IGNORED

Binary Domain

The Sarge

That was SWEET!

Every time Big Bo said this I'd just burst into laughter without exception. Just seeing it is enough to set me off now.

God, I loved the hell out of this game. Such an abundance of heart and character remedied pretty much all of the flaws. One criticism I'm less willing to forgive is the inconsistency in boss fights; most of them are absolutely tremendous (the Spider matches anything in Vanquish, which I still maintain is the greatest third person shooter made) but a few are far too quick to enter melee range and leave you utterly helpless.

Fuck it though, hell of a game and one that took me completely by surprise, particularly as a massive Yakuza fan that dismissed this long ago. Big Bo forever.

Every time Big Bo said this I'd just burst into laughter without exception. Just seeing it is enough to set me off now.

It's possibly one of my favourite gaming soundbites ever.

Also the fact that Rachel sounds like Dennis the Menace from the 1990's TV show meant the bastard jetski bit took about 5 times as long because I couldn't stop laughing at her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPSJ9zO0FU

I've enjoyed almost every minute of this even if I'm not entirely sure why. It's too generic to be truly great, has more than a few half-arsed, slightly broken features, doesn't look all that special outisde of a few boss fights, is outclassed shooting-wise by Vanquish and the plot is (admittedly quite engaging) bobbins, but I've been compelled to play through the entire game in a few of sittings. It's somehow a ridiculous amount of fun and that's all that matters, really.

Cain is the best character, by the way. He needs his own game.

Its not generic, its quite possibly the best terminator game ever made, its only slightly broken feature is language recognition that includes 9 different languages (all at the same time, try speaking Spanish and Japanese!) and its quite a bold feature at that, it looks great on my TV, and the plot/characters are quite engaging indeed...more than any other game in recent memory (go there, shoot people, switch to jungle/snow level, shoot more people). Thats without even considering the actual shooting part of the game! this and Vanquish show that you can have good games without necessarity going the sprawling epic route.

Its not generic

Your character is more nimble than most but It's still a by-the-numbers cover shooter, really. I loved it but there's not much getting away from that..

That said, I appreciate them trying something a bit different with the squad orders (even if they never seemed to have that much effect), the trust system was kinda neat and I enjoyed the change of pace in those sections where you'd walk around and chit-chat with the locals.

It's still a by-the-numbers cover shooter, really.

I cannot help but disagree. If nothing else, the fact that you are ranked and rewarded for quick and stylish combat is better than 99% of the generic cover shooters out there.

Did anyone else change the Scout control method and never look back? You just can't beat having reload on X.

It's pretty rare that I try out alternate control methods unless something feels genuinely messed up. Standard GoW style is fine enough for me, as that's my closest reference point.

And the Vanquish thing - very different games, but whereas Vanquish feels like a battlefield in practice, this feels more intimate. I've never seen a game nail the feeling of bullets tearing enemies apart as well as they've managed in this game and the overall story / setpieces amp up each scenario beyond just the gameplay itself. You're doing this for your pals, and because Cain might have sex with you afterwards if you play your cards right.

No, not Faye. Cain.

Also, the reward system is excellent. Being able to buy nice things and upgrade your gun is a great touch, given that it really makes a significant difference to your ability to unleash robo-death upon your foes. And since you need money, you'll be going for headshots and multi kills as well as blowing everyone apart as quickly as possible so that your crew will tell you how amazing you are.

TLDR: Binary Domain is fantastic and I'm so glad I listened to people on here as opposed to the mainstream press. There's an intense disconnect between the average score for this game and the enthusiastic joy that this game's fans constantly preach and it confuses me greatly. The fans are right - Binary Domain is more than worth your time. It's exceptional.

It's criminal something like that Ghost Recon shit will sell so much more than this. I played that Beta and my god what a boring, soulless experience it was. Binary Domain has the characters, the awesome weapons and enviroment variety that most games can only dream off. The trust system seems a bit tacked on at first, but after I got my head around it , it soon compelled me finishing the game on every difficulty to get the best ending possible. The only thing that would make the combat any better would be the obligatory slow-mo and watching the glorious shower of sparks, ejecting brass and flying scrap metal everywhere in even more wonderful detail. In fact it's probably better it isn't there as it might make the rest of my gaming collection redundant.

