Activision shuts down Bizarre Creations

Corleth the Fey

Blur was shit. There I said it. I hated it from day 1, I didn't get the whole premise of real style racing with weapons, and quite frankly Split Second did it better. I bought it purely out of loyalty to the makers of my favourite racing games.

The supposedly brilliant online community, while having some fun races, is totally misrepresented, as it basically involved getting to the front, if you were lucky / skillful enough, and then running out of defense and taking a missile up the ass. It wasn't fun, and it didn't reward skill.

The single player was for all purposes more of a bastard than Motorstorm. Get to the front? Got some defense? Doesn't matter the AI has more weapons than you can ever hope to block.

The reason it didn't sell (IMO) is the reason I put in the original thread when BC announced PGR with weapons. It wouldn't work, it doesn't work, and real racing with weapons will never work. Cartoony style racing (SS, MK) makes it a bit less of a bastard, and doesn't make you want to go and throw the joypad through the telly quite so often.

1. You talk crap. Split second did it better? With it's boring after one view set pieces and incredibly cheap AI? Plus the drifing was proper gash.

2. The online community is great. I have around 50 people on my friends list that I not only met on Blur, but also race against pretty much every day.

3. Getting to the front if you were lucky/skillful enough? I've started a race in 20th and DNF'd everyone else on the track. It's just like any other game, you just need to learn how to play it.

4. Single player a bastard? You must be crap at games then because it was too easy, even on hard.

5. The reason it didn't sell is because most of the gaming community only laps up those shit FPS by numbers that are released on a yearly basis.

Interesting how some people absolutely adore Blur (and so do I), while others hate it.

I was a fan of MSR and all the PGR games, although I was late to the party with each of 'm. Different so with Blur. I saw the announcement, thought "what the hell", then played a demo at the '09 GamesCom, and absolutely loved it. Played the beta on the 360 to death.

Then the game came out, and only a few people from the forum got it. But as we had so much fun with that group, more and more people came in. We've actually had time where 20-player rooms (which other, fast-paced console racing game lets you race with TWENTY people at the same time?!) were filled almost entirely with forumites. And we had an absolute blast.

A stable and quite large community came out of that, and we played Blur pretty much every nights for three months straight. Rivalries were made, battles were fought, races were raced and it was all SO close.

The thing about Blur is that it's extremely well balanced. No matter the items (the 'blue shell'like lightning bolts are fairly easy to dodge, if you're good), if you're good, you'll be up ahead. If you're not, you'll be behind. There's little luck involved, since you can decide which items you want to pick up yourself. There's so much more strategy involved.

Finally, some sense.

Blur may not be a bad game but it is a bad racing game. Assessed as a racing game, it is poor.

Nonsense. It's the best racing game in years. Sure as hell more fun than those endurance races on Forza. Woooo 80 laps of Nissan Speedway GET THE FUCK IN because that isn't boring! How much exactly have you played of Blur?

It is a racing game - just not a traditional one. The race is between you and the guys in front and behind you and there's weapons involved. I weep for people who don't get Blur - but whatever. I'm playing Bizzare Creation games all this week in their honour. PGR 3 is lovely.

Indeed. There's so much strategy involved, all dependent on track, car, mod load out and opponent.

Anyone who wants to get wrecked come into community events(I don't do those 10 player lobbies any more - they got boring when I was getting 40+ win streaks) and look for xZZRxBONGONOOB - #195 Driver Score, #80 total fans, #44 ALL TIME ONLINE WINS. A TRUE LEGEND X50

Nonsense. It's the best racing game in years. Sure as hell more fun than those endurance races on Forza.

You are an idiot for 2 reasons:

1- Comparing Blur with Forza Motorsport.

2- Saying Blur is a racing game, when it's clearly a shoot-em-up on wheels.

And before you start - I've played both games.

