IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

I ventured into the southeast part of the map for the first time, to get that tree sap. I reached a place where a random dragon encounter happened. Tense! But then as soon as I'd killed that dragon, another one came from exactly the same direction, with the same dragon head icon on the compass. After I'd killed that one the icon on the compass was still there. I didn't stick around, but would an endless number of dragons come from there?

The icon -

is for a dragon shrine, which normally has a shout, and yep, you guessed it a dragon to fight

Also: I must find out what dragon bones and dragon scales are supposed to be used for. They're so heavy. I saved up and bought my first house just so I'd have a locker to put them in.

Hint:

check the smithy perk tree

So yeah, was sneaking around in my newly-acquired sneaky gear today when I climbed a tower and came across this.

dragon.jpg

Perfect opportunity to test something out as it was asleep. I had my Daedric dagger at Legendary (26 damage), the perk to make sneak attacks with the dagger 15x more powerful and additionally some hand bindings that doubled that to x30. Rough estimate is that a good power hit will hit for a whopping 780 damage.

The result?

One-hit kill on a frost dragon.

I sat and watched my flatmate playing this in his room for a bit and was amazed at how differently we are playing the game. He's very much into magic and conjuring, and alchemy too. He did this trick where he got lots of iron ore, turned it into iron ingots and then via some clever spell-casting and such turned that to silver, and then that silver into gold. He was carefully breaking things down and making potions.

Meanwhile, I just run around like a ninja stealth-killing everyone and just selling any of the tat I acquire along the way.

Only thing I think is daft (not bad, just silly really) so far is the way of levelling the armor and restoration skills. Having to stand there and get beaten on to level is a bit silly, but the alternative for casters who want to wear no armor and trying to level healing is drowning yourself and then healing. Thank god the both level at the same time if you do the former.

Has anyone gotten to the stage where they're so powerful that every bandit who jumps them has ubar powerful magic armor and weapons (that, if they bothered to sell, they'd never have to rob someone again)? Or does that not happen in this game? Oblivion was daft like that, I think I found a glass sword in some crypt in that and it all went downhill from there :lol:

Soul trap is needed to suck souls into soul gems, and you need a soul gem to enchant a weapon too. I think the larger/better the soul gem the more powerful the enchantment - at the moment I've not had anything other than common soul gems.

Go to the Shrine of Azura and you'll get a quest that rewards you with a reusable soul gem. Best of all, you'll get a choice... Azura's Star lets you trap any size soul except human souls or The Black Star which lets you trap human souls (which are always grand souls).

Yeah, if anything, I feel I've been attacked less out in the field than when I played Oblivion. They seem to have got the balance between fighting and exploring about right. No more running across the world with a conga line of bears, wolves and whatever else chasing you.

Anyone remember the cliff racers from Morrowind? And swinging away without hitting them due to the dice rolly nature of the combat? :omg:

I reckon only 3% of people who bought Morrowind ever got anywhere due to cliff racers.

And why don't we have a dedicated Skyrim screenshots thread yet? :wub:

Around 45 hours :( The joys of time off. And Skyrim. Since I maxed enchanting, smithing and crated myself a full set of legendary dragon armour (with ~80% mana reduction for destruction spells) it's become incredibly easy. Part of me is enjoying raping everything in sight (dragons get stunned by my dual casting, and sometimes die before they can even do anything - I had one run away from me once :(), but I really should increase the difficulty.

Are you playing it on the PC? F12 takes screenshots on Steam, but it's not worth uploading them to Steam as it's quite fiddly to view them.

The main storyline hasn't wowed me so far (I'm not that far in, still involved with the early stuff the bearded folk want me to do), which is basically my only complaint (and voice acting). Stupidly good game so far though, especially since I found out you can actually use numbers as hotkeys. Only took me 35 hours of played time to find that out. :facepalm:

Are you supposed to get blue markers on the map for miscellaneous quests? I had the one where you were supposed to steal some ale and missed it inside the tavern, and looking online people are saying a blue marker appears where it is. Didn't happen for me though (and yeah I made the quest active)

It is the same with some other quests where there is a lack of info and I've forgotten details of what it is I'm doing and wander around for ages until I bump into the right person.