Also I fucking love the choreography in some of the fight scenes near the end, especially the nod to Equilibrium. I sat there like a grinning loon the whole time.

I didn't really the demo and I loved Vanquish to bits but couldn't along with it at all. Tell me its better than the demo.

I'm not too far in, only played a couple of hours, but it seems more or less like the demo so far to me. The stuff that annoyed me still annoys me, things like the whole screen being filled up every time you change weapons, and the movement controls being slightly off. But the shooting is still fun.

My wife after watching me play for a few minutes asked me if I was playing the "new Commander Shepard" :)

I'm not too far in, only played a couple of hours, but it seems more or less like the demo so far to me. The stuff that annoyed me still annoys me, things like the whole screen being filled up every time you change weapons, and the movement controls being slightly off. But the shooting is still fun.

My wife after watching me play for a few minutes asked me if I was playing the "new Commander Shepard" :)

haha my mate said the guy looks like Shepard alot.

Anyway its OK, 2nd level in and its nothing like the awesome Vanquish. I hope it gets better, its not that its fun but its just samey and I really don't care for the voice commands at all.

My take is that it's a straight-to-DVD version of Vanquish. Dumb, disposable fun, but certainly enjoyable enough and better than many of its peers. Just not a game I'll ever go back to or remember much about.

haha my mate said the guy looks like Shepard alot.

Anyway its OK, 2nd level in and its nothing like the awesome Vanquish. I hope it gets better, its not that its fun but its just samey and I really don't care for the voice commands at all.

:) I spend some time practising the voice commands in the menus, but finally gave up after failing to say "fire!" correctly to Bo for first time he asks you to do so. I started to feel quite silly saying "fire" in as many ways as I could think of.

My take is that it's a straight-to-DVD version of Vanquish. Dumb, disposable fun, but certainly enjoyable enough and better than many of its peers. Just not a game I'll ever go back to or remember much about.

I agree, I'm still playing the early levels so I hope it gets better but I be impressed me if surprises me later on. However, I do prefer this over Gears which isn't saying much.

wrongkd1w.gif

I would genuinely consider it one of the finest third person shooters I've ever played and I say that with no hyperbole. I do love Vanquish too though so I wouldn't say anything bad about it but Binary Domain is in no way a 'lesser' game compared to it, well for me anyway.

I agree, I'm still playing the early levels so I hope it gets better but I be impressed me if surprises me later on. However, I do prefer this over Gears which isn't saying much.

If that sentence means what I think it means :blink: You will be impressed, it really is the game that keeps on giving. You'll be on your feet by the post credits sequence.

The stuff that annoyed me still annoys me, things like the whole screen being filled up every time you change weapons, and the movement controls being slightly off. But the shooting is still fun.

Obviously the movement controls are subjective (i.e. you're wrong ;) ), but I can't work out what you mean by "the whole screen being filled up every time you change weapons". It's possible I'm just being wildly inobservant, but could you clarify what you mean?

PS - I like BD far more than I do Vanquish, but that's mainly because Vanquish makes me feel like I'm absolutely useless, whereas BD massages my ego as I headshot robots in sequence.

This is the kind of stuff I just cant wrap my head around, and make me really wonder about others' subjective experience. I know I did the same with Bulletstorm, I just played the demo and it felt "disposable fun, forgettable". others on this forum swear BS to be one of the finest experiences, and I am not convinced.

But seriously, how can BD be not memorable? didnt you hear the french robot speaking? or Big Bo asking if you wanted some action with a pros?

Seriuosly, this game has so much quirky dialogue and epic lines that makes me wonder if people played with the sound off...or maybe just bored of gaming in general...

It's all about the headshots, baby! Also, your team are useful - if they're providing covering fire you can dash out and bust skulls; alternatively, having them charge can bring enemies out for you to snipe from cover. Synergy is important.