IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

Not all quests have a marker, I have one active right now that has no marker..

I wonder if clairvoyance will work for these types of quests?

I've not come across any like that yet, apart from the ones you where you have to collect 10 bear pelts, 20 nirnroot or similar. Which is fair enough for those sort of quests which are kind of like the challenges from RDR.

Eithr way lockpicking is bloody slow to level even with me cracking every chest and door I see.

That's strange, I find it the quickest skill to level - more or less every expert or master lock I pick gives me a level, so it goes up really quickly (under the sign of the thief which helps I guess).

This game is legendary!

Just had a nice long walk from Winterhold all the way down the east of the map.

The scenery in just stunning, and finding some fort somewhere, having a bit of a fight then more exploring is just the best thing ever!

Could be my favourite game of all time. :)

I've not come across any like that yet, apart from the ones you where you have to collect 10 bear pelts, 20 nirnroot or similar. Which is fair enough for those sort of quests which are kind of like the challenges from RDR.

I have for Whiterun which involves finding a missing woman, she's not got a mapmarker. (Though thinking on it, the marker may be present when you're outside the town)

Ooooh another question - can I turn iron ore into ingots? If so, how?

One thing I forgot to ask - How do you know how tough an enemy is before fighting them? Usually you get some kinda onscreen marker that basically gives you your rough chances, none of that here?

Shoot them from distance and see how much health it takes off. If it kills them they're easy, if it hardly marks them, run!

Within the space of 30 minutes I've just gotten drunk, woken up on the other side of the world, descrated a sacred temple, witnessed a murder, killed a murderer, stumbled into a house of horrors, promptly pooed myself and then became a daedra's bum-monkey (and in the game etc.).

That was an epic half hour. The previous half hour I spent picking flowers.

Excellent stuff. I wasn't terribly worried once I level up a little bit. It was more those first few levels when you don't have any perks. I was thinking more the first dungeon. But to be honest at that point nobody has any skills at all and you level so fast in the early stages I could even do it with a different skill if I was struggling and save the perks for later. Anyway. TONIGHT THEY FEAST ON MY ARROWS. Kill one quick and then turn him into a zombie to distract the rest :)

Hmm. What to choose. First five perks I think will be (In this order)

Stealth (Is there skill requirements for raising this further?

Overdraw

Novice Conjuration (Or perhaps restoration. Not decided yet. I'll see how it plays out)

Light armour (I plan to pay attention to this tree when I can)

Pickpocket

After that some more stealth/pickpocket (If they're not skill rank locked) until I can level the other skills more. Smithing as I level it naturally. Not going to speed level that until much later. Enchanting I'll start as soon as I get a soul tap weapon I can disenchant.

AGHHHHH. I'M STUCK AT WORK.

You're overthinking it. Play the character and as you're playing you'll work out what perks you want.

I've gone sneak/archer/lockpick/light armour/pickpocket and while I was playing I let the first few perks just build up before I decided which of the perks would be more suitable for my playstlye. I find I focus a lot on sneak and rely on the archery 3x damage upgrade so my playstyle revolves a lot about staying in the shadows, getting stealth kills and backing off when there's a chance I could be discovered.

Just play around, discover what you enjoy doing and it'll all come to you.

Within the space of 30 minutes I've just gotten drunk, woken up on the other side of the world, descrated a sacred temple, witnessed a murder, killed a murderer and then stumbled into a house of horrors and promptly pooed myself (and in the game etc.).

You have found Markarth havent you? :)

Anyone know how to use the thieves guild to wipe bounties yet?

Is there any way of checking your disease status in this? I seemed to contract something and people are telling me I look sick, but I have no idea what the affliction is.

Press B, then left to select your magic menu, then scroll down to active effects to see all of them - including diseases. Each effect is clearly marked with which item/spell.curse/disease is causing it.

One thing I forgot to ask - How do you know how tough an enemy is before fighting them? Usually you get some kinda onscreen marker that basically gives you your rough chances, none of that here?

No such things in Skyrim. It's another omission in the game (like the spell duration indicators). It could save you the trouble of travelling for 20 minutes for a quest you can't complete, but then again it's not a big deal since exploration is amazing.

If you get one hit killed or you barely do any damage, just run...

No such things in Skyrim. It's another omission in the game (like the spell duration indicators).

I agree with the spell duration indicators, but I love that it doesn't tell you how tough an enemy is, forcing you to discover such things yourself. Makes for more rewarding and exciting exploration imo. Then again, I've also turned the entire compass off and set all quests to inactive, so maybe that's just me :lol:

Within the space of 30 minutes I've just gotten drunk, woken up on the other side of the world, descrated a sacred temple, witnessed a murder, killed a murderer, stumbled into a house of horrors, promptly pooed myself and then became a daedra's bum-monkey (and in the game etc.).

