Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

The community content farm is quite nice.

But it needs a Steward...and just down the road is Rorikstrahd where you can recruit Erik who dreams of leaving farm life behind for a life of adventure.

Oh well at least he's running the farm he's working on now :D

• 2 months later...

I’ve started playing this again on the Series X after putting about 200 hours into it on the 360. My word, with 60fps and a couple of mods it still looks wonderful. No one has come even close to this in terms of atmosphere in the last 10 years.

I did the warrior and thieves questlines previously, so this time I’m having a crack at the magic users questline, then maybe the dark brotherhood if I’ve still got an appetite for more.

On 28/11/2021 at 21:29, Broker said:

How do I make the Anniversary edition appear on PS5? I have the special edition already so I bought the anniversary edition upgrade from the PlayStation store for £15. However the only version in my library still says special edition. When I go to install it I get the choice between PS4 and PS5 versions but having installed the PS5 version it still just says special edition. How do I turn that into the anniversary edition?

Is the upgrade really worth it? It seems not the be the anniversary edition on game pass, so I was thinking about it.

Been thoroughly enjoying this. Always started it and then left it for some reason or another. . I modded it heavily and it really feels like a modern game with some wonderful lighting. 

it’s just so immersive and such a wonderful world to explore. 

im further than I’ve ever been and seen places I had never ventured before. 

What a game. 

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

Is the upgrade really worth it? It seems not the be the anniversary edition on game pass, so I was thinking about it.

I would say it depends on a few things.

Firstly, whether you’d want to play a survival mode where you need to eat, sleep and think about temperature. That’s by far the most transformative addition, and could transform the way the game plays and feels. 

Outside of that, I’d say it’s only really worth it if you’ve played a lot of Skyrim. As someone who has played 1000 hours plus but can’t be bothered with curating and installing mods, it’s great. New stuff in Skyrim, whether it be armour, houses, quests or enemies, feels great if you’ve played a lot since release. There haven’t been any additions since Dragonborn if you’re not into mods, and the new stuff is fun. 

If you don’t fall into either of those camps though I’d say it’s probably not worth the £15.

4 hours ago, memories said:

This morning I broke 100 hours of this in VR on the PS4. Put about 150 in way back on 360.

It really is something else isn't it.

I was going to reply saying there's nothing quite like it, but we all know that's not true. What is true is that this game just has that something extra special, we can't put our finger on exactly what it is, but Skyrim has it

I'm just 3 trophies off platinuming this. All I have left is to get married, have a bounty of 1000 in each hold and hit level 50.

First two are on the cards when I next play it and then I'm starting either Dawnguard or the Dragonborn dlc which should tick off the level 50 one.

This will be my 2nd ever platinum, the first was for The Walking Dead where they pretty much gave it away just by playing through the game.

On 13/02/2022 at 16:42, memories said:

This morning I broke 100 hours of this in VR on the PS4. Put about 150 in way back on 360.

It really is something else isn't it.

So good - It's the only reason I've held on to my PSVR as I'm not sure it will get any sort of fresh coat of paint on PSVR2 for various technical and Xboxy reasons.

Christ no. Open them when searching for stat boosts and that's about it.

I remember when I first played Oblivion and that was my first entry into these types of games and back then I did start to read them but soon realised I would never finish the game if I carried on.

I'm sure a lot of effort and storytelling has gone into them but I had to draw the line somewhere.

• 3 months later...

Simulated ray traced interiors:

Screen-Shot43.png

Screen-Shot44.png

Screen-Shot48.png

Screen-Shot49.png

Also, massively enhanced volumetric lighting and shadows - with timing synced to the sun and both moons. The shadows go on forever, with mountains and landscape shedding all over the shop. It's great to see after so many years, finally. 

Screen-Shot34.png

Screen-Shot9.png

Screen-Shot17.png

Screen-Shot19.png

That mist is volumetric as well, and actually rolls down slowly from the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2021 at 23:36, Broker said:

Oh shit the Switch version is on sale. Guess I’m paying for Skyrim twice today :lol:

I crumbled and it's been my post Elden Ring binge game.

I played this on the 360 and my goodness it's even better than I remember.  I'm playing as a sneaky beaky archer with very little magic.

Seeing things I've not seen before and currently distracted by building my own home.

Love it.

• 3 weeks later...

It's genuinely been since 2014 that I've least seen anything freaky in the game, thanks to playing with bug fixes and unofficial patches and the like. So you can imagine the shock I got as I was exiting Bleak Falls Barrow (for the 1,200th time) the other night when I hear something chittering in the shadows right in the way of the cave exit... Then I see something, then, it comes bursting out at me:

I've not had a video game scare this bad in a long time, if not ever. It would actually deal chip damage and vibrate the controller if you made contact with it. I shat myself so hard I ended up with intense pins and needles in my arms.

• 2 months later...

Same for me. I started another game after I finished Elden Ring and have been playing with survival mode enabled. So no fast travel, you have to eat and sleep regularly, and the cold will kill you if you're out in it too long. Also the amount you can carry is hugely reduced.

It makes it a very different game where you have to think carefully about where the nearest bed or fire is, and you have to plot a route to your destination based on the nearest inn or town. It also means you don't pick up every single bit of loot for selling later, but prioritise low weight high value stuff like jewels and jewellery. Even though everything takes much longer I've managed to complete the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild and Mage's college questlines, as well as a significant chunk of the main quest and assorted side quests. There's nothing quite like this game.

Found myself in a bit of a gaming slump, so decided to revisit Skyrim this time round on the Xbox Series X.  I completed the main game back on the 360.

Couple of questions:

1) Is the anniversary addon something I should be buying?

2) The number of modes is bewildering, are there any really good ones I should get?

Have just set foot into the open world of Skyrim after passing the dragon intro, already it feels like coming home :)

35 minutes ago, marcus said:

Found myself in a bit of a gaming slump, so decided to revisit Skyrim this time round on the Xbox Series X.  I completed the main game back on the 360.

Couple of questions:

1) Is the anniversary addon something I should be buying?

2) The number of modes is bewildering, are there any really good ones I should get?

Have just set foot into the open world of Skyrim after passing the dragon intro, already it feels like coming home :)

The Unofficial Patch is the only one that I would consider essential.

I did pick this up and I am currently playing though the main quest line.  It does feel like coming home and finding the new stuff is also pleasing. I’m wandering around with Lydia in support and I’m a a mage with a penchant for heavy armour and axe based combat.