Activision shuts down Bizarre Creations

Corleth the Fey

Well, more from the aspect of anyone who knows Mariokart. And everyone knows Mariokart. Yet in an advertising campaign you're kinda saying "Mariokart is dull, we're better" - it's not the best idea. Is Mariokart dull? Not really [for many who've played it!]. So yeah, you're kind of turning off the audience perhaps you're trying to target?

yeah completely agree with all that.

It's one of those ads where the marketing people think it's funny, have a chuckle, and in their self congratulatory back patting forget that they were supposed to be selling a game.

Yeah after rewatching it, that's obviously a toad character, but at the time there was bare advertising for modnation racers, really hammering the social friends approach of LBP, so I made the link from that.

That's really bad comms between marketing and developers then, because Blur mimics Mario Kart mechanics almost entirely and makes bare references to it throughout the game (red carapace!).

:huh:

:facepalm:

Marketing and insulting Nintendo aside - in my opinion Blur is one of the best games on the 360. It's completely accomplished, polished to a sheen, and just incredible fun. 4 player split screen elicits shouting and laughing reminiscent of Goldeneye 64.

Marketing and insulting Nintendo aside - in my opinion Blur is one of the best games on the 360. It's completely accomplished, polished to a sheen, and just incredible fun. 4 player split screen elicits shouting and laughing reminiscent of Goldeneye 64.

Now why didn't they use that on the advert. Madness!

PGR4, a 360 only release, sold twice as many copies as Blur across both platforms. It was also the highest selling PGR title in the series.

Really?

Have you got a source for that? The "standard wisdom" in the industry is that it flopped (compared to PGR3 and FM2) and I did see some numbers at the time that seemed to confirm it, but if that's not right i'd be very keen to know as it paints everything that happened after that point in a very different light.

From the piece posted earlier

It was aimed at people who like to driveyshoot! Yeah, it's still kinda hard to know who's going to go for it...but as The Sarge says, focus on the multiplayer, the fun, and do not use the tagline "RACE LIKE A BIG BOY" - which has to go down as pretty weak. Ohh you're a big boy! Big boy now! Be a big boy and race! Race! [no mention of shootyface/car/multiplayer etc. You won't make friends on this game! Yeah...cos games are best without friends. Get rid of your friends list].

Yeah, that was waste. guess it was just a bad marketing campaign in general.

It's got Vitamin K in! They best eat it!

I loved brocolli even as a kid!

:huh:

:facepalm:

modern colloquial term meaning abundant usually.

Sad to see British jobs lost but Bizarre Creations have been on a downward spiral since PGR2. To be fair though a few of their releases had issues that where no fault of their own (rushed development times for PGR3 and Blood Stone).

I'll go against popular opinion and mention that I thought the single player of Blur was really mediocre.

Really?

Have you got a source for that? The "standard wisdom" in the industry is that it flopped (compared to PGR3 and FM2) and I did see some numbers at the time that seemed to confirm it, but if that's not right i'd be very keen to know as it paints everything that happened after that point in a very different light.

Various sources put PGR4 above 2 million (not just VGCHARTZ). As a percentage userbase sold to, it perhaps didn't do as well as PGR3, but in total sales it did indeed sell more. It was bundled for a period of time with the Elite in some territories, but PGR3 was also bundled.

Blur was out on PC, so it's hard to find exact numbers, but at best across all formats it probably sold about a million.

I'm not sure where the common perception that PGR4 was a flop came from really. For sure, it wasn't a Gears or Halo seller, but 2 million for a single platform release is pretty good, and the series shows steady growth since MSR. Perhaps Blur might have fared better as a mode in PGR5 (though I guess MS own the IP) which was extended into a game at a later date, in the same vein as Geometry Wars. Who knows?

I'll go against popular opinion and mention that I thought the single player of Blur was really mediocre.

I don't think many would disagree with that. I play blur every couple of weeks and I've only ever played it single player when my internet was down. it's a masterclass in xbox live gaming.

May have fared better download only...

I assume Activision retain the IP, but that would have been the obvious route for a sequel. Put enough additional content in there so the existing users upgraded (and a sizable portion of people who played Blur online loved it and would buy in again) and sell the concept again to a new audience as something you can have on your hard disk to dip into now and again. It would certainly have the potential to reach Battlefield 1943 levels of sales on word of mouth alone I reckon.

The ad had a very obvious Mario Kart theme. (at least in my opinion)

Here it is again for those who've forgotten just how bad it was...

I haven't played MNR, but from what I've seen of it, it's nothing like the game they are cussing in that TV ad.

:)

Also, perhaps I'm alone here, but that's a great advert. Perhaps not in a unit shifting sense, but compared to most videogame adverts on TV that's funny, knowing without being alienating to non gamers, and gets the concept across nicely. Most videogame adverts I have to watch through my fingers because they're so buttock clenchingly awful, but that's pretty decent.

Also, perhaps I'm alone here, but that's a great advert. Perhaps not in a unit shifting sense, but compared to most videogame adverts on TV that's funny, knowing without being alienating to non gamers, and gets the concept across nicely. Most videogame adverts I have to watch through my fingers because they're so buttock clenchingly awful, but that's pretty decent.

It can't be a great "advert" because it's meant to "advertise" the product in a fashion that will sell it.

Mumblemumble jokes/artistically good/funny/Lols. Not really the point of an advert.

It's kinda chuckle funny once, it's not clever or funny enough to be iconic - think Tango advert.

You've got to love the conceit that some tedious shitfest with realistic graphics is automatically more fun than Mario Kart.

I can see how the gigantic flaming red balls, neon explosions and cars flipping 20 feet into the air might be considered hyper realistic.

