IGNORED

Side Arms is the best side scrolling shooter ever!

Davros sock drawer

Gillingham Ice Rink! Man I remember playing the game there on a school trip!

My mate's Dad took us there a handful of times, and it was a question of doing the bare minimum of ice skating, before we would be allowed off to play Xain D'Sleena again!

There was another quite juicy game there, can't remember which though. I think it was so popular I couldn't get a look in.

It's funny, virtually every establishment I've ever been in, I can remember the arcade games they had. The local chip shop? Moon Patrol. My Dad's working man's club? Battlantis/Trojan. Fairfield Swimming Pool? Nemesis/Hypersports. Und so weiter.

Happy days.

Zybex was from Zepellin (one of its first releases), I love it - not least for its unusual weapons system.

Sorry, yeah.. Wrong Budget Team. I think Players did the Joe Blade series didn't they?

Zeppling also did that single screen Ninja Comamndo game too IIRC and are now Eutechnyxshitz. Draconus was another...they seem to imitate Thalamus a bit although had a certain art style where everything looked like crystal blobs.

Xain 'D Sleena got an ace PC port...

http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/Xain/Xain.html

My mate's Dad took us there a handful of times, and it was a question of doing the bare minimum of ice skating, before we would be allowed off to play Xain D'Sleena again!

There was another quite juicy game there, can't remember which though. I think it was so popular I couldn't get a look in.

It's funny, virtually every establishment I've ever been in, I can remember the arcade games they had. The local chip shop? Moon Patrol. My Dad's working man's club? Battlantis/Trojan. Fairfield Swimming Pool? Nemesis/Hypersports. Und so weiter.

Happy days.

Me too, Local Fish and chip shops - Terra Cresta, MagMax and Jackal

HartsDown swimming pool - Vanguard, Vulcan Venture

Chinese takeaway - Kung Fu Master & Hunchback

Manky Kebab shop in Margate - R Type

:) Happy Times

Well it was about a year ago. The one on the east most side of the seafront which is part arcade, part gambling den. Right at the back past all the driving and shooting games. There was also a Megalo with Bubble Bobble running on it's poorly setup screen, a Outrun sit down, Wonderboy in Monsterland and some other assorted "forgotten" games. The other places were just crap, with a HOTD4 being a possible exception

I like this 'remember what arcade games were in various places in your youth' thing, it could be a topic of it's own.

Here's mine anyway:

Chip shop near home: Cabal, then Blood Bros! (obviously good taste by the owner)

Chip shop near college: Prehistoric Isle 1930!

College lounge: SF2 + followups (obviously), Lightning Fighters and WWF Wrestlefest (which was super-popular, and stayed there for years)

Youth club: Legendary Wings, Gyruss

Video rental shop: SF2 (they got this on release, and I swear it made more money than any VHS rentals - always hordes around the machine for months)

Another great (but often forgot) "side an' vert" was Terra Force - follow up to Terra Cresta.

Thats got some very memorable music too. Reminds me of chrismas owing to the time of year i played it.

It has a certain, very solid playabilty feel to it. Very balanced - check it on Mame...

0.jpg

'Stateside' in Beeston had, from left to right roughly:

Gauntlet

Xain'd Sleena

Shackled

Altered Beast

Wonderboy in Monster Land

Haunted Castle

Something which I think was Kiki Kaikai

Double Dragon

R-Type

The swimming baths had Mutant Night, Kick and Run, and later Golden Axe.

Cascade in Nottingham was pretty damn good for a long time. Specifically I remember playing a lot of:

Gradius

Street Fighter

Street Fighter II

Final Fight

A Neo Geo with Nam 1975 and Magician Lord

Pit Fighter (oof)

Wardner

Outrun

... but there were loads more in there. It's been all gambling machines for years now :(

Traveling around the country a bit

Cwmbran leisure centre - Battlezone

Crappy Manston youth club - Asteroids

Tescos Broadstairs - Return of the Jedi

Oxford Ice rink - Black Tiger

Abingdon Sports centre -Street Fighter 2 and Samurai Showdown 2

Cherry's in Abingdon - Time soldier, Carrier Airwing

Eagle Video Lampeter - Strider, Art of Fighting 2

Conti's Lampeter - 1942 (Table top version)

Last time I went to Herne Bay we couldnt find anything good, but it was winter.

Cascade in Nottingham was pretty damn good for a long time.

Cascade was awesome, in the early 90s they must have had 30+ different machines ranging from mid 80s onwards, Ghosts n Goblins & R-Type right up to the latest fighters and racers.

The Namco arcade in the square was awesome too, full size Daytona and Ridge Racer cabs and the first time I saw Virtua Fighter.

In Nottingham we didn't actually need to go to the seaside for arcades, we had it all on our front doorstep. Now all I can find is a multi-game cabinet in the all-night pub next to Langtry's (forget the name), and even that's just a MAME cab.

Traveling around the country a bit

Tescos Broadstairs - Return of the Jedi

Abingdon Sports centre -Street Fighter 2 and Samurai Showdown 2

Cherry's in Abingdon - Time soldier, Carrier Airwing

It was the Co-Op in Broadstairs! It's a Tesco's now so I guess you're technically right.

I still have the middle kick button from that SF2 cabinet - Ah.. Casual arcade vandalism

Remember Cherry's had Thunder Dragon too!

Oh God, it all comes flooding back.

Probably a considerable spread during early '80s in Vlaardingen, Holland

My football club: Moon Patrol and Zaxxon

Rival Football Clubs: Break Out, Phoenix and Choplifter

Bar down Harbour: Pooyan and Yie Ar Kung Fu

Late '80's in Schiedam, Arcade on Hoogstraat:

Roadblasters

Operation Wolf

Bad Boys

Pacmania

OutRun

Arkanoid

Terra Force

Double Dragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I enjoyed Side Arms back in the day, great soundtrack too! My local snooker club back in the early 90s had a selection of Arcade Machines, the only place in my town to have them about still too until about 2005. They had Taito Hat-Trick Hero and Sunset Riders in the front bar, and in the back bar they had some ridiculously difficult golf game (the name escapes me now, something along the line of Turf Masters?) and a really bad 4x4 racing game, which again was pretty tricky to finish, eventually managed to complete all of them with the exception of said golf game. Fantastic times though. My local newsagents also had a Street Fighter 2 cab outside the store one summer, but it got vandalised after a few weeks and was replaced by those old bubble gum machines :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...