I think blur got it very right. Skip ahead 7 month to nfs hot pursuit and their car combat mode left me bored in a month. And what's this about racing games and weapons being a shit idea. last time I checked you euros loved wipeout. I don't understand the hate for blur. I wasn't a blur zombie. I got into it a month after it came out and loved the multiplayer. Till this day its absolutely brilliant. It's modern carfare

Wipeout = not a car. It's futuristic and thus we believe and buy into the fiction all the more. It works, where mostly grounded based games do not - look at MarioKart. Not a proper racer with slidey turns etc; again it works. Wipeout is closer to MarioKart than it is to Blur.

You've also said you loved the multiplayer. PGR 2 (best example); amazing online. Yet the Single Player mode and structure was awesome too. Where's the SP love? That's a big issue with the game.

Anyone who wants to get wrecked come into community events(I don't do those 10 player lobbies any more - they got boring when I was getting 40+ win streaks) and look for xZZRxBONGONOOB - #195 Driver Score, #80 total fans, #44 ALL TIME ONLINE WINS. A TRUE LEGEND X50

I know you are trying to stick up for blur but comments like this really don't help your case. Any game which someone is good at will be viewed positively in their eyes. I don't have blur any more but I'd have loved to have had a session of Blur and then a session of PGR4 with you and then, as we are playing, discuss the relative merits of each as a racing game.

For once, I agree with meerman that you cannot compare the forza's, PGRs of the world with Blur. It's as justified as comparing quake arena and forza.

You like it and that is great. It would have been even better for bizarre if more people had liked it too but they didn't.

Wipeout = not a car. It's futuristic and thus we believe and buy into the fiction all the more. It works, where mostly grounded based games do not - look at MarioKart. Not a proper racer with slidey turns etc; again it works. Wipeout is closer to MarioKart than it is to Blur.

You've also said you loved the multiplayer. PGR 2 (best example); amazing online. Yet the Single Player mode and structure was awesome too. Where's the SP love? That's a big issue with the game.

Single Player was fine & fun. It taught you how to play the game. People are so quick to complain about the blue shell ie lighting that the AI throws at you when your in front. But Blur has a shield powerup!!!! It can be blocked as well as avoided with driving skill. There is no way to avoid a blue shell in Mario Kart. People these days are just so quick to drop things, me included. This week i picked up PGR4 again because I did the same thing. I played for an hour wasn't really getting it, said it was shit and got rid of it. I'm playing it again this week. I still think it's incredibly boring, BUT I can appreciate it. It seems like most people here are stuck in their ways and can't appreciate it for what it was. Blur wasn't shit, it just did catch. I can list of tons of games that were amazing but didn't grab the attention of the populous. Next time use all that energy to rally support around a great game thats not quite getting the attention it deserves.

Blur is an arcade racer. Comparing it to a sim racer like Forza and PGR is nonsensical. Amifreak amend your claim. Blur is the BEST ARCADE RACER.

PS If one of your hang ups on Blur is that you can't buy into the fiction of real cars shooting powerups, then why are you playing games? I guess I can't buy into the fiction of alien zealots wanting to wipe out the human race, or super heroes fighting some of my favorite video games characters. :o Most video games are about selling this kind of fiction.

But then I may have just answered my own question. Another one of Blur's problems: It didn't sell its fiction properly. <_<

I think most people are in agreement in here to be honest.

Blur is a not a racing game in the traditional sense and therefore relies on different mechanics to traditional racing games. Regardless of the semantics, it isn't a racing game in the same way that Forza and PGR are.

Some people like it, some don't.

No dissagreement yet, right?

The reason that it failed for me was because it didn't distance itself enough from its legacy to gain enough new fans but did enough to alienate PGRs hard core fanbase.

Regardless of my or anyone else's views about the value of cars and guns the reality is that by alienating me they lost at least 3 sales of the game. My passion for PGR2, 3 and 4 sold at least 2 copies of each to mates.

My point is, that regardless of your desire to change direction you cannot abandon your fanbase. Evolve with your fanbase, yes, but don't abandon them.

But then I may have just answered my own question. Another one of Blur's problems: It didn't sell its fiction properly. <_<

It didn't sell anything about itself very well.

I think most people are in agreement in here to be honest.

