Binary Domain

The Sarge

A big thanks to SPE for sending me his PS3 copy. I've spent a bit of today trying out the multiplayer, and it's not particularly fun if you're not playing with a like-minded group. Deathmatch is little more than a parade of people running around as a Striker one-shotting with a shotgun, in fact I ended up with a group of them ganging up on me because I dared to play as a Scout and fucked all of their shit up. :facepalm:

Invasion is alright, but again requires a solid group to work, otherwise it's the bad kind of chaotic.

Yeah, I did find the SP to be a bit easy. At least that means I get another runthrough. :D

Unfortunately the story doesn't reach the standard set by the Yakuza games. It's pretty obvious why, given it's linear nature and length that's approximate to about a quarter of a Yakuza title, but it's still a shame as there are some great characters in this that don't quite get the chance to shine. It's still goddamn great, even though it's implementation is fairly straightforward I found the trust system to be a real motivator to play well; getting praised by my teammates made me feel like a real badass. Better yet is the gradual deteriation of robots under fire, thought it was a really unique way of doing away with health bars.

I actually rather enjoyed the multiplayer in Binary Domain. Invasion isn't too hot on account of the robots not being as destructible as their campaign counterparts, but the competitive stuff is never anything less than enjoyable. The trick is to make sure you've got your various classes decked out with the appropriate nano-tech before you start matchmaking, otherwise your ability to take damage or even shoot straight is greatly inhibited.

Nevertheless, I had way more fun with this in multiplayer than I've ever had with Gears. I would caution, though, that finding a game on 360 at launch was tricky, so god knows how difficult it will be now.

but the competitive stuff is never anything less than enjoyable.

Really? Every game I joined turn into a spawn-trapped nightmare for one side, usually within about two minutes of the round beginning.

Man, another little gem I have to thank RLLMUK for bringing to my attention. Just finished it - loved it

Solid game, with a decent script, too. Loved the Japanese cop. Such a mashup of pop culture influences, too. And I liked the way it telegraphed that there was going to be a twist, but it wasn't quite the one you thought it was going to be.

I usually hate boss fights, but these were nice and involving on Normal.

Nice postscript, too. Hell, yeah.

Man, another little gem I have to thank RLLMUK for bringing to my attention. Just finished it - loved it

Solid game, with a decent script, too. Loved the Japanese cop. Such a mashup of pop culture influences, too. And I liked the way it telegraphed that there was going to be a twist, but it wasn't quite the one you thought it was going to be.

I usually hate boss fights, but these were nice and involving on Normal.

Nice postscript, too. Hell, yeah.

Does that postscript always appear or only if you've

uhm, bonded, with Faye

earlier in the game?

This is a great game, but those truck bits are bloody awful. I could certainly do without them.

There are numerous levels the game could've done without, really. The swimming section was bloody awful, as was the slide bit that sent you ricocheting between pillars if you so much as clipped one of them on the way down.

The game is generally really enjoyable but some of the novelty bits are fucking woeful.

Agreed. The water slide bit was great fun, and a nice little change of pace. Hell, most of the diversions were good fun and didn't overstay their welcome.

My only real issue is that I'd love an arcade mode where the interactions are taken out, more enemies are shunted in and you can really go crazy with the combat. For instance, I love the story, but the first mission has too much of Bo asking if you know how to shoot straight or understand how to tell him to fire at stuff.

Or a mode in which Charlie loses his hat and you have to kill lots of robots to retrieve it for him.

There are numerous levels the game could've done without, really. The swimming section was bloody awful, as was the slide bit that sent you ricocheting between pillars if you so much as clipped one of them on the way down.

The game is generally really enjoyable but some of the novelty bits are fucking woeful.

I really wish there was a NG+ option that took out all the road-based cop chases and left just the beautiful gun on robot action intact. I want to play it again, but I never want to go back to those bits. Actually, I haven't checked because it's back on the shelf now, but some vague idea is rattling around that there's a level select, is that right?

I loved Vanquish - would I love this?

I don't see why not, BD has loads going for it so for £12 I say give it a chance. I didn't love it as much as I do Vanquish because of the vehicle sections I talked about, but shooting robots to pieces with some of the best weapons in videogames will give you your money's worth.

See, I'd normally agree with you, but these never quite outstay their welcome. F'rexample I hate tailgunner missions with a passion; it really spoils games when you have to stop running and gunning and just start wiping your cursor around the bloody screen like a bored window-cleaner.

But I was pretty much most of the way through the bit in the truck when I realised that this was exactly what it was, and I didn't mind at all.

I kinda agree about the swimming section - my heart sank when I thought I'd have to go through that again. But I didn't - I can imagine some people not making it past that bit.

The game reminds me a little of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System which had some of the same 'take apart robots piece by piece with awesome weapons', and 'let's throw in the kitchen sink for this level' design. This was better: tighter, shorter, and nice script.

Couple of times towards the end, the ratio of gameplay to cut-scenes started to get dangerously low, but on the whole the game trod that fine line without falling off.

Couple of times towards the end, the ratio of gameplay to cut-scenes started to get dangerously low, but on the whole the game trod that fine line without falling off.

It was mostly on the right side of the line, but I recall one bit with a five minute cutscene, then a thirty second long gameplay section where you shot about two robots or something, then back into a five minute cutscene. Not cool.

Anyway, folks seem to be a bit sensitive to even the slightest negative response to this game, even from people who really enjoyed it in the most part. Guess it's one of those titles that exceeded middling expectations and has become teflon to criticism on this forum.

Well, it didn't so much 'exceed expectations' as 'kick the arses off 99% of the overhyped and underdelivering competition'.

If this had been made with the typical AAA western budget, I shudder to think how inferior most competing games would look in comparison.