IGNORED

Fastest selling game of all time

Phelan

Who the fuck are you, Mr sarcastic new guy? :D

Perhaps MW1&2 are on the list of games you have still to get "around to". That would go some way to explaining why you need held by the hand to take your imagination past why "extremely impressive multiplayer mechanics" makes for a "multiplayer for the hardcore to die for". I'll give you some clues, but do get back to me if it's still not clear. You give the player a control system so silky smooth that you could slip right off your couch playing it, add in pixel perfect collision detection and weapons that perform consistently, add in a few humans and you have a theatre where skill can see you defeat your opposition through skill, without any hint that the technical aspects of the game prevented that in any way. If you took a bullet to the head from 100 yards away, it's because you left your head sticking out and the game facilitated the other player to hit it with a bullet, if he had the skill to do so. Not, the other player couldn't see you for fog or lack of draw distance or dodgy hit detection or inaccuracy of the 3D environment etc etc etc. I do hope the definition of "extremely impressive multiplayer mechanics" is becoming less clouded for you and that your proven limitations in imagination can translate that into how seasoned gamers might benefit, exploit, appreciate, showcase their skills and enjoy such a technically well prepared game world.

Build it (well) and they will come.

Excellent, I'm glad you finally got round to some detailed analysis.

However, I'm still interested in the totality of reasons why military FPSs get so much support. One contributing factor is that certain people have fun playing them. Another might be the multiplayer whose defining characteristics you have elucidated on so well. And the "hugely impressive" production values, of course.

Do you concede, however, that there are also other factors at work here that require a more in-depth analysis? Perhaps there is also a tiny correlation between the amount of marketing that gets done and the number of copies that are sold?

Perhaps you, or anyone else, can identify other contributing factors?

Anyway, enough of this idle speculation: I expect nothing less than a detailed thesis from you by tomorrow morning.

Holy lol.

If by marketing you mean every 15 year old in the world threatened with becoming a social outcast at school while simultaneously acting like a sociopath online if they aren't playing it, then your studies would be weighted with a certain gravitas of the unholy truth for which you seek, you fucking mentalist.

However, I'm still interested in the totality of reasons why military FPSs get so much support. One contributing factor is that certain people have fun playing them. Another might be the multiplayer whose defining characteristics you have elucidated on so well. And the "hugely impressive" production values, of course.

Perhaps you, or anyone else, can identify other contributing factors?

Guns, shooting people and explosions are fucking great fun.

I remember way back when Halo 3 was on the way and I was flamed from highest heights for suggesting that they should give up on the single player and focus on the multiplayer because that's all that the people playing FPS will be playing in a few years.

Roll on the end of 2010 and this is effectively what has happened to CoD. it's all about the multiplayer, the single player is just a small aside annoyance that the devs feel as though they have to include sell to that small group of idiots (and yes I do actually know a few) who do not play online yet continue to buy the CoD games on an annual basis.

If they were to remove the campaign entirely some people would be up in arms yet they seem to get away with putting the tiniest bit of effort into it instead and producing a sub-standard product.

Has the single player FPS died a death due to the rise of multiplayer?

The only single player/campaign FPS experiences that I can think of that I have really enjoyed recently are Borderlands and Fallout 3 both of which aren't true FPSs in the classical sense.

Halo Reach had a great single player you madman. As did Halo 3 for that matter. Worst 'I told you so' ever.

Yeah, I picked the wrong horse but my point still stands in general. halo's single player has always been good, apart from the slight dip in 2 but that was quite clearly due to them putting more resources into the online stuff. Halo is very much the expception though in that it has focus on both the single player and the multiplayer.

For all the flaws you could list, for all the games you could describe as superior, I'm still gonna get more game time out of Black Ops than anything else released between now and the next COD. And that's why it's the fastest selling game of all time.

Are you telling us that you've bought millions of copies?

I really do not consider 'Block Ops' to be shit in any way.

I don't see why it can't be accepted for what it is, is a totally linear and scripted ride and sometimes that kind of thing can be exactly what's needed.

It almost feels refreshing after spending lots of time playing Halo and FO:NV. It is very shallow and dumb and regressive in a lot of ways but this COD game has it where it counts, it's a relentlessly entertaining single-player game that doesn't let up for one moment.

I certainly do NOT wish to see every game attempt to follow in cod's footsteps but variety is the spice of life and all.

I was massively disappointed by how linear and short Black Ops was. On loading up the game, I was impressed by the production values and the fact that they’d shelled out on big-name actors like Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia, but the cutscenes went on forever, and nothing I did appeared to have any discernible effect on the action. Two hours later, I’m sat watching the credits. What the fuck.