Blur is a not a racing game in the traditional sense and therefore relies on different mechanics to traditional racing games. Regardless of the semantics, it isn't a racing game in the same way that Forza and PGR are.

Some people like it, some don't.

No dissagreement yet, right?

The reason that it failed for me was because it didn't distance itself enough from its legacy to gain enough new fans but did enough to alienate PGRs hard core fanbase.

Regardless of my or anyone else's views about the value of cars and guns the reality is that by alienating me they lost at least 3 sales of the game. My passion for PGR2, 3 and 4 sold at least 2 copies of each to mates.

My point is, that regardless of your desire to change direction you cannot abandon your fanbase. Evolve with your fanbase, yes, but don't abandon them.

Sir I think we've reached common ground. but i don't really agree with your last point.

BeeJay, to be fair, this game turned out to be quite special (to my surprise) with a nice underlying rock-paper-scissors structure that only shone through after prolonged play. It's still not my genre, but I'm glad I gave it a thorough play-through.

The people at Bizarre themselves actually admitted (after they joined Activision) how they had to rush PGR4 to make the planned release date. I wouldn't say you can see that in the game (PGR4 is an absolutely amazing game and many modern game is much less finished so), but it's a shame nonetheless.

As for Blur: I think it's one of the best arcade racing games ever. The way it uses power-ups is really smart, much more so than in, say, Mario Kart. The handling is perfect for aggressive racing, made for throwing your car around (bends and into opponents) and drift about. The whole package is so very satisfying and addictive.

Blur is an arcade racer. Comparing it to a sim racer like Forza and PGR is nonsensical. Amifreak amend your claim. Blur is the BEST ARCADE RACER.

PGR isn't a sim racer and Blur isn't an arcade racer. They are both hybrids.

Bizarre might have made the handling and courses a touch more arcadey in Blur, but you are still driving vehicles with realistic elements to the handling around real life courses, that still require you to take corners relatively realistically by slowing down or taking realistic lines.

Chucking weapons into PGR didn't make it an arcade racer. It made it PGR with weapons, more of an arcade game, but not an arcade racer.

All this talk of sim and arcade racers is ruining this thread. It's as if everyone has to be either a sim or arcade racer fan. PEOPLE CAN LIKE BOTH! And racers can combine elements of both, it doesn't have to stick religiously to the arcade or sim theme. Lets just celebrate all the fine moments that Bizarre gave us. PGR2 was my first online experience and one I'll never forget. :(

I am cry. :(

And racers can combine elements of both, it doesn't have to stick religiously to the arcade or sim theme.

Well yeah, and I think Bizarre achieved this better than anyone else. They managed to get me, a pure arcade racing fan to play something a little bit realistic and really enjoy it.

Metropolis Street Racer will always remain one of the highlights of my time playing games. Racing around world cities, time accurate, with that ace location specific Richard Jacques sound track, the most immersive racing experience I've ever had.

That was a really touching video by Bizarre, it's a really sad day for the industry and for fans of their work.

I was introduced to Bizarre Creations through Formula One on the PlayStation and every single one of their racing game afterwards has been about distilling what makes racing so exciting, through a beautifully inspired, arcade handling model.

It's a great shame one of the best racing game developers is closing today. :(

So I say tonite in honour of Bizarre Creations' final day as a studio . Blur fans play Blur tonite. PGR fans play PGR. The Club fans play The Club. Geometry Wars fans you know what to do. As long as it's Bizarre, just do it.

This is a very good idea. We should all have a PGR4 sesh.

I was a huge fan of PGR4 but unfortunately can't partake in any online racing as I let my 360 go a few months ago for a PS3.

Despite this, I just felt compelled to buy the game a second ago online, so I could own a copy again.

I'm going to miss Bizarre. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwIF5ThzyjA

May this forever be remembered as the most addictive arcade racing game, ever.

So I say tonite in honour of Bizarre Creations' final day as a studio . Blur fans play Blur tonite. PGR fans play PGR. The Club fans play The Club. Geometry Wars fans you know what to do. As long as it's Bizarre, just do it.

I might join in, but I'll be torn between PGR4 and Blur :ph34r: