IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

12 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

That's what it sounds like except with paid for mods as curated by Bethesda.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-19-skyrims-getting-a-new-anniversary-edition-in-november-on-xbox-playstation-and-pc

I have no idea what they can do to the visuals to make an S/X and PS5 upgrade worth the money.

Why, has there been a good looking version? Admittedly, I haven’t played it since it first came out on 360, but it looked quite rough even then.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why, has there been a good looking version? Admittedly, I haven’t played it since it first came out on 360, but it looked quite rough even then.

That depends what makes it rough. It you mean resolution then I think 4k is a given. Anything else I struggle to see Bethesda putting in the effort. It's an old game so unless they've done some serious overhauling of the models and textures I'm not sure if a res upgrade is enough. It also depends if any of those curated mods are visual mods. The greatest trick the devil Bethesda ever pulled was getting the people who buy their games to fix them for them.

I am so gutted the next Elder Scrolls is years away (at least 6 I'd wager) I started playing this again last night (and it is the same comforting, relaxing plod I always find it). Fantasy RPG's aren't exactly an underserved genre but it feels like a long time since we've had a large scale single player one, I am surprised no-one's just whole scale ripped off the Bethesda template and attempted to profit from the absence of Elder scrolls games inbetween releases (looks like Obsidian might have taken that path a little after Outer Worlds had Bethesda vibes and Avowed is also a first person RPG on the way now).

They may launch in a fairly laughable state and be full of wonky idiosyncrasies but there is just something so perfect about the straightforward combat systems and relaxed open exploration I just love. I am keeping a keen eye on the Skyblivion project which should hit the twin desires I have of being an Elder Scrolls game and allowing me to experience Oblivion in a more modern skin that's at least up to the level of the Skyrim engine, but that is probably some way off itself.

I have a question, and please forgive me if it's already been answered.

I have the PS4 remastered copy which I played for 5 minutes and then shelved after I discovered that the mods available on Xbox were inexplicably unavailable on PS4. Are the good mods available on PS now? I'm talking about, like, the crafting mod for instance which gives you access to a much wider variety of weapon and armor skins for each material. For instance instead of there being 1 glass armor skin there's 10. I think it was called ARS Metallica or something.

All there seemed to be on PS was lampposts

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/skyrim/mod-detail/3919839

Looks like Ars Metallica is available, but it is a limited choice. 

The problem I had with the PS4 mods was the browser you're forced to use if you want to install any. Searching for stuff that was there (according to everyone on the Internet) just didn't work. The choice seemed to be random, and not worth bothering with. 

On 24/08/2021 at 11:32, Ran said:

I am so gutted the next Elder Scrolls is years away (at least 6 I'd wager) I started playing this again last night (and it is the same comforting, relaxing plod I always find it). Fantasy RPG's aren't exactly an underserved genre but it feels like a long time since we've had a large scale single player one, I am surprised no-one's just whole scale ripped off the Bethesda template and attempted to profit from the absence of Elder scrolls games inbetween releases (looks like Obsidian might have taken that path a little after Outer Worlds had Bethesda vibes and Avowed is also a first person RPG on the way now).

They may launch in a fairly laughable state and be full of wonky idiosyncrasies but there is just something so perfect about the straightforward combat systems and relaxed open exploration I just love. I am keeping a keen eye on the Skyblivion project which should hit the twin desires I have of being an Elder Scrolls game and allowing me to experience Oblivion in a more modern skin that's at least up to the level of the Skyrim engine, but that is probably some way off itself.

Thank you for articulating perfectly my own endless fascination with these games. There's something intangible about them that nothing else matches, for me.

For me, the ease of the crafting is a huge part of Skyrim's appeal.  The crafting is dead easy because there are forges and enchanting tables all over the place, there's no tedious reactions minigame to do it, the ingredients aren't that hard to find, apart from perhaps daedra hearts, and mostly sold in every town and village anyway.  It also makes you shitloads of money.  Perfect for players like me who just want to get on with the rest of the game.  Also, there's no maintenance for armour and very little for weapons (recharging) which can be done anywhere.

On 27/08/2021 at 12:25, Welrain said:

If they spruce is up,I’ll be buying again. Despite playing multiple 100s of hours across various consoles I’ve only ever finished it once.  

If you got money for multiple consoles, why don’t you get the pc version instead. It’s far superior in every way.

Any PC users who fancy modding but don't know how or just cant be bothered.

Download wabbajack  https://www.wabbajack.org/#/

It's an amazing tool that will download and install complete modlists for games, obviously you are limited to the mod lists created by someone else but there are a few different ones available for Skyrim SE. It works best with a nexus mods premium account other wise you have to authorise each download but if you have one you can quite literally leave it to run over night and come back to a game with 300+ mods installed.

Another brilliant thing is because it uses mod organiser which doesn't actually install anything into your Skyrim folder it is easy to switch to another modlist, you can even have multiple modlists downloaded and installed if you want to.

Someone said that one of the packs on Wabbajack includes that new multi-directional mod, that makes the game play more like a Souls one with the movement, lock-on and camera, but I can't find the thing. I am very, very new to all this though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, memories said:

How is the VR in this on the PS4

I've an itch to pick this up to play through again but do it in VR. I don't have the Move controllers but don't mind using the pad.

It's fun in vr, but you are seriously missing out by not having the moves, moves make the bow shooting awesome. It's just not the same with a pad.

Thinking about it I might have a single one tucked away some place, a mate have me the PS3 Move starter pack years ago that was a single move and a camera.

Would that one work? My local cex also has a V1 move in for £25 that I could grab to make a pair.

• 2 weeks later...