That whole quest line and the quests around that area are absolutely amazing :)

It's amazing how you get sidetracked in this. Last night I set off for Riften. 4 or 5 hours of gameplay (not all in one sitting) I still hadn't arrived because I kept wandering off the path into tiny little hamlets with side quests, murdering and robbing foreign travellers, stealing their clothes and leaving them in their pants on the grassy verge, being ambushed by bandits or meandering into zones full of high level enemies and sabre cats and being killed.

I agree with the spell duration indicators, but I love that it doesn't tell you how tough an enemy is, forcing you to discover such things yourself. Makes for more rewarding and exciting exploration imo. Then again, I've also turned the entire compass off and set all quests to inactive, so maybe that's just me :lol:

Oh, I agree about exploration, I said it in my post. :)

As for the compass, I only have active one quest at a time, which I choose depending on what seems fun to do. If I stumble at something else on the way, it's all good. :D

No such things in Skyrim. It's another omission in the game (like the spell duration indicators). It could save you the trouble of travelling for 20 minutes for a quest you can't complete, but then again it's not a big deal since exploration is amazing.

If you get one hit killed or you barely do any damage, just run...

I don't think it's an oversight, seems like a good decision to me and makes the game that much more exciting.

Oh, I agree about exploration, I said it in my post. :)

As for the compass, I only have active one quest active at the time, which I choose depending on what seems fun to do. If I stumble at something else on the way, it's all good. :D

This is why I never fast travel as I always discover something unexpected along the way. :o

The Companions' quests - the first one I was given (still doing it) was to go to the wonderfully atmospheric Shimmermist Cave. I'm sure others in the thread have mentioned a bear quest and one other as being their first quests. How come there's a difference? Or is it just that I'm not speaking to the right Companions once I've "joined" them?

Edit: I got all the way to the end of that cave, but the "Cave Leader" there, and his bodyguard (not to give anything away) absolutely shredded me.

There seem to be certain points in the wilderness that are defined locations for a random event. Outside Shimmermist cave, just a way to the left of the entrance I met a bard who was killing some bandits. When I came out of the cave, there was a different random NPC even in exactly the same spot. Those NPCs killed me, and, when I reloaded and went back there...a third NPC random event was occuring.

The Companions' quests - the first one I was given (still doing it) was to go to the wonderfully atmospheric Shimmermist Cave. I'm sure others in the thread have mentioned a bear quest and one other as being their first quests. How come there's a difference? Or is it just that I'm not speaking to the right Companions once I've "joined" them?

A selection of quests are randomised by the radiant system. The companions quests between the main ones are examples.

I spent most of yesterday's session helping out various God's and stuff.

Got a sweet sword (Dawnbreaker, that causes explosions when Skeletons die), a Mace and a dagger that has a chance to 1 hit kill. (Mythic Dawn quest) for my troubles.

I also have houses in Whiterun, Riften and Solitude. Riften house is like my secret cave. I have both my thieves and dark brotherhood outfits proudly displayed on mannequins. :)

Still trying to track down the Fortify Blacksmith enchant.

About the Companions, my second quest is

to become a werewolf

. The thing is I don't want to.

Is it neccesary to accept in order to continue their proper quest line or receive quests from the other members?

Yup. There's only one drawback to it though and you'll probably never notice it. Plus the end of the Companion's quest line teaches you how to deal with the thing you're worried about anyway.

There are several companions and they all have their own quests to give I would assume.

I did quests for Aela the Huntress for example.

Oh yeah, but every single other companion says "I hear you're doing a job for Thingy already", but that quest was literally the only one on offer from the get-go. I see Flub's explanation. I like that, as long as I can get all the quests eventually I'm happy. Was just wondering if I'd somehow missed any.

In other news: I turned actor draw distance up to maximum last night (most other settings are on the low end of high). It really added to the sense of the world being alive, just being able to see people and animals from a lot further away. Doesn't seem to have hit my game's performance very hard at all either.

There are several companions and they all have their own quests to give I would assume.

I did quests for Aela the Huntress for example.

I'm still getting to grips with the whole concept of Radiant Quests - judging by the guide it appears I skipped the first wave quests of killing some random animal entirely, and have done two out of three possible types second wave quests (the two I did last night). Maybe this is a function of level. These quests could have sent me to any dungeon not yet visited and it was bad luck that I seemed to draw a tricky one as the second (which ironically I could have avoided if I had cleared this out earlier in the session since I was in the vicinity anyway doing the thieve's guild quest). Everbody's experience will be different. Now I can progress with the main part of the guild questline.

About the Companions, my second quest is

to become a werewolf

. The thing is I don't want to.

Is it neccesary to accept in order to continue their proper quest line or receive quests from the other members?

As far as I can see, it is compulsory yes but maybe you should refuse and see what happens? It certainly has disadvantages, particularly the loss of fully rested perk and possible blood sucking action.