It can't be a great "advert" because it's meant to "advertise" the product in a fashion that will sell it.

Mumblemumble jokes/artistically good/funny/Lols. Not really the point of an advert.

It's kinda chuckle funny once, it's not clever or funny enough to be iconic - think Tango advert.

Well, in retrospect we know it clearly failed to sell the product, so yes, in that sense perhaps it isn't a great advert. But it is undeniably amusing. I don't think they set out to create The Wire or something, but if that came on the TV in among the usual adverts for games which are either a 30 second military fetishists paradise or people sitting on the sofa with Terry Wogan I'd have noticed it and laughed, which is pretty much all you can hope for, for an advert these days.

The reason Blur failed is because pre release everyone saw either dodgy videos with terrible graphics or heard about realistic cards shooting lightning bolts. Compare this to the Split Second trailer that looked gorgeous and was beautifully described in previews, it's no wonder people were put off by Blur. I know i certainly wasn't interested seeing a car fly in the air after a blue shock wave hit it.

I think the developers are right in that it's an odd combination to sell. Full Auto is a similar game but that sold itself due to it's bright colours, fantasy vehicles and physical weapons. Blur was just an odd mishmash that sounded terrible and looked terrible until release and by then no one cared.

The reason Blur failed is because pre release everyone saw either dodgy videos with terrible graphics or heard about realistic cards shooting lightning bolts. Compare this to the Split Second trailer that looked gorgeous and was beautifully described in previews, it's no wonder people were put off by Blur. I know i certainly wasn't interested seeing a car fly in the air after a blue shock wave hit it.

I think the developers are right in that it's an odd combination to sell. Full Auto is a similar game but that sold itself due to it's bright colours, fantasy vehicles and physical weapons. Blur was just an odd mishmash that sounded terrible and looked terrible until release and by then no one cared.

You think the few million or so sales they needed to make Blur a success was stunted by it's preview coverage?

Seriously?

Blur failed because it came out during second Christmas ie may 2010 where for 4 straight weeks you had aaa title after aaa a title coming out. It didn't help it that 2 other racing games with arguably more mindshare also came out the same week and let's not forget the purple elephant red dead redemption which canabalized most game sales for that month anyway. The ad was very big here, and I quite enjoyed it meself. It came in every single time I was in gamestop and it played on tv during shows playing to the gaming audience. It really just came out at a bad time.

The reason Blur failed is because pre release everyone saw either dodgy videos with terrible graphics or heard about realistic cards shooting lightning bolts.

Pre-release it had the beta available where a large portion of xbox owners could actually try it. I know it is anecdotal, but a lot of friends on my Xbox Live list who like their racing games, tried it and hated it. Mainly because of the handling, which is fucking dire.

With their pedigree in racing games, it should have felt amazing driving the cars, but it didn't.

Split Second sold just as badly no?

I played PGR2 last night. Scorching round Edinburgh is still brilliant. I'm not sure the handling model from PGR2 has ever been bettered either. It just feels so right, twanging cars into corners and roaring off down the Royal Mile is just superb to this very day.

Blur failed because you should never mix cars and guns/weapons.

never, ever, ever...

(And anyone who cites Mario Kart is wrong)

have you gone mad?!

Carmageddon?!

Interstate 76!?!

Twisted Metal!!!

Half Life 2!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!111111!!one!!

Micro Machines!!

Quarantine!?!

Yes and Mario Kart!!?!

Modnation racers might not be everybodies cup of Tea but it's far from "poor".

yeah

I can see why people didn't get on with the loading times, perhaps dismissed the title as a decent track and character creation tool with generic kart racing gameplay, but it's actually pretty bloody excellent. It's got some lovely drifting, requires a level of weapon and boost use strategy I think comparable to that required in Blur, and has a nice balance between racing and weapons use. It was that last point that I didn't get on with in Blur. Where as Mario Kart is a racing game with some weapons, Blur is as much a battle mode on a track as it is a racing game. Evidently, some people really liked that, but I was expecting Mario Kart with real cars, and it didn't have that feel at all.

Something like Twisted Metal is a decent example - I spent a summer indoors playing it with friends back in the late 90s...

However the argument put forward is not quite right. Cars and weapons = yes. Car Racing and weapons = no (generally).

In TW your goal was to destroy the other player/s. That was it, you got it, weapons were needed. It also made it pretty inclusive; if you werent the best driver you could still have fun and sneak a win here and there. As soon as you add race elements you're opening yourself up to a whole world of hurt.

And the game itself may have alienated their traditional audience too.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely true. I was a die-hard MSR/PGR guy and many of you that play with me/against me will understand that.

Blur totally missed the mark. I was there day one for PGR2 through 4 yet the weapons addition to blur just felt wrong, in my eyes, as a PGR veteran. When I eventually got it for £5 months later I didn't regret not getting it at launch. To me, it felt like Bizarre had got bored of doing what they were great at and wanted to play with a side project before they got back to the real thing.

PGR didn't need weapons, or rivalries or any of that bollocks. PGR provided the best online racing experience bar none and none of that was due to gimmicks.

I'm guessing that in alienating me, they didn't gain 2 other followers or this wouldn't be happening.

All weapon based 'real' racing games are gimmicky and don't do well. The likes of Mario Kart and Wipeout are clearly something of their own making and not the result of some 12 year old sat in his bedroom going "wouldn't it be cool if..." That coolness last a few seconds when brought into the real world.

Also, Bizarre's fanbase is getting older (most now into their 30s), not younger, so appealing to a 12 year old boys fantazies won't get you far with them.