Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

So what's the New Vegas leveling system? Is new vegas made by Bethesda (oblivion/fallout) team? Would they be likely to port good ideas from New Vegas?

No reason, but i just wanted to post a random image, i could play through it all again :wub:

Enough gushing, promise.

obx27B.jpg

So what's the New Vegas leveling system? Is new vegas made by Bethesda (oblivion/fallout) team? Would they be likely to port good ideas from New Vegas?

It's made by Obsidian, not Bethesda, though using the same engine as Fallout 3 and playing more or less the same barring a few tweaks and additions.

Enemies don't dynamically level with you at all, but instead are of fixed strength from the beginning. This means that some areas are certain death to a level 1 character, forcing you to take the long way around initially, but come back when you're level 20 and you'll have a chance. To give an abstract example.

I just hope they won't water the next instalment down as they did Morrowing>Oblivion. Not that they messed it up completely though, the game was gorgeous and the Dark Brotherhood questline was just indescribably touching and briliant! Mages and fighters guild lines both seemed a little bit of a disappointment in comparison, and the lack of a joinable Imperial Legion irked me somewhat. I was utterly in love with Morrowind, and quite liked Oblivion (though the fact it required dozens of plugins to shine and even come close to living up to the franchise reputation was a shame), and will deffinately be getting excited about this one also.

But for the love of gods past, present and future.. please make them have more than just the same old 3 voice actors do the hundreds of npc's... :facepalm:

Oblivion is one of my favourites ever, but things i would love them to add and change would be

• I agree with Rudi, non-scaling enemies, both sides of that coin.. the feeling of progress, and massively dangerous areas when you're weak, giving you a real feeling of fear/achievement
  • This wont happen, but i'd love to be able to have you own house/castle properly. bit of interior design, even collecting things, being able to expand and build your own house (Minecraft style!) Actually, the Minecraft collection of raw materials for house/weapon/armour/accessories building would be amazing.
  • Not an online multiplayer, but maybe something where you could see others wandering around, like Test Drive Unlimited. I don't know if this would knacker the game. Maybe online only in an Arena?
  • Instead of fast travel, possibly gaining flying dragon? Or you have to learn a spell to do it? Is this stupid? It would be more fun than just randomly zooming around. (i always felt i was cheating and missing stuff)
  • I would like it if you looked down, you could see your body, just just empty ground.
  • Shapeshifting spell so you can turn into animals for a time (depending on the spell power) run faster as a wolf, fly as a bird, fight like a bear. Manimal!

Lots more, but i'm just hoping Oblivion but more and deeper.

I'm liking these ideas. I know it would probably not happen but I'd like some optional hybrid Kinect/joypad funtioncality. Still would prefer to it to be mainly played on pad but voice funtionality for conversations, the abilty to pickup/drop/manipulate objects with your hands rather than fiddly button presses and moving back and fowards and headtracking could come in somewhere.

I just hope they won't water the next instalment down as they did Morrowing>Oblivion...

I don't think TESV will be watered down even further, but I suspect it may stay at Oblivions level of watereddownness to please the masses... Without map-markers constantly pointing you in the right direction and fast-travel, I'm pretty sure that quite a significant percentage of the people who bought Oblivion would be instantly lost.

I'm just hoping for some more Morrowindish obscurity. Some of the more out-of-the-way quests could just come with sparse directions instead of precise map-markers.

Sure, Boethias shrine wasn't exactly easy to find in Oblivion, but just having to ask the right person to get a map-marker is still quite a lot easier than having to act on a rumor and go swimming of the cost looking for a lost shrine...;)

And hopefully there'll be some alternatives to fast-travel and mounts. Guild-guides, silt-striders (or whatever large crazy animals may reside in the location of TESV), boats, whatever.

Oh, and levitation...:) - not only because it's awesome, but also because it'll force the level designers to be a bit more creative.

Amen to that. Man, the amount of time I remember spending just completely and utterly lost in Morrowind, trying to find some isolated npc or whatever.. and then stumbling over hidden dungeons, glorious vistas or entire wee cities! Sure, the convenience of oblivionesque fast travel can be a blessing, but really does ruin that whole feeling of wandering round a huge stunning world.

Levitation was sweet though, as was jump, now those were ways to travel in style!

What is the take on the all voice acting by the way? Did the rest of you prefer the variety of inane text npc chatter or the three voices with a thousand faces of Obli? Am somewhat hoping they would go half-half on the new one. Maybe voice act the main questline and still have npc's chattering with eachother, but limit non-essential npc's to text alone. :sherlock:

I don't think TESV will be watered down even further, but I suspect it may stay at Oblivions level of watereddownness to please the masses... Without map-markers constantly pointing you in the right direction and fast-travel, I'm pretty sure that quite a significant percentage of the people who bought Oblivion would be instantly lost.

I'm just hoping for some more Morrowindish obscurity. Some of the more out-of-the-way quests could just come with sparse directions instead of precise map-markers.

Sure, Boethias shrine wasn't exactly easy to find in Oblivion, but just having to ask the right person to get a map-marker is still quite a lot easier than having to act on a rumor and go swimming of the cost looking for a lost shrine...;)

And hopefully there'll be some alternatives to fast-travel and mounts. Guild-guides, silt-striders (or whatever large crazy animals may reside in the location of TESV), boats, whatever.

Oh, and levitation...:) - not only because it's awesome, but also because it'll force the level designers to be a bit more creative.

You've nailed it! One of the first missions in Morrowind was to find Balmora based on nothing more than someone's spoken directions. Fast travel and waypoints weren't necessary as you could simply use the map or take the silt strider if you were too much of a pussy.

Amen to that. Man, the amount of time I remember spending just completely and utterly lost in Morrowind, trying to find some isolated npc or whatever.. and then stumbling over hidden dungeons, glorious vistas or entire wee cities! Sure, the convenience of oblivionesque fast travel can be a blessing, but really does ruin that whole feeling of wandering round a huge stunning world.

Levitation was sweet though, as was jump, now those were ways to travel in style!

What is the take on the all voice acting by the way? Did the rest of you prefer the variety of inane text npc chatter or the three voices with a thousand faces of Obli? Am somewhat hoping they would go half-half on the new one. Maybe voice act the main questline and still have npc's chattering with eachother, but limit non-essential npc's to text alone. :sherlock:

I'll do some voice acting for them for free if it'll mean more diverse voices in my bethesda game.

Also, your avatar is horrifying.

They really have to dig their games out of the mire they are buried in. They need to concentrate on creating the illusion of a living world - the horrible static nature of the quest / npc system they have at the moment ruins any sense of immersion I have.

Oblivion and fallout are both amazing when you are exploring or running a dungeon. As soon as you have to interact with NPC`s it just turns into this horrible puppet show with 2 dimensional characters with no personality, no life, no variation. The plots are paper thin and the interaction fatuous. You can't kill some characters and they all just wait around for you, they would wait a year and still say the same leaden dialogue.

There is so much to love in all their games but its ruined constantly by the shit NPCs.

• 3 weeks later...

ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM

ITS OFFICIAL BITCHES

I FUCKING CALLED IT!!!!!!

I just realised that Todd Howard says in that article in the first post that it will be revealed 'soon'. And the only event that is 'soon' is next month's VGAs, and coincidentally VG24/7 is reporting that 10 more premieres (apart from the Bioware and Saints Row 3 stuff) are still to be revealed.

Could it be?

OMGOMGOMG Elder Scrolls V at the VGAs next month - the rumour starts here!!!111!!111one :omg:

:D

• Robo_1 changed the title to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim