Activision shuts down Bizarre Creations

Corleth the Fey

I hope it's just a rumour but it could turn out to be the case.

They've made consistently brilliant racing games but every attempt of doing something different has never been to the high water mark of their previous games.

If true, I hope all employees land on their feet. It's disappointing that no Publisher allows for mistakes in this industry anymore.

My only response to this idea is worrying what will happen to Geometry Wars.

Oh that's nice. There's bunch of talented people with families who might be getting the boot, thanks to a publisher that didn't know its arse from its elbow when it came to marketing a title like Blur.

:angry:

Oh, and the timing of putting out a Bond title for 360 & PS3, just a week before Black Ops ...

Talk about being dealt a bad hand.

If it is true and you want a sad irony overload then dig out the issue of Edge with the Blur cover. From memory they spent 4 pages slagging Sega and Microsoft off, ending with how thrilled they were to finally be hooked up with a quality publisher like Activision instead.

Bizarre creations have repeatedly been handed a bad hand since, well, MSR. And even then Sega screwed up.

Actually, they might have been ok with PGR2, but I've never got the impression they've had the right support. Hell, releasing Blur to clash with Split Second was hardly a fantastic masterplan either. Way to cannablise each others sales.

If it is true and you want a sad irony overload then dig out the issue of Edge with the Blur cover. From memory they spent 4 pages slagging Sega and Microsoft off, ending with how thrilled they were to finally be hooked up with a quality publisher like Activision instead.

Digging not required:

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/interview-bizarre-creations%E2%80%99-martyn-chudley

Embarrassing. If this is all true, I'd go as far as horrifying actually. The line about the Blizzard deal is the worst bit:

'We had this phone call that was scheduled for all these heads of studios to make this big announcement and it was to announce the merger between Activision and Blizzard. [...]We’ve the full weight of this monstrosity above us, which has good and bad connotations, because obviously, the greater the expectation, the greater the pressure, and the exposure."

Will anyone else want to let Activision touch them with a barge pole any more?

The head honchos at BC probably got a fat payday from the deal, as will whoever El Presidente Kotick snaps up next. So yes. As usual it's the poor sods on the ground get the shaft.

Whilst I don't want to belittle the situation for those now seeking employment, this is hardly surprising. I approach it more with the quiet resignation befitting of the news that the guy down the road has once again taken to beating his long-suffering wife.

Bizarre creations have repeatedly been handed a bad hand since, well, MSR. And even then Sega screwed up.

Actually, they might have been ok with PGR2, but I've never got the impression they've had the right support. Hell, releasing Blur to clash with Split Second was hardly a fantastic masterplan either. Way to cannablise each others sales.

I think both Blur and Split Second had pretty poor sales; even combined, it wouldn't have been very good. I seem to recall that Blur had pretty heavy advertising as well, so I don't think the problem was Activision not spending.

That Bond game, though - I don't recall seeing a single advert for that, and even the box looked incredibly cheap and nondescript. It seems madness to pay for Daniel Craig, Joss Stone, and an actual Bond scriptwriter, commission a top-tier developer, and then put it out in a year with no Bond film and no advertising. The lack of a Bond film isn't Activision or Bizarre's fault, but they could have plugged it a bit more.

I find it tough to be sympathetic towards anything affiliated with Activision these days. If they had any sense, they'd all jump ship to another company and put the boot on the other foot for once.

Oh yeah, suppose there'd probably be some legal contracts when they joined the Activison family preventing this from happening.

I think both Blur and Split Second had pretty poor sales; even combined, it wouldn't have been very good. I seem to recall that Blur had pretty heavy advertising as well, so I don't think the problem was Activision not spending.

Oh it had plenty of advertising, it was just that it was one of the worst marketing campaigns in recent memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IadngwQS398&feature=related

GB are also reporting this...

Bizarre Creations, the developer behind Project Gotham Racing, Blur, Geometry Wars, and the latest James Bond game, sub-titled Bloodstone, has been closed by Activision, according to a NeoGAF thread and our own confidential sources.

According to a source, Bizzarre Creations will be going through a "90-day consultation period, statutory redundancy." The NeoGAF thread on this subject states that all 200 or so staff at the studio have been made redundant.

A press release about this is said to be forthcoming.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/bizarre-creations-is-closed/2731/

A very sad day if true, I was hoping we'd see a sequel to the very underrated The Club. :(

Its a real shame, but they've had such a history of commercial flops lately im amazed they lasted this long. The marketing on Blur was so ill-conceived, I know people here liked it...but a realistic driving game with mario kart style weaponry? Not a good idea.

Commiserations to all affected though, hopefully theyre picked up by someone somehow, and we do get GW3 sometime.