I'm sure Oblivion popped a green marker over where or who you were supposed to visit. Thanks.

Yeah, if anything, I feel I've been attacked less out in the field than when I played Oblivion. They seem to have got the balance between fighting and exploring about right. No more running across the world with a conga line of bears, wolves and whatever else chasing you.

There also seems to be a lot of creatures where you have to deliberately get really close before they attack; I've been close enough to giants for them to see me in sneak mode without them attacking, and found sea lion like creatures up on the north coast where you have to get right in their face before they become nasty.

So what times are people upto? I'm about 20 deep.

I'm at about 16-17, I need to reign in my wandering though (didn't call my character wanderer for nothing!) as I've just got too many active quests now, and it's spazzing out my ocd :) I'm finding it hard to stay focussed!

My alchemy and smithng skills are coming along nicely now though, and I've recently started dabbling in enchanting.

As for screenshots, fraps is a good tool, or you can just use prntscrn in game, the shots get saved as bmps in the Skyrim install folder.

Oh and one other thing, people keep mentioning dragon icons on the compass? I may be mistaken, but aren't those just the imperial campsites? I've found a few of those and they all have the Skyrim dragon logo thing as their icon.

Are you supposed to get blue markers on the map for miscellaneous quests? I had the one where you were supposed to steal some ale and missed it inside the tavern, and looking online people are saying a blue marker appears where it is. Didn't happen for me though (and yeah I made the quest active)

It is the same with some other quests where there is a lack of info and I've forgotten details of what it is I'm doing and wander around for ages until I bump into the right person.

I'm sure Oblivion popped a green marker over where or who you were supposed to visit. Thanks.

You have to make both the sidequest and the 'miscellaneous' heading active for the markers to be displayed. Took me ages to work that out!

There also seems to be a lot of creatures where you have to deliberately get really close before they attack; I've been close enough to giants for them to see me in sneak mode without them attacking, and found sea lion like creatures up on the north coast where you have to get right in their face before they become nasty.

I remember tip toeing around them sea lions as I was not sure whether they would attack but my companion Lydia decided to attack them and three of them ganged up on her so I had to save her by slaying them with my bow. I really did not want to kill them :(

I stumbled upon some awesome cave last knight, Lost Dagger or something like that. Everyone in it fried really easily apart from the bandit thug... Thought it was pretty funny that I could just spam him with arrows from behind a cage door and he only thought to run away and shout for mercy when he was right down to his last health. Needless to say, mercy was not forthcoming.

The loot wasnt too epic though, which was a shame, but the cave itself was lovely. So much better than Oblivion in that respect.

Oh and one other thing, people keep mentioning dragon icons on the compass? I may be mistaken, but aren't those just the imperial campsites? I've found a few of those and they all have the Skyrim dragon logo thing as their icon.

From my wandering I thought they were Dragon burial grounds...each time I've stumbled upon the, they've been really cool resting spots, and no end of fun battling ensues!

There are two types of "dragon icon" location:

One is the Skyrim logo of the Imperial dragon, which denotes a Legion camp. The other is just a dragon's head which is essentially:

a dragon hangout. There will always be a dragon at the dragon head locations (until you kill it, that is), usually guarding a word of power.

You'll get a map that marks the location of (main quest spoiler?):

dragon burial mounds as part of the main quest and they don't seem to be indicated on the regular map/compass.

Has anyone gotten to the stage where they're so powerful that every bandit who jumps them has ubar powerful magic armor and weapons (that, if they bothered to sell, they'd never have to rob someone again)? Or does that not happen in this game? Oblivion was daft like that, I think I found a glass sword in some crypt in that and it all went downhill from there :lol:

I'm level 29 now and the majority of bandits are still wearing fur and studded leather armour. The bandit bosses/chiefs sometimes have something decent (steel plate armour and random enchanted weapons are the best I've found on a bandit so far), but generally they seem to be somewhat behind the curve to say the least.

