IGNORED

Q: How tough is your Xbox?

PaB

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6084935.html

Xbox deflects real bullets

Irate Marylander shoots his roommates' console, but the 9mm round fails to penetrate its casing.

When called to investigate a shooting last Friday night, police in Anne Arundel County, Maryland found an unlikely culprit--an Xbox.

The Baltimore Sun reports that 34-year old Robert Preston Kersey had grown enraged by his roommates constantly playing their Xbox at high volume. According to the police report, Kersey emerged from his bedroom at 2 a.m. brandishing an automatic pistol. Rather than shoot his roommates, Kersey took aim at the offending Xbox and fired a single shot at the console. While the bullet's impact disabled the Xbox, its thick plastic casing deflected the 9mm round, which ricocheted away harmlessly.

Other than the Xbox, no injuries resulted from the incident. Kersey was later booked on two counts of reckless endangerment and one count of destruction of property.

When called to investigate a shooting last Friday night, police in Anne Arundel County, Maryland found an unlikely culprit--an Xbox.

I fail to see how an inaminate object can be culprit. Isn't it the 'victim' in this situation at any rate? Bloody Americans. :rolleyes:

The problem is the Xbox is too heavy and unwieldy to surreptitiously slip under your poncho in a fistful of dollars stylee. So there's obviously no useful purpose for this knowledge. Well except that if an xbox game ever pisses me off I'm going to need something better than a 9mm pistol to fuck my machine up.

Like a pneumatic drill.

Or a piledriver.

Or KOTOR.

How could an Xbox withstand a Gunshot?

This was talked about on uk.games.video.xbox yesterday...

A 9mm (.38 cal pistol probably) round will be doing anything from 800 to 1200 feet per second (fps) at the muzzle.

What probably happened is the guy missed the XBox all together. If it had been "friendly fire" however, you can be sure he'd have hit the bugger.

The bullet did damage the Xbox - the wording is vague, but the console seems to have stopped working. So it must have hit, even if it was a ricochet.

Yes. I was wondering how on earth it "disabled" the XBox without penetrating its shell.

What exactly could it of done to it to disable it if it didnt even get inside the casing!?

The bullet did damage the Xbox - the wording is vague, but the console seems to have stopped working. So it must have hit, even if it was a ricochet.

Yes. I was wondering how on earth it "disabled" the XBox without penetrating its shell.

What exactly could it of done to it to disable it if it didnt even get inside the casing!?

probably in the same way that if you held it above your head and dropped it on the floor while running a game it would stop working without the case being penetrated.

Probably shot through the power cord. :D

If the round was travelling fast enough (around 1100 feet per second depending on temperature and height above sea level) then the shock wave of the sound barrier breaking could have stirred things up enough inside to stop it working.

6mm hollow point rifle rounds will go through armour plate like it's not there. The speed is in excess of 4000 feet per second, and will set things like car alarms off etc. due to the shock wave.

Anyone want to donate an XBox for "armour testing" ?

probably in the same way that if you held it above your head and dropped it on the floor while running a game it would stop working without the case being penetrated.

Dropping it from 6 feet and it being hit by a small bullet arent exactly the same though are they?

HPS seems to have a much better explanation.

Dropping it from 6 feet and it being hit by a small bullet arent exactly the same though are they?

HPS seems to have a much better explanation.

they're the same in that a big impact will more likely than not cause problems with its operation. whether that is a really big impact, like being shot, or a smaller one like being dropped, the principle is the same...