Ridge Racer 8

robdood

Another split franchise.

The irony of all these ex racing teams being swallowed up or subbed out and big racing titles being split is not lost on me.

You know...the devs that did the great racing games that never sold so good now programming the big franchises which are being split.

I suppose us racing fans should be thankful they're doing other racing titles...even if they're not original but its kinda sad to see.

Hang about, this gets a great review in Edge who claim it's one of the best arcade racers ever made, but the forum view is it aint all that?

So should I buy this or just get Hot Pursuit again for £6?

Get Hot Pursuit again.

YES! Driver is absolutely magnificent, and everyone should own a copy. Lovely clean visuals, 60fps, absolute fuck-loads to do, a damn fun handling model... it barely gets a damn thing wrong. One of my favourite games of last year, without a doubt.

Fuck Unbounded; it's like some awful person went "hey guys make another Flatout but make it a lot worse than Ultimate Carnage thanks".

Really enjoying this. It's bloody tough and having a drift button seems stupid, but the races are amazingly close each time, while the level editor is superb. A solid 7/10 for me even if it does has little to do with ridge racer.

Still playing this regularly. It's a great game to both settle down to and perfect. I think one of the main reasons I've stuck with it, is that it really does feel completely fair. It's hard, but if you chain those boosts right, you can end up miles out in front, and all but invulnerable to any sort of rubber banding. Wins feel like wins, and loses feel genuine. I don't think I've ever felt cheated out of a victory, and ultimately, i think that's what keeps me playing.

Frankly, the destruction aspect is really under stated. I'm simultaneously going through Split Second on the PSP, and obvious graphical downgrade aside, it's far more ambitious with it's destruction than Unbounded, but that's not to say it doesn't serve it's purpose.

I haven't even looked at the track creation, but I can never get a race online. The lobbies (at least on PS3) are flat dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Started playing this at the weekend, and I'm really struggling to get into it. I just can't get my head round the drift button. I'm also not entirely sure why I'm smashing through buildings - I assume they are short cuts, but weirdly, they don't always feel like it! Finding it really tricky to tell which bits of track dressing I'm able to smash through and which bits I should be avoiding, it looks a little rough and the soundtrack is absolutely terrible.

I know, I know, custom soundtracks yadda yadda yadda, but I consider the music to be a real key part of Ridge and this is just monumentally disappointing in this aspect. I'm actually finding it a bit embarrassing to play!