Ridge Racer 8

robdood

Well, I don't know why but reading the Bizarre closing thread made me think of Ridge, and specifically how it's my favourite Game Where You Drive Cars. I hammered the living shit out of RR6 after picking it up for peanuts a year or so ago, brilliant game.

Loved the world map hexagon thing, and how you could pick how many races to do in one session. Loved the unlocks (heihachi announcer = win). Loved the music. Loved the speed and the delicious boost mechanic.

So yeah maybe this is more of a Ridge 6 appreciation thread... But where the hell is 8? Is it ever gong to happen? :(

It needs a massive update. NFS HP utterly canes it. Its sliding mechanics are too rigid as well.

I'd tire of a new one pretty quickly methinks.

Hmmm I've really never paid any mind to the NFS games.. Should I? Will the newest one provide me with a slice of Ridge Racer feeling?

And what do you mean about the sliding mechanic being to rigid? It was/is sublime! :P

They're really nothing alike.

Accept the sliding mechanic, which i think is better on HP and so loses out in its core gameplay. And the enviroments are more exciting too so it loses out there.

I really think RR is past its sell by date and over time we've seen games equal or better it.

Don't get me wrong, i thought it was great once but i feel its time to move on.

Outrun C2C has also equalled and bettered it too IMO.

I don't think it does anything we've not already seen. I dare say we'll see another but of all the well known arcade racers it jizzes me least.

Truth be told I just prefer the added weight inertia many games have over arcade lightness - see also Tekken against something like Fight Night.

They lack realism and punch so lack intensity and thats what RR was orginally about, hence the inclusion of the turbo.

At one time they had that intensity as we'd seen nothing else, but these days.....

RR6 was the toughest game I ever played to get achievements out of. I got so bloody close to completing the world map and then stopped playing it! I must go back and claim those achievement points one day!

But yeah, a new RR would be most welcome. I might pick up RR7 on the PS3 to tide me over.

Ha I did a similar thing, never quite managed to finish the world map, then when I wen to try I'd somehow lost my save game, mustve been when I upgraded my hard drive :( starting from the start is tough.. All the cars are so. Fucking. Slow.

Also, don't bother with 7, it's essentially just a slightly uglier version of RR6

And thats another point...its just the same thing over and over.

With the likes of the big 6 teams doing their own thing now and breaking into both new and (revamping) old games...and so give you something to feast upon.

Fair enough, if thats what you want but it does nothing for me. I honestly think the series is outdated.

I'd be mildly interested if they did something really evolutionary but they tried that too and it wasn't too great.

Hmmm I've really never paid any mind to the NFS games.. Should I? Will the newest one provide me with a slice of Ridge Racer feeling?

And what do you mean about the sliding mechanic being to rigid? It was/is sublime! :P

I've never really bothered with NFS games - but NFS Hot Pursuit is fantastic. Get it. In some ways there's some Ridge Racer in there - but it is much more like Burnout 2/NFS1/ChaseHQ than Ridge. The pumping music, speed and light as feather drift mechanic are only found in Ridge.

I would certainly love a Ridge Racer 8 - come on Namco - it's not like you're having much success with any of your other games.

I hate the way the Ridge games have become reliant on nitro boosts.

Well I can't speak for the later games, but I thought it was handled excellent in 6 - drifts give you boost, drifting at the very end of the boost gives you more boost, so timing your boost use and doing superfast slides round even the tiniest of bends was so so ace. Getting in the zone in RR6 was awesome :wub:

Well I can't speak for the later games, but I thought it was handled excellent in 6 - drifts give you boost, drifting at the very end of the boost gives you more boost, so timing your boost use and doing superfast slides round even the tiniest of bends was so so ace. Getting onthe zone in RR6 was awesome :wub:

Yep. I thought I'd hate the boost system but it added a nice tactical element to the races.

RR 6 & 7 really are the same game, with slightly more content on the PS3 version.

The PS3 controller totally sucks for that game. Playing RR6 with a properly heavy/stiff analog stick was a revelation.

I finished 93.7% of RR6 before some bastard nicked my 360 :angry:

I still think it's one of the best games on the console.

The only thing I'd change with a new Ridge Racer is the collision effects. The way you sort of bounce off of walls/cars while still pointing in the same direction is totally naff and needs updating. (Not that I hit walls often, honest.)

Keep the rest the same, just give us brand new tracks to speed around. I even like the nitro.

Man I remember playing RR6 on my 92" projector setup and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever experienced... God I love that game. More Ridge please...

*edit: I also experienced the game save loss, it was on the HDD but for some reason wouldn't load up. I was a fair whack through that map too. :hmm:

The series lost its way after Ridge Racer Revolution. The single player modes have become progressively more bloated and messy, handling has lost all its temperamental charm in favour of being pussyfied, and the scale and imagination of the visuals aren't anywhere near as impressive as seen previously in the series. About the only area of the series where rot hasn't set in is the music (thanks to Sanodg).

Things got particularly bad with Type 4. What was there - 300 or so cars to unlock? - But the fact some of them were abstracted into rewards for finishing 2nd and 3rd in races is completely barmy, especially when beating the game is so easy. Even back in 1999, when such a bounty of extras was actually considered desirable, hobbling myself towards such an end seemed mental.

Ridge Racer 6 was even worse. Speed is everything in an arcade racer, so the idea of constantly shifting between speed classes like it was a game of Gran Turismo became very tiresome indeed. Beyond making progress through the needlessly protracted World Xplorer and unlocking slight variations on pre-existing cars, there really wasn't much incentive for indulging this setup.

Haven't played 7, but by all accounts it isn't much better. Namco desperately need to take Ridge Racer back to the drawing board.