Weird, they must have slightly different icons.

Not that I'm going to see them anymore, I've turned.off the compass :) it makes you pay a lot more attention to the layout of places.

Edit : lol! Curse my delayed posting

I remember tip toeing around them sea lions as I was not sure whether they would attack but my companion Lydia decided to attack them and three of them ganged up on her so I had to save her by slaying them with my bow. I really did not want to kill them :(

I don't like killing innocent creatures in this. Feel guilty if I take out anything that just gambols around minding its own business, which conflicts somewhat with my merciless slaughtering of anyone who gives me a bit of lip!

Enjoying this a lot more now that I'm less of a pussy :D

Only level 10 but my archery and one-handed skills are both pretty good now. I found that I tried too many side missions too early that I was clearly not good enough for. Followed the main quests for a while that were all pretty easy, killed my second dragon and now I'm gonna try the side missions again.

I had a right trek last night. I'd stumbled across this ruined tower, Alftand something or other and it had loads of heavy components to be smelted. I loaded up Lydia and myself and went back to town and turned it all into equipment and sold it. I went back after clearing my inventory as much as I could as I'd seen some glacial ruins up there too. I was soon at capacity again but kept thinking the exit would be close and so ended up with Lydia fully laden and myself at 500/360.

It was very slow progress. Worth it though as it made my smithing go up about 15 levels (now 70) once I sorted out the gear. Well worth a poke around up there, I won't spoil it mind.

I've been playing this like it's the latest Cabela hunting game. Spent hours last night just creeping through woods and snowy plains, huge chunks of time going past with nothing happening, then the excitement of seeing a rabbit and unloading an arrow into it's hind. Poor thing. (Or, more commonly, just managing to wing it and resorting to charging forward, screaming and shooting flames out my hand).

And even though very little happened over a few hours, it was incredibly enjoyable- just seeing the world, the night sky, the brief moments of the hunt where something cool would happen- like taking out a deer as it tries to escape over the river. Plus you meet some very weird people in the woods at night. :ph34r:

I came across the first sidequest I felt seriously underpowered for yesterday. The one where you have to rescue the Battle-born from the imperials. I travelled the entire way from Whiterun to the very top left corner of the map but couldn't seem to make a dent in the guards. They were all wearing some gold armour I haven't seen anyone wear before and even my beloved fire companion struggled to make an impact. I tried it a few times and then gave up.

I absolutely love the landscape around the Eastmarch hold. And some of the caves around there are so epic. Some of them feel more like levels from the original Tomb Raider, rather than the cut and paste Oblivion affairs.

Plus I've STILL only been to Whiterun and Riften, and a couple of small places. I feel I should clear a good amount of the dungeons before moving on! I'm really looking forward to the Northen chunk of the map, though.

Enjoying this a lot more now that I'm less of a pussy :D

Only level 10 but my archery and one-handed skills are both pretty good now. I found that I tried too many side missions too early that I was clearly not good enough for. Followed the main quests for a while that were all pretty easy, killed my second dragon and now I'm gonna try the side missions again.

yeap - I'm going to batter on with the main quest for a bit.

I love how Elder Scrolls games have this great evil or whatever that's going to bring ruin to all and you must stop it - but part of the way through the quest you can bow out entirely and literally spend months fannying about and learning how to become a thief.

I came across the first sidequest I felt seriously underpowered for yesterday. The one where you have to rescue the Battle-born from the imperials. I travelled the entire way from Whiterun to the very top left corner of the map but couldn't seem to make a dent in the guards. They were all wearing some gold armour I haven't seen anyone wear before and even my beloved fire companion struggled to make an impact. I tried it a few times and then gave up.

It's Elven Armor. I got really lucky when I did this quest as I had a dragon chasing me and it fried most of them or at least did enough damage that I only had to take a sliver of health off. It was also a lot easier once I got inside their fort, the guards outside were harder for some reason.