Binary Domain

The Sarge

In the campaign if you use a headset and say the name of someone not currently in your team of three they report in and tell you how things are going. Awesome :wub:

What? Seriously?

Mind blown. That's an awesome touch, and I gotta try it right now.

Yeah, I meant to say Go! but the game took it as Bo, and he was all, lotsa scrapheads here bro, gotta meet up soon, or something. Also if you say Phillips you can talk to your CO. Its such an awesome little detail that hardly anyone is going to see.

Yeah, I meant to say Go! but the game took it as Bo, and he was all, lotsa scrapheads here bro, gotta meet up soon, or something. Also if you say Phillips you can talk to your CO. Its such an awesome little detail that hardly anyone is going to see.

you can talk to Phillips?!

If my mind hadn't blown all over the place that last time, it'd be gooshing out and splattering around the walls right now. Why on earth would they never mention this? I went back and started trying this out - basically harassing Rachael and Faye in 2-1 as I took Bo and Charlie along with me. They kept telling me to shut up, so I kept calling them up like a complete dick.

It was great!

Just started the PC version of this and was playing along thinking "hmm well it's ok, pretty standard action shooter going on here". then the cutscene before the waterslide started and it's piqued my interest. Then the fucking waterslide happened and I was confused to fuck about how awesome that was. Then Bo said "sweet" and I'm in love.

Just started the PC version of this and was playing along thinking "hmm well it's ok, pretty standard action shooter going on here". then the cutscene before the waterslide started and it's piqued my interest. Then the fucking waterslide happened and I was confused to fuck about how awesome that was. Then Bo said "sweet" and I'm in love.

Holler if you're dead!

I also like that it's pretty generous with failure - you can purchase nanos so you can carry extra medpacks if you're rubbish, and even then your team-mates will rush over and help you out. And until they do, you can carry on heroically taking pot-shots at the bad guys with your pistol while lying on the ground - just like downed robot grunts can.

If your team can get to you, that is. I dipped back into this last night with the level select, and this one time...

On the level in the train platforms, where you run through the trains to cross the platforms, I made a stand in the wrong place and didn't notice an elevator full of red robots opening up right behind me. So I'm down, out of medpacks, and wondering where the hell my salvation was - then I notice that the train I had just run through had pulled out of the station, leaving my team-mates stranded on the other side (well, more like me stranded on this one). Shit. So I lie there, attempting to hit anything at all with my pistol while the world fades out. Just as the screen is fading to pure white, I dimly make out a silhouette crouching down beside me.

Saved by the 9:34 bullet train to Nagoya...

They probably met on a voice-over for some videogame or anime series - they both seem to have done loads.

Hah. This is fascinating stuff. Having just finished off watching the Darker than Black anime, I knew I also recognised Charles' voice - guy called Troy Baker, who's also done loads of games voice-overs. He played a British MI6 agent in the anime - funny, that: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1684869/

Must be a neat niche to get into.

[Edit: and he's from Texas, so not a Brit at all. I thought his accent slipped a couple of times, but not that bad more like a regional Brit putting on RP - more convincing than Sean Bean in Goldeneye, for sure.]

Oh man this has one of the worst opening levels ever for what happens next.

Its only just begun trust me.

Did I mention how much I enjoyed this game - one of the best 3rd person shooters this gen has given us - even the plot is fun and twists a few times.

the novelty bits are fucking woeful.

slightest negative response

Its not that people are not responding to criticism, its that some criticism is really puerile. the game is not perfect, I wish it was longer and that there were more things to do like in the yakuza games,

but there is so much right for a low profile game as this that is frankly refreshing.

I guess thinking that certain parts of a game I generally enjoyed were abysmal is just unacceptable in some way. I suspect they'd be given a much harder time if this had been a higher profile, more successful game, but everyone likes an underdog and on reflection I can understand why people are a bit sensitive to it. At least the swimmy slidey stuff tended to be mercifully short, I'll give it that at least.

On a more positive note, every in-game shop should have that little roulette bonus in some form. Such a little thing but it made me smile every time I won.

I guess thinking that certain parts of a game I generally enjoyed were abysmal is just unacceptable in some way. I suspect they'd be given a much harder time if this had been a higher profile, more successful game, but everyone likes an underdog and on reflection I can understand why people are a bit sensitive to it. At least the swimmy slidey stuff tended to be mercifully short, I'll give it that at least.

On a more positive note, every in-game shop should have that little roulette bonus in some form. Such a little thing but it made me smile every time I won.

I genuinely can't think of a single moment in Binary Domain which is terrible. That's not meaning to say you don't think that (as you obviously do) but I can't think of any part where I thought 'this shouldn't be here' or 'this is awful' The closest I probably came to that was during the waterski bit but that was about it. If anything I thought it did an absolutely brilliant job of mixing things up constantly and doing a fucking great job of it too. The trucks bits/chase bits were really exciting as well, especially towards the end.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone who doesn't like the game, that's silly, but I have to admit it really warms my heart to see so many people really love a game as much as I do. Usually I'm sitting there on my own raving about something I like! :D

I suspect they'd be given a much harder time if this had been a higher profile, more successful game

well, yes. thats the whole point. given that this and Vanquish sold like shit, its unlikely we are going to get more of it. My enthusiasm for this game is because I want to play other games like this, not necessarily because its perfect.

I just want more games that do the things BD and Vanquish do, possibly even better...a sequel to BD centered on the adventures of Cain! wouldnt that be something...

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty much alone in thinking the story was disappointing, to the point where it adversely affected the pacing (and therefore my enjoyment) of the game.

Played it to the finish and I can honestly say that was one of the best experiences I've had in a long long time. Everything about it was amazing, the only thing that bugged me was it had to end. Guts me that a sequel is probably way to much to hope for.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else got the PC version and cant hear any NPC or cut-scene dialogue at all? My voice comms work fine but the lack of any speech in the game is ruining it, I've fiddled with the sound devices etc and t's not being outputted through the headset or anything. All other sound is fine... barely any reference to this bug online, one of the very few mentions on the internet of it happening is someone on PS3 though.

I really want to play this but I can't!

Playing through a second time on the tougher difficulty level - the Tsar Runner took absolutely bloody ages to take down this time. Hit the 'Mission Failed' screen a few too many times. I'm past it now, but I hope nothing else is that much worse than the original run-through.

Which platform would be the bestest to get this on?

The 360 version has a better framerate during certain trouble spots. Multiplayer seems like a bit of a bust on both platforms, unless you're looking to play with Japanese PS3 owners.

Picked this up cheap after all the gushing praise on the forum, but I'm not feeling it at all. I probably haven't played enough - or maybe it shouldn't be mixed while playing Max Payne 3 - but so far it seems like an unholy and slightly uncomfortable mix of every cliche East (Robots! Shiny suits! Phoned in voice acting!) and West (Wisecracks! Guns! Marines!) combined in one generic soulless bore-a-thon.

Aaand finished! After an extremely slow opening I really started to enjoy this after the fight with the massive enemy spider and by the second half I was completely hooked. Apart from EDF 2017, which is a pretty unique game anyway, I think I haven't enjoyed any other shooter this gen as much as Binary Domain. I might be forgetting a shooter or two though, but I enjoyed it a shitload more than the likes of Gears of War, that's for damn sure. It's clichéd sure, but what shooter isn't? The pace and the energetic storyline and characters made for a far more enjoyable experience than most other shooters - while it's on the same level as a comic book and hardly a work of art, it was enjoyable for what it was. I also really liked the shooting itself, quick and responsive, and disassembling robots by shooting bits off of them never got old. All in all, fun game.