SSX

Cyhwuhx

I thought Motorstorm was gaaaaaaaaaaaaaash. Didn't help that it required a 20 minute update before I could start playing it at which point any enthusiasm I had for the game had disappeared.

*edit: gash is too harsh, I just didn't garner much enjoyment from it despite its obvious ridiculosity. It just had no character...

• 2 weeks later...

New info from OXM

Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

Summary of concrete features:

* Right now, the game is split into 3 main modes. Campaign - where you tackle the 9 Deadly Descents, Explore, and Live Events. Xbox magazine seems to think this last option is for online events.

* Plot: 3 returning characters including Zoe Payne get tired of the typical snowboard competition scene and form the SSX corporation to tackle the 9 deadliest mountains around the world. Some old characters join in for the challenge, but one drops out to race to get all 9 mountains done before the others. You step in as the new character "Jack", who is featured in all the screenshots.

* Rewind feature is confirmed, though there will be some sort of penalty for using it

* Batty says the danger element bridges the gap to an action-adventure game.

* In-game equipment like ice axes will be able to be powered up through an RPG-type power-up system and that overusing them will incur an in-game penalty. He says you won't be able to just 'fly through' a level.

* 200-300 tracks through 9 peaks. I would say "tracks" are more like "paths" than tracks in the old way of thinking.

* Expect Split/Second-type set pieces on every mountain, but they are not scripted events.

* You pick the tracks you race through a "Google Earth" type interface, which you can zoom in and out and pick which path you'd like the helicopter to drop you on.

* Now the doozy - Batty says they've simplified the process to do tricks from "nine inputs down to two". According to Xbox magazine, they watched as he used the two analog sticks for the trick inputs: the left stick jumps and does spins, and sweeping motions with the right stick do tricks. Looks like some sort of Skate mechanic will make it through to the game. I have a strong hunch that Uber tricks will not make it into the game.

* Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality.

* Finally, it seems like it might be a 2012 release. Batty mentions that they have 15-months of development left on the game.

http://forum.blueguerilla.org/viewtopic.php?p=162567#162567

:)

Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

What's the word I'm looking for here? Something like, er, um, hang on, more of a disgusted sound, oh yeah, I got it...

UGH.

I can't believe he is sort of dissing SSX Tricky and 3 because they do not have enough 'gamer types' and dares to classify em as Wii games (which is a nice Fuck You to the Wii gamers among us).

SSX DD will be an open world action adventure slash role playing game with a first person point of view in which you snowboard over a nuclear wasteland whilst fighting dual machine gun wielding orcs trying to rescue the princess who is in another castle.

Everyone who sees ssx3 and tricky thinks they're wii games? What the fuck does that mean? They're last gen games, produced with wii level hardware, who is seeing them? If I showed someone ssx3 on a tv and they couldn't see what was running it, of course they'd think it was a wii game, it's not a fucking hi def game. I'd like to club that fucking retard to death with his shitty opinions untill he realises the stuff people want back from the other games isn't the fucking graphics, it's the play style. Not everything has to look ficking gritty to look new.

Fuck.

* In-game equipment like ice axes will be able to be powered up through an RPG-type power-up system and that overusing them will incur an in-game penalty. He says you won't be able to just 'fly through' a level.

What da'fuck!

In the latest issue of PSM3, SSX: Deadly Descents' creative director Todd Batty outlines his vision for the new SSX and defends his team's decision to step away from the Tricky era.

Batty compared the reinvention to JJ Abram's Star Trek, which he praised for turning a classic, arguably niche IP into a mainstream hit.

"I look at what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek, turning a hardcore IP with hardcore fans into a blockbuster that anyone could enjoy." said Batty.

He points out two wildly different movie interpretations of Batman villain Joker - by Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger - and likens them to SSX: Deadly Descents' makeover.

"You could say the same about Batman. If you look at the evolution of characters, that's where we're going with SSX".

coolface.jpg

The other two gamertypes being those who enjoy fun and joy. Between this and the new Ridge Racer I'm seriously fucked off.

You just know this is the type of twat who says things like "synergy", "zeitgeist", "paradigm" and "singing from the same hymn sheet" in every bleeding meeting he attends.

Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are some of the best games ever created. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says that they want people to forget those great titles of the past where gameplay was king and are going for that 11th "gamer type" who think that Bobby Kotick is a swell guy and think that the Call of Duty licence is under-utilized.

After this title, he hopes to bring EA's Skate franchise up to date by dropping would-be shredders into a post apocalyptic setting where they have to skate their way through famine, pestulance and zombies that just don't understand the way of the board. with SSX: DD under our belts when we begin Skate: Shoot High Infinite Target, we should be able to get the tricks down to the press of a single button

corrected

Why the fuck would a snowboarding game need to appeal to every time of person in the world? It's a fucking snowboarding game, the only gamer types they should be aiming for are people who like snowboarding and people who like SSX.

Also, what the fuck is he talking about with Star Trek and Batman? IT's not a fucking movie, it's a game, how is that even slightly relevant.

That interview is giving me a nervous breakdown.

Which genius can we pick to sort out the SSX franchise after we fucked it up by making it a bit emo after SSX3?

Someone who knows about what makes satisfying gameplay...

Someone who has been proven to sell units....

Maybe someone with a successful EA BIG sports franchise background....

Some who can provide a game that is more than just a series of bullshit PR soundbytes....

I know! Let's get the daft cunt behind that videogaming wet fart "Facebreaker"!

Presumably EA also exclusively employ babysitters from a pool of catholic clergy and scout masters.

Fucking gamer types! What a prick.

I know. It's just a horrible misguided approach to marketing based games design.

It's like trying to make a film that appeals to fans of hollywood romcoms, gritty eastern european art house, historical docufilms and 3D sci-fi epics all in one.