Ridge Racer 8

robdood

I don't have a PS3, and I'm never likely to own one, sadly.

Although the thought of trying to play playing Ridge with a Dual Shock 2 gives me a conniption.

The thought of a Ridge Racer not being on a Playstation gives me one of whatever you said too, they're cosy bedchums. Hope Namco have made up with Sony after their brief flings.

I don't have a PS3, and I'm never likely to own one, sadly.

Although the thought of trying to play playing Ridge with a Dual Shock 2 gives me a conniption.

thats a shame, your missing out on some cracking titles - RR7 included.

Is it an anti sony thing, or lack of funds?

Square and X - you don't need analogue for Ridge Racer :D

yes you do! Well in my time with Ridge 6 I found the analogue accel/brake useful for making tiny drifts and maintaining speed, cos if you're not boosting, sliding loses you a shit ton of speed.

But the idea in RR6 was to keep your boost on constantly. It was more Nights than RR. Stuff like the Docks track, you'd have to slide sideways up the brigde jump while boosting, so you could fill your boost meter instantly for the next corner, then boost over the finish.

Crazy amazing game, and in my top 5 racing games ever.

• TDU - 360
  • Waverace - N64
  • Mariokart - SNES
  • RR6 - 360
  • Rallisport Challenge 2 - Xbox

thats a shame, your missing out on some cracking titles - RR7 included.

Is it an anti sony thing, or lack of funds?

Lack of time. I don't have time to play the few 360 games I have, and that won't change for a few years!

God, I was reading this thread at work yesterday and I spent all afternoon today playing RR7 after a 2 year break. Took a while but I was soon powersliding round corners millimetres from the barrier. It's bloody amazing.

I have to say it is starting to show its age slightly, looks-wise ... a spruce-up would be very welcome indeed.

• 2 months later...

Eurogamer:

Namco has announced a brand new multiplatform Ridge Racer game, due out next year for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Little is known about Ridge Racer Unbounded. A teaser trailer, which does not contain gameplay footage, is available to view below.

It's in development at Bugbear Entertainment, the Finnish developer behind the FlatOut series and 2007 PSP game SEGA Rally.

The trailer shows a car driving through steamy urban streets at night. A woman leaves, walks through steam, and enters another car. She then drives straight into a taxi, knocking it flying, before tearing off. We're getting a Need for Speed vibe, with some open world destruction thrown in for good measure.

"We are all aware of what its concept is," was all Ridge Racer 3D game director Masamichi Yamazaki would offer Eurogamer when quizzed in San Francisco this week. "But we're not the spokesperson for that title. All the Ridge Racers have their own concepts and target audiences. That is a very different Ridge Racer from this [Ridge Racer 3DS] one.

"This one is a more rightful successor of the series."

Ridge Racer 7 was a PlayStation 3 exclusive that launched alongside the console in 2006, although it didn't hit Europe until 2007.

Sound like Needs of Speed Underground + Burnout Paradise + Ridge Racer = Ridge Racer Unbounded

Not sure what it will be like. But I got a bad feeling about this game.

Pretty much my thoughts. It could be an entertaining game in its own right, but the teaser's content isn't exactly what comes to mind when you think of Ridge...

As much as i liked RR6 i still prefer Ridge Racer as it should be, best versions are still the Original arcade and 2.

I bought a PSX to play RR and at the time i was utterly in love with being able to play it at home having put so much money into the arcade - RR is the only PSX game i still own!

Like legendary i have a bad feeling about this new one, stop fucking with the arcade game Namco!

I think its more the direction it's being taken in that some of us are taking issue with.

The gritty look, open world structure, crashing into shit. While I'd love to be proven wrong, Outrun 2 and Sega Rally have proven that classic arcade-style racing games just don't get the sales they used to, so I'm not massively surprised Namco have gone down this route; but I definitely threw up a little bit in my mouth after watching that teaser.

Another Japanese publisher getting afraid of their own output? Damn, even the logo seems a direct rip from NFS Underground, never mind the Burnout influences.

Good developer or not, good game or not, this is about the equivalent of Hollywood bending a title to fit their own opinion of successful (which usually then manages to completely alienate their fan-base). It's Namco's 'DmC' at the moment.

Maybe they'll make Reiko an actual man this time around? :P