IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

One thing that really bothers me about playing Khajiit is that any kind of helmet seems to chop off the ears, so I prefer Headbands. A higher level Light Armor perk requires me to wear a full matched set of Light Armor though, so I may have sacrifice style for praticality yet again.

Its also a little odd when some conversations don't take into account my race choice. The Girl who wants to be a merchant talks to me about what she thinks of the Khajiit & the Alchemy lady in Winterun said I "looked pale" (my Khajiit has black & white fur) though that last could be viewed as a pun.

Are there any quests that are affected by my race choice, as in either being locked off from or only available too?

Yeah this bugs me too. I like my Kajiit ears!

In my pre work sesh this morning, a random kajiit thief started on me. What does Lydia say? "YOUR KIND AREN'T WELCOME HERE".

Er, nice one.

I've never played an elder scrolls game before, so I am a bit baffled by all the abilities. At the moment I've cleared out the first dungeon, mostly using a sword and shield. It's good, but I might give being a sneaky assassin/archer type a try too to see if I prefer something a bit more subtle than walking into a room and smashing people in the face with a shield.

One thing that'll definitely factor into that though is shield size. At the moment I've got a fairly average looking round shield. Do massive tower style shields exist?

One thing that feels quite different this time around is that I don't feel restricted in terms of my approach, or what skills I use. I've been mixing it up with Swords, Bows, and Magic, as the game hasn't put any restrictions on my doing so. Maybe that's because I happened to choose an all-rounder race, I'm not sure. But it feels like no skill is closed off, and the game is much more varied as a result.

I don't believe there is any variation in quest based on race.

It is disappointing there is no reaction to Kajiitness when the conversation is specifically referencing them or is with them (found a caravan near Riften). Even the insults are relatively lame.

Strange - there's been a number of places where the fact I'm a dark elf (dweomer?) has been referenced in conversation; even in relatively ad-hoc conversations.

Nice moment last night that shows the detail they went into making this game.

Got a quest that wanted me to go talk to a prisoner down in the dungeons, went down there but before I talked to him I used my pickpocket skills on the guards and stole all their keys. Hilarity ensued when I payed off the prisoners bounty and the guards when over to unlock his cell only to find they had no keys, I stood there while they had a little argument and the guard sulked off saying he has lost his keys and it might take a while to find them.

Hah, sweet :)

Nothing in five years etc. ;)

I just can't bring myself to take Lydia questing with me....I think because there's something I like about coming home after a hard day's maiming, going to my bedroom, and being greeted by a woman dressed in black leather asking me if there's anything I'd like her to do.

One thing that feels quite different this time around is that I don't feel restricted in terms of my approach, or what skills I use. I've been mixing it up with Swords, Bows, and Magic, as the game hasn't put any restrictions on my doing so. Maybe that's because I happened to choose an all-rounder race, I'm not sure. But it feels like no skill is closed off, and the game is much more varied as a result.

What's a good all rounder..? Breton..? I'm about to kick this off and my mind is boggling at the choices already- in Oblivion I usually mixed up magic and swordplay quite a bit, and was pretty sneaky with it at times...

I just can't bring myself to take Lydia questing with me....I think because there's something I like about coming home after a hard day's maiming, going to my bedroom, and being greeted by a woman dressed in black leather asking me if there's anything I'd like her to do.

What level of armour rating did you have to go up to until she actually equipped the armour you gave her? She looks like she's wearing steel armour, but I gave her something slightly better than that and she didn't equip it.

I have a feeling the Winterun alchemist is a glitch - she always says she thinks I am ill but owing to my previous exploits that can no longer be the case.

I'm pretty sure that in her case it's part of her patter to get you to buy her potions :)

I think the only benefits to race are the racial ability and a bit of a headstart with certain areas. The devs specifically said ultimately you should just choose whichever one takes your fancy.

What's a good all rounder..? Breton..? I'm about to kick this off and my mind is boggling at the choices already- in Oblivion I usually mixed up magic and swordplay quite a bit, and was pretty sneaky with it at times...

I found this image: http://i.imgur.com/bbaYJ.png that gives an indication of how the starting skill bonuses are distributed. Assuming it is correct (and I did a brief check) it seems to suggest that no race has bonuses in skills from all 3 types. Dunmer and Imperial seem the most balanced with 1 favouring stealth and the other combat.

I've heard tell of a 25'000 manor in Solitude...

Not only is the manor 25k, each room costs on average 2k!

A pretty penny I spent on that place, but I prefer my Riften home as it seems more cosy.

I figure my Solitde home will be my respectable front where I place my best finds, while my Riften home shall be my my main base.

God this is just such a timesink. Went wandering around the area near the Mage College, found a lighthouse thinking it would be a fairly quick in-and-out location, an hour later I come stumbling back out. And it was only a miscellaneous quest. Crazy.

Nice moment last night that shows the detail they went into making this game.

Got a quest that wanted me to go talk to a prisoner down in the dungeons, went down there but before I talked to him I used my pickpocket skills on the guards and stole all their keys. Hilarity ensued when I payed off the prisoners bounty and the guards when over to unlock his cell only to find they had no keys, I stood there while they had a little argument and the guard sulked off saying he has lost his keys and it might take a while to find them.

I had the same, I assumed one of the guards would have the actual key on him so you wouldn't have to pay the money to release the prisoner.

I wish there was some way of differentiating between friend and foe from a distance. There are several "real characters" wandering around the wilderness (including town guards on courier missions occasionally), so you can't really just take out everyone on sight!

It said on one of the loading screens, if you use Detect Life, friends and enemies show up as different colours. Haven't tried it yet.

This is why I always make a non quick/auto save before entering a new dungeon. You never know if it's going to be too difficult and if there is going to be an option to retreat until it's too late.

Yeah, I do that too. As it turns out, I did find a way out in the end. Through a big hole in the cave wall that I'd somehow completely missed!

It said on one of the loading screens, if you use Detect Life, friends and enemies show up as different colours. Haven't tried it yet.

Detect Life is quite short-range though, isn't it? I can't be sure, as I used it once in a dungeon and then decided fireballs were a better way of determining friend from foe.

Oh, and as for missing those standing stones, the bloody NPC when you come out of Helgen does go "we should split up", then he runs off. The first time, I didn't follow him either, cos I thought he'd basically told me not to :) (but I found the stones anyway).

When I emerged from Helgen that NPC looked like he was buggering off without me. So I wandered around for a bit and found the stones. Then on my way to Riverwood I caught up with that NPC again and he started describing stuff to me. I had that awkward feeling that happens in real life when you bump into a friend who you only want to chat to for a few seconds, but you're both walking in the same direction and he's walking slower than you, and you think, "How the hell do I break away and walk ahead of him without seeming rude??"

Then I remembered that this man was going to happily see me beheaded before a dragon attacked his town, so fuck him.

Has anyone succesfully used bound weapons to any degree?

I'm trying to work out the possible advantages of them against your standard tangible weapons. It seems especially difficult considering that they only hang around for 2 minutes at a time. The spell has always seemed a bit limited and useless in elder scrolls games.

At the same time, I love the idea of summoning an ethereal bow.

Okay I'm trying to get my head around this...

I buy two iron ignots for 34 coins each (or whatever) = 64 coins in total

I turn them into some armour (which is apparently 125 value)

I attempt to sell the armour for twice the profit I paid for the source materials...

shop offers me 32 coins...

Am I missing something really obvious or is the inherent value actually in mining and smelting ore and then flogging that?

(not trying to cheat the system, it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me that's all)