It almost feels refreshing after spending lots of time playing Halo and FO:NV. It is very shallow and dumb and regressive in a lot of ways but this COD game has it where it counts, it's a relentlessly entertaining single-player game that doesn't let up for one moment.

Yeah, i'd agree with that. I've practically zero interest in the multiplayer - I played a reasonable amount of MW2 online and didn't really enjoy it, but i'll probably borrow this off someone for the single player. I'd buy it if it was like a tenner or something.

Loved CoD4s single player, some of the scenario's were utterly brilliant, played the multiplayer for a while but just didn't enjoy it. Ignored World at War then rented Modern Warfare 2 which, in single player, was embarassing imo. Played a little of the multiplayer of that, still didn't like it, haven't bothered with Black Ops at all.

The thing is, there's so many games out there now, there's something for everyone wether its buying something thats only recently been released or heading back a little and enjoying something older. Most of the people I talk to about games have talked about Black Ops for the past week, they know I'm not a fan but they're enjoying it and good on them although the amount of copies that have been sold worries me as it leads to other publishers/developers following suit and trying to take them on with something thats exactly the same game with a different logo attatched (Medal of Honour springs to mind for this year).

That'll only really stifle development, and whilst I'm all for dumb action/Bruckheimer style products as they're perfect for vegging out to, the shrinking number of games that require a little more effort and interaction on the players part is growing into other genre's to the extent that rather than trying to advance the media of videogames developers will be forced to just release something that will attract a large number of sales for a year until the next instalment is released.

CoD has Eminem, guys. Just sayin.

I guess it's because the average player can relate to CoD's military setting more than Halo's sci-fi one. Same as with any military-themed media in general. I think the slick military/action movie-veneer is the right balance for people, because I doubt something actually realistic like ArmA II will ever be as popular.

Also CoD seems to be an everyman game where anyone can pick up the simple rules (you and a gun vs) and do well, which I imagine is similar to Fifa, and be constantly rewarded for it. And people stick to yearly updates because all their friends buy it. Maybe Halo was the accessible FPS for a while, but CoD seemed to become more accessible after CoD4.

I mostly like both series so the continual fanboy wars can be pretty lame.

I was massively disappointed by how linear and short Black Ops was. On loading up the game, I was impressed by the production values and the fact that they’d shelled out on big-name actors like Michael Douglas and Andy Garcia, but the cutscenes went on forever, and nothing I did appeared to have any discernible effect on the action. Two hours later, I’m sat watching the credits. What the fuck.

2 hours? I know I did it on a sucker setting (hardened) thinking it would give me a nice challenge (that resulted in me getting my ass kicked over and over and taking extra time) but even so... it wasn't that short, was it?

:lol: :lol:

Well done Sir!

I remember way back when Halo 3 was on the way and I was flamed from highest heights for suggesting that they should give up on the single player and focus on the multiplayer because that's all that the people playing FPS will be playing in a few years.

Roll on the end of 2010 and this is effectively what has happened to CoD. it's all about the multiplayer, the single player is just a small aside annoyance that the devs feel as though they have to include sell to that small group of idiots (and yes I do actually know a few) who do not play online yet continue to buy the CoD games on an annual basis.

If they were to remove the campaign entirely some people would be up in arms yet they seem to get away with putting the tiniest bit of effort into it instead and producing a sub-standard product.

Has the single player FPS died a death due to the rise of multiplayer?

The only single player/campaign FPS experiences that I can think of that I have really enjoyed recently are Borderlands and Fallout 3 both of which aren't true FPSs in the classical sense.

No, I don't think that's entirely right. All the Halos that I've played (1,2,3) have had what I would call excellent SP - I'd be surprised if ODST and Reach disappointed me.

However, I played through both MW ande MW2 SPs, and wouldn't play them again...even though I vastly prefer the MP of MW2 to Halo, despite being (up until having no time to play the new ones) a massive Halo fanboy.

So I guess I'm saying that the should ditch SP in things like MW, but not Halo. Except it's not that simple, because the Special Ops in MW2 are vastly superior as a single player experience to the campaign.

I infinitely preferred the campaign of Bad Company to the Modern Warfare ones, really.

No, I don't think that's entirely right. All the Halos that I've played (1,2,3) have had what I would call excellent SP - I'd be surprised if ODST and Reach disappointed me.

However, I played through both MW ande MW2 SPs, and wouldn't play them again...even though I vastly prefer the MP of MW2 to Halo, despite being (up until having no time to play the new ones) a massive Halo fanboy.

So I guess I'm saying that the should ditch SP in things like MW, but not Halo. Except it's not that simple, because the Special Ops in MW2 are vastly superior as a single player experience to the campaign.

I infinitely preferred the campaign of Bad Company to the Modern Warfare ones, really.

CoD used to be all about the single player though which is my point really. CoD has gone the way that I said FPS should and look at the impact.