Binary Domain

The Sarge

I'm happy to accept that people mightn't enjoy the game as much as I did, and mileage may vary on how 'rough' it is, but this...

the terrible animations really let down the feeling of impact and weight.

...could not be further from my experience with the game. It's one of the game's best features - the enemies are so reactive and the guns so noisy that it makes the combat way more fun than almost any other third-person shooter I've played.

I didn't like the demo at all and didn't buy the game, making it the first Nagoshi game since the original Ryu Ga Gotoku that I didn't buy I think, but the reactions of the robots are nice, that's certainly not a place I'd fault it. The human team members aren't always well animated though.

It's one of the game's best features - the enemies are so reactive and the guns so noisy that it makes the combat way more fun than almost any other third-person shooter I've played.

Absolutely, Rudder. See, in Gears the enemies don't react a great deal to individual bullet shots. The lancer looks almost like you're turning a hose of pain on them and watering them to death via a steady stream of life depleting ouchness.

In Binary Domain, robot hordes get absolutely shredded with their arms, legs, head and bits of body armour sparking off and bouncing across the floor.

I know which I find more satisfying on a visual level, whether it's as technically impressive overall or not.

Absolutely, Rudder. See, in Gears the enemies don't react a great deal to individual bullet shots. The lancer looks almost like you're turning a hose of pain on them and watering them to death via a steady stream of life depleting ouchness.

In Binary Domain, robot hordes get absolutely shredded with their arms, legs, head and bits of body armour sparking off and bouncing across the floor.

I know which I find more satisfying on a visual level, whether it's as technically impressive overall or not.

I think it's relatively low budget compared to something like GOW means it does come off as feeling rough but actually it is only the environments and graphics in general that come as a little bland and lifeless compared to the beautiful vistas of GOW. Some of them anyway, parts of it felt pretty impressive, early Tokyo levels for instance, with only the latter interior levels looking more than a little PS2.

For me, it just comes down to ‘fun’. The story, the voice-acting and combat in general just had me grinning the whole way through and they were all pretty polished I felt. Stereotypical uptight English bloke was a bit shit but I think it was all played a bit for laughs really.

I went into this not expecting much but damn, this is a fun game. Spent a good half hour or more pounding the shit out of a gigantic spider bot, taking it down piece by piece. Still I don't think this would have been a title I would have paid full price for and I doubt many others would have either. It had no chance really of succeeding in the current market.

What makes this game for me - aside from the seriously meaty guns - it's not taking itself seriously. It's just a big ballsy shooting gallery. There were earlier comparisons to Gears of War - remember how seriously that took itself at times, with all that pish about Maria. I didn't want to play GOW3 after about the 2nd chapter, it bored me. Whereas this is a straightforward romp.

I also think the animation on the cutscenes is particularly good - puts stuff like ME3 right in the shade.

Also, more games should have a comedy French robot. Zut alors!

I like these end periods in console generations, where enough experience with hardware quirks means that mid to low end games can still look nice. If BD had come out a few years ago, it would probably have looked like turds. As it stands now, it's always completely competent with a steady frame rate, and sometimes impressive. The game engine is advances enough for the art design and character animation to shine through.

From scratch. No Mercy's fucking hard as well - getting dropped by the standard green troops. Think careful application of Nanomachines for this one.

The only really difficult section i had on Survivor was the Tsar Runner, took ages.

For other bosses as long as you have the shock burst on hand it acts as an EMP , ensuring you can just run up and smash those metal motherfuckers like Kyle Reese.

I know that realistically this game is nothing like the gameplay of Vanquish but it does remind me of it in the way that even after finishing it weeks ago, I still myself thinking back to it and going "I wouldn't mind replaying that right now."

I know they wanted you to focus on your main rifle, but I would've liked it if upgrading your team's weapons affected the secondary weapons you pick up in the world. At least it would've been an inventive to invest the points in them.

On 'no mercy' difficulty the on-rail sections are hard as nails, I just had to time carefully when to take cover and reload otherwise they gun you down in seconds,

But the game is fun even on level select with no upgrades. The bosses are really good fun.

BTW I also went back to Vanquish but I found that i forgot how to play it properly, forgot the timing and placements of enemies.

I know they wanted you to focus on your main rifle, but I would've liked it if upgrading your team's weapons affected the secondary weapons you pick up in the world. At least it would've been an inventive to invest the points in them.

I agree. I'd have liked the opportunity to pick up an even more powerful SMG. Loved that gun.

The SMG was excellent. Such a great noise.

It's kind of odd that they don't let you do that, but most of your pals have the same weapon which you *can* upgrade. I've never checked, but could there maybe be synergy between their upgraded weapons and your own? Doubt it or someone would likely have noticed by now.

In disappointing news, I went and did everything necessary for the Skill Master achievement and it never popped. Loaded up chapters to check and yes, everyone had all their nanomachines. Ack.

One thing about No Mercy mode - it's almost impossible to

take down the Cerberus before it makes off with Bo. I've tried a heck of a lot of times, but it takes an insane amount of firepower and you can't just rocket the bastard as it'll kill Bo outright.

Other than that, this is how it's played. So God damn good.

Have you tried the Spas12 type shotgun on the Cerberus? That deals insane damage for a secondary weapon. You can take down the Shinobi units in 2 rounds on Survivor. I took down the 'Alarm Boss' in just over a minute with it.

I just wrote a big post about how the spread might be too big, even though the gun rocks... only to remember after posting it that you don't have a choice of subweapon for that moment. Rachael's RPG overtakes whatever weapon you previously had equipped. Whoops.

Still got the best ending, which was nice. A few late game rampages got me about a quarter of the way into 'Very High' trust for everyone.