IGNORED

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ravnaz

Nope because it doesn't have classes anymore. At all. You pick your race and looks and then it levels based on how you play and which perks you pick, a bit like Fallout 3. The perks sit in three trees (thief, warrior, mage) but you're free to do whatever you like.

Nope because it doesn't have classes anymore. At all. You pick your race and looks and then it levels based on how you play and which perks you pick, a bit like Fallout 3. The perks sit in three trees (thief, warrior, mage) but you're free to do whatever you like.

It would be a nice touch if they assigned you a class in the menus based on the way you were playing the game, that could change as your stats did.

Well I for one am going to be rocking this on PC with a 360 pad. Hadn't upgraded my PC since I first built it two years ago, so I've stuck in a new GTX 560 Ti, overclocked my existing i5 (installed a new cooler) and, erm, unintentionally upgraded my memory from 4GB to 6GB (entirely unnecessary, but like I say, it was unintentional - long/boring story). Nothing mindblowing, then, but I still expect my setup to eat Skyrim alive. Thursday night unlock on Steam, right? So soon.

Well I for one am going to be rocking this on PC with a 360 pad. Hadn't upgraded my PC since I first built it two years ago, so I've stuck in a new GTX 560 Ti, overclocked my existing i5 (installed a new cooler) and, erm, unintentionally upgraded my memory from 4GB to 6GB (entirely unnecessary, but like I say, it was unintentional - long/boring story). Nothing mindblowing, then, but I still expect my setup to eat Skyrim alive. Thursday night unlock on Steam, right? So soon.

That's what I'm doing as well, those specs should eat Skyrim alive too. Had to change my drivers back to older ones though, these newer Nvidia drivers are for fuck all (still waiting for them to fix the TDR problem)

Options...

1) PC version on my Dell 23" 1080p monitor but 2.0 stereo sound

2) PC version in the lounge on my 37" Samsung 1080p TV + sofa + 5.1 surround

3) 360 version in the lounge, but with achievements and no messing around with settings, variables and configs

I'll be rocking the 360 pad regardless, as I much prefer analogue movement in RPGs.

Not sure what to do. I'm half tempted to get the 360 version as otherwise I'll spend half my time faffing with drivers, settings etc and not playing the game properly - and I am a sucker for achievements. And I'm not sure if I want to move the PC into the lounge.

I'm so indecisive.

I hope you actually can murder everyone again. Didn't they take that option out of Oblivion? In Morrowind you could kill an important quest giver or main story-related NPC and a message would pop up saying something like 'congrats, you've doomed the world, but you're free to keep playing' while I recall in Oblivion they would only get knocked out. While I have no interest at all in murdering everyone, it felt like one of the many ways in which Bethesda was restricting the freedom that made the Elder Scrolls game so great.

You could still kill most of them in Oblivion though. After I'd completed the game (as in earned every single Xbox achievement) I began systematically wiping out the entire population (although got bored a couple of towns in). There didn't seem to be that many people with invincibility crowns, so I assume a lot lost them after you'd completed their part of the main quest. The task was at its most fun early on, when I was still riding high on the glory of saving the world; attack a bloke at random and nine out of ten townsfolk would join in on my side.

A particularly memorable moment was when I was attacking the captain of the guard and two of his soldiers entered the room. They quickly assessed the situation, seized the opportunity to bash their boss's brains in, and then took me aside for a quiet word along the lines of "Don't worry, my report will say that I didn't see a thing. But be more careful next time". :D

Fuuuck man. I just gave myself the biggest scare. Realising I'd yet to play a Bethesda game on my macbook, I loaded up Fallout 3 to see how it ran, and almost cried a little tear when I saw it select 'low' from the config page. I loaded up tentatively, to find it chugging like a proper mess in the opening sections. And this was with the latest AMD driver installed!

I then removed all traces of the drivers and went back to the boot camp default driver, loaded it up again and it was running just perfectly, after autodetecting 'high'. Phew!

"Ultimately, Skyrim is a lot like Fallout New Vegas - there are some flaws but they pale into insignificance compared to the sheer scope of the game. Despite the many, many hours we put in, it felt like we barely scratched the surface at times, and our quest log was always full. It's a beautiful sprawling world that's incredibly fun to be in, and the gameplay lets you make the most out of it.

It's a fantastic game in its own right, but also manages to be a very worthy addition to the Elders Scroll family. A must play."

:omg: :OMG: