rllmuk

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

I'm getting a huge Final Fantasy Tactics vibe here, which remains one of my favourite games ever, but I had never heard of the Tactics Ogre series before let alone played any of the games.

Are they set in the same universe as the FFT games? Is the gameplay similar?

Not same universe but very similar games, both this and FFT are Yasumi Matsuno's babies.

Not same universe but very similar games, both this and FFT are Yasumi Matsuno's babies.

I read a really gushing article about it on some RPG website a while back that it was one of the most genuinely mature games ever made - no black or white choices, only muddy medieval politics.

It's very similar to FFT though yes, the basic class sprites are essentially exactly the same, and the way you progress is very similar, down to the look and layout of the world map, the random battles, and recruiting generic party members in towns.

Basically, it's going to be an even more hardcore FFT - I played a little earlier this year when the fan translation patch was released, and it was pretty difficult. I stopped once I heard the remake was on the way. Personally, I can't wait.

Is it confirmed to be an Alexander Smith translation? Judging by the screens it certainly looks like it. His work on Vagrant Story, FFXII and the FF Tactics re-release was just superb.

I may be dreaming but I really hope this team stays together, to go on and create some original titles.

Is it confirmed to be an Alexander Smith translation? Judging by the screens it certainly looks like it. His work on Vagrant Story, FFXII and the FF Tactics re-release was just superb.

I may be dreaming but I really hope this team stays together, to go on and create some original titles.

Yeah, it was confirmed in a couple of sources, most recently a 8-4 play podcast. I too would love it if the guys started up the old band again after this reunion tour. :wub:

I'd love to see another Vagrant Story or even a remake of the original. I'd also take another mainline Final Fantasy from that team. FFXII is so much better than XIII.

Heh, while we're wishing for things, a remake of FFXII that followed the original vision of Balthier being the main character and generally didn't cause Mizuno a breakdown would also be awesome.

I read a really gushing article about it on some RPG website a while back that it was one of the most genuinely mature games ever made - no black or white choices, only muddy medieval politics.

It's very similar to FFT though yes, the basic class sprites are essentially exactly the same, and the way you progress is very similar, down to the look and layout of the world map, the random battles, and recruiting generic party members in towns.

Basically, it's going to be an even more hardcore FFT - I played a little earlier this year when the fan translation patch was released, and it was pretty difficult. I stopped once I heard the remake was on the way. Personally, I can't wait.

Oh man, I really admired the whole political goings on behind the scenes in FFT, and how they were carefully interwoven in with the main plot - a real sense of the main characters getting swept away in something much bigger and more sinister than any of them, or indeed the player, could imagine. It was one of the most well-developed and affecting stories in any game I've ever played.

This sounds right up my street!

• 3 weeks later...

FF Tactics never gripped me as much as Tactics Ogre did. IMO the story wasn't as engaging. Now that I scratch my head a bit, I'm not even sure I finished that! Might have to dust it off and see where I'm at; gotta couple of days to kill before I go back to work.

Which PSP should I get?

I think the Go is the one without a UMD slot, so you have to download everything off PSN to play on it, which means your reliant on everything being available on PSN.

This and third party games tend to cost about £10 more than the UMD versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Release date confirmed for EU:

Square Enix said today that SRPG Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will release in Europe on February 25. It’s to hit as a Premium Edition that includes a copy of the game, a 44-page art book – The World of Tactics Ogre – and a Mini Soundtrack CD.

VG2A7

:omg: :OMG: :omg:

Release date confirmed for EU:

VG2A7

:omg: :OMG: :omg:

that sounds relatively close to the limited edition version that square-enix made available in japan. I'll post pictures of the box tonight. my guess is that the soundtrack is the same 1-disc version with a limited number of selections. the official retail ost is 4 discs :o

from the sounds of the presser it made it out that all versions are premium edition, it is just being released as a premium edition.... anyway im gonna pre-order on play just to play it safe :)

I want more Ogre Battle, still to play the SNES VC one but i enjoyed the N64 back in the day....