opinion as much.

Thanks for that, next…

Opinions not welcome on Rllmuk, eh?

oh, you couldn't be more wrong :)

Fact is, I've been hovering around the forums since issue 5 (when I started on the mag) and have found the likes of Rllmuk, NTSC-UK and Gamestyle (to name a few) extremely valuable resources.

I'm more than happy to take constructive criticism about the mag (just ask anyone on the forum, I think you'll find I'm quite resonable). If you want to explain copnstuctively why you think it reads like a kids diary, I'll listen earnestly to everything you have to say (after all, it's the only way we'll learn).

However, If you are going to use the thread just to have a pop at us like you're still at school, then of course your opinion will be dismissed as it's not helping anyone.

Having bought just a few issues, perhaps my opinion won't hold much weight with you. However, from what I've read, it just seems like every other games magazine out there, dressed up in a more adult format.

I applaud Paragon for trying to tap this market; it's extremely under-tapped if you ask me. But I am slightly synical about it's motives. An Edge clone, shall we say?

Except it isn't, and it would be wrong for me to claim that. And besides, even if it was, whats wrong with a bit of healthy competition?

Anyway, like I say, for me Edge reads a lot better. I am constantly astounded by how month-on-month, they keep the writing content so high. It is the most polished magazine that I have read, and that's including all genres. In it's shadow is where Games TM lies for me, but I don't want that to be the case.

I'm being harsh. Overly so. If Edge wasn't around, then I'd guess that I'd be a Games TM regular and advocate.

Anyway, it's all relative. It's just my opinion, fella, and who am I? Feel free to prove me wrong - in here, and in future Games TM issues. :)

See mate, that's absolutly perfect. :D

I totally understand where you're coming from with the Edge comparisons and you're right, the quality of writing month on month is very, very good.

We're trying to improve with each issue and always knew that we'd always be judged against the mighty Edge, however, that's something we're gonna have to put up with. All we can hope to do is produce a mag that our readers (and hopefully others) will find enjoyable to read.

If we can manage that, I'll be happy :P

I've got an idea Strider, change your forum name and I'll take you more seriously. Everytime I read it I hear the voice of one of the blokes from then end of that E3 Half Life 2 clip shouting "STRIDER!!!!"

Knacked Lord of the Rings for me as well.

Fucking Valve.

You have no idea of the voice that I hear inside my head when I read your name. It really frightens me. :)

I've got an idea Strider, change your forum name and I'll take you more seriously. Everytime I read it I hear the voice of one of the blokes from then end of that E3 Half Life 2 clip shouting "STRIDER!!!!"

Knacked Lord of the Rings for me as well.

Fucking Valve.

LOL, If I knew how to I would.

Saying that though, I do love that Ninja

Edge and GamesTM- the best two games magazines available. Can we leave it at that?

You'd like to think so :)

Unfortunately, though it isn't gonna happen. As long as scores for both mags are posted, there will be the odd couple of people who will want to say why one is better than the other, rather than discuss that magazines current content.

Strider :

Do you know why Games tm (and Edge, for that matter) are not distributed oversea, at least not where I live? We get many UK games magazines - but only single formats ones, and I don't read them anymore (sorry Breaksmith - we have Xgamer). So I have to subscribe, and money's tight now.

I browse your magazine once, and it seemed worth a read.

I'm more than happy to take constructive criticism about the mag (just ask anyone on the forum, I think you'll find I'm quite resonable).

OK, I'm not sure how constructive this is, but it's the thing that's stopping me buying the mag:

To me, Games TM looks, and notice there I said 'looks' as I've never read the magazine so can't comment on the actual content, but it looks like someone has picked up all the games magazines on a shelf, torn them up, eaten them, then vomited them out and stuck 'Games TM' on the front.

The magazine looks vile. It looks awful. I haven't read it because, compared to Edge, it just looks terrible. No style at all. It looks like trashy garbage.

Now, it may be excellent, however, without a face-lift there's no way I'm going to find out.

Also, people comlpain about the ads in Edge, sheeeesh, I flipped through the first Games TM and it seemed to have an ad every other page (slight exageration).

So my advise, sack your design/art department and get someone decent in.

(Oh, and this sin't an Edge vs GamesTM thing. It also looks awful compared to Computer Arts and the other magazines I read)

If you want to explain copnstuctively why you think it reads like a kids diary, I'll listen earnestly to everything you have to say (after all, it's the only way we'll learn).

Welcome to the internet!

I'm more than happy to take constructive criticism about the mag (just ask anyone on the forum, I think you'll find I'm quite resonable).

OK, I'm not sure how constructive this is, but it's the thing that's stopping me buying the mag:

To me, Games TM looks, and notice there I said 'looks' as I've never read the magazine so can't comment on the actual content, but it looks like someone has picked up all the games magazines on a shelf, torn them up, eaten them, then vomited them out and stuck 'Games TM' on the front.

The magazine looks vile. It looks awful. I haven't read it because, compared to Edge, it just looks terrible. No style at all. It looks like trashy garbage.

Now, it may be excellent, however, without a face-lift there's no way I'm going to find out.

Also, people comlpain about the ads in Edge, sheeeesh, I flipped through the first Games TM and it seemed to have an ad every other page (slight exageration).

(Oh, and this sin't an Edge vs GamesTM thing. It also looks awful compared to Computer Arts and the other magazines I read)

I take it you never read Crash or Zzap!64 then?

I take it you never read Crash or Zzap!64 then?

No, I had a BBC!

(and yes, my parents are teachers)

See what I can't understand is, so many people are slagging it off for being an Edge clone, then moan about it not looking enough like Edge.

See what I can't understand is, so many people are slagging it off for being an Edge clone, then moan about it not looking enough like Edge.

Well, I haven't slagged it off for being an Edge clone.

Also, it doesn't need to look like Edge, it just needs to not look shite.

Hi Luke,

I've passed your details over to the design editor and she'd be very interested in hearing from you. She also when to know if you could design a mock up issue (she assumes you're a designer) so she can see where she's going wrong.

Feel free to pm all the above information and I'll pass it on to her.

Hi Luke,

I've passed your details over to the design editor and she'd be very interested in hearing from you. She also when to know if you could design a mock up issue (she assumes you're a designer) so she can see where she's going wrong.

What a curious assuption.

Can only a designer tell when a design is bad?

Still, though I'm not a trained designer, I reckon I could still knock up something better looking than the current design.

Oh - and no offence to your designer as I'm sure she's probably just following a brief.

Hi Luke,

Oooooh. Hark at her!

I bought the GamesTM issue with Zelda: TWW on the front. I haven't touced it since.

There is a boy in Blazin' Squad who calls himself Strider.

Of course not, but you obviousley know what you're talking about so she'd love to be given some ideas. All you have to do is PM me with whatever you've knocked up. not too hard is it :)

Don't be so ridiculous. I think Westlife sound like the worst thing I've ever heard (for want of a more visual description), but I'm hardly likely to knock up a Barry Manilow cover and send it to Simon Cowell, am I?

I think you should back down and accept the criticism and admit that your magazine looks like roadkill.

Of course not, but you obviousley know what you're talking about so she'd love to be given some ideas. All you have to do is PM me with whatever you've knocked up. not too hard is it :)

Don't be so ridiculous. I think Westlife sound like the worst thing I've ever heard (for want of a more visual description), but I'm hardly likely to knock up a Barry Manilow cover and send it to Simon Cowell, am I?

I think you should back down and accept the criticism and admit that your magazine looks like roadkill.

I'll accept constructive criticism by all means. If you can't give a constructive argument as to why the cover needs improving, I'll have to ignore you as you're contributing nothing of importance to the thread.

The import feature looked well ace though, didn't it? It's fantabulastic.

Nice one to the design team on that one. Incredible feature.

You wrote it, didn't you, you cheeky self promoting get. :)

Also; strider, your 'it isn't constructive' sarcasm is a bit rich, isn't it? The design of gTM has often been criticised, with people saying 'it looks shit' - they don't like how it looks, which is the point of design. I think that's a fairly adequate justification, don't you?

The import feature looked well ace though, didn't it? It's fantabulastic.

Nice one to the design team on that one. Incredible feature.

You wrote it, didn't you, you cheeky self promoting get. :)

Also; strider, your 'it isn't constructive' sarcasm is a bit rich, isn't it? The design of gTM has often been criticised, with people saying 'it looks shit' - they don't like how it looks, which is the point of design. I think that's a fairly adequate justification, don't you?

Yes, the design has been mentioned before.

however, simply saying something is shit or that 'it isn't Edge' isn't constructive feedback. how can we improve the magazine to your tastes, it you don't tell us?

All, I'm doing is asking for advice and feedback about the mag. Simply saying it looks shit isn't really good enough.

I'll accept constructive criticism by all means. If you can't give a constructive argument as to why the cover needs improving, I'll have to ignore you as you're contributing nothing of importance to the thread.

OK, I'll be constructive. The cover needs improving because the cover looks shit. Ask the design team to make the cover not look shit.

I don't think I can be any clearer here.

Of course not, but you obviousley know what you're talking about so she'd love to be given some ideas. All you have to do is PM me with whatever you've knocked up. not too hard is it :P

OK, I'll be constructive. The cover needs improving because the cover looks shit. Ask the design team to make the cover not look shit.

:)

Come on admit it, you want a big shiney robot on the cover (I know I do).

Of course not, but you obviousley know what you're talking about so she'd love to be given some ideas. All you have to do is PM me with whatever you've knocked up. not too hard is it :P

:)

Come on admit it, you want a big shiney robot on the cover (I know I do).

No, not at all. I'd hate to think that Cackyfuckus had been wanking over the cover before it hit the shelves.

Most of the complaints about the design are because it doesn't look like Edge, and I think this is wrong. I'd like gamesTM to discover its own look, not like Edge, not like anyone else. I feel as if the magazine does look quite unique, but it is still finding that style to match what the magazine is all about.

Still some way to go, but at only 13 issues in it is making progress. The reviews now look the part, and I like the boxouts, maths and Better Than things. The news is over cluttered, I'd like to see more space dedicated to the big stories and lose out on some of the trivial stuff (such as Room 101).