Binary Domain

The Sarge

Yeah, I found out about this, Vanquish, Just Cause 2, Alpha Protocol through threads on here.

This and Alpha Protocol, in particular, got mixed critical receptions; but reading through their respective threads made me want to give them a punt. Loved them both. They both had pretty short threads, too - most of the big, popular games get your 100+ page threads; not these gems.

Actually, the first 360 game I bought was Mass Effect also because of the love I saw lavished on it in here; but that was clearly a more popular opinion.

lolwhat

Some of the guns are pretty useless, yeah, but the shotty and heavy machine gun are just wonderfully HARD.

Aaaaaaand...

Isn't that always the deal with every Chapter Select ever, though?

I just put Vanquish back in to test this... and I gotta stick with my original statement. One of the problems here is that I go into slow motion a *lot* in Vanquish and there's practically no sound or feeling of force during slow mo shootouts. On top of that, enemies flinch or explode from gunfire in a pretty standard way. Even though they might get blasted into the air - and apart - with the shotgun, it's so smoothly done and businesslike that the overall effect is lessened.

Gears does an awful job of this, incidentally - often you can only tell that bullets are hitting from the blood effect and the soft puttering of the lancer. Bulletstorm often does a great job on the other hand, for example the nice impact effects when kicking or lassoing enemies. Even Battlefield 3 has a great feeling of firepower simply because the gun sounds are so incredibly well done.

Chapter Select: True, it's not the only game that does this - but the difference between taking on the Tsar Runner with Dan's original weapon and the Shrieking Banshee Murdering Harbinger of Death ™ that it becomes is night and day. At full power, that thing is decimation incarnate and while it'd make earlier missions way easier than intended, it would still feel great. The current system also makes later levels way slower than you'd be used to in the usual game since your gun's stuck at level 1.

I'd love to have seen a straight up score attack in the game. Full power carnage, new enemy placements - the works.

The trust system is fine, aside from two points: your team mates have been trained by the hostages in Virtua Cop, launching themselves into your line of sight and yelling 'don't shoot me' as they do so. The other one is that first time through your team comes and goes according to the storyline, so you may not be able to max the trust of someone you were about to do next as they disappear for half the game. Other than that, it's fine.

Better than fine, actually. Having them seek you out after a fight specifically to tell you how awesome you are after a battlefield goes exactly to plan is always gratifying.

<3

PS: Am I the only one who got a slight Robocop vibe off that second pistol?

Better than fine, actually. Having them seek you out after a fight specifically to tell you how awesome you are after a battlefield goes exactly to plan is always gratifying.

And the opposite; having them disparage your manhood because you didn't pull your weight hurts, man.

It's true. Shindo called me a dick because he ran into gunfire during a 'charge' order and then called me an asshole even when I apologized. I shook with remorse for days.

Maybe if he'd actually shot at the thing that hit him I'd have had more sympathy towards his plight, but he was totally aiming at some dude behind cover at the time.

I attempted to articulate a response to this that encapsulated all of my feeling for it and I failed miserably.

I bought it based on the passion of this thread and I thought it was great. I played through on Survivor and only had issues with some of the boss battles because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. I think the Tsar Rider took about half an hour to kill first time around but felt much quicker when I played again on No Mercy.

I still prefer Vanquish, but destroying robots in BD is so much more satisfying that I'm a little conflicted.

Would any one be interested in some multiplayer at some point? It's completely dead on Live so some forum games of versus and Invasion would be great. :)

I finished this earlier today ago and I thought it was good, but no more. Being able to destroy the robots piece-by-piece is very good and the story is engaging, but I thought the trust system (and the AI in general) was naff, the actual shooting itself didn't feel very tight and it looked pretty bland. Never really felt upgrading anybody's weapons to the max did anything, either.

Overall it was well-paced, didn't outstay its welcome and completely worth the £10 I spent on it.

Would any one be interested in some multiplayer at some point? It's completely dead on Live so some forum games of versus and Invasion would be great. :)

I could certainly live with this. It'd be nice to actually try the multi out for once.

Must be a terrible thing for a development team, spending time and budget on a multiplayer mode that practically nobody has ever played since day one.

I must admit, I didn't particularly enjoy the demo when I first tried it, but then I picked up the full title a few weeks back after seeing a special offer on the forum.

My only regret is that I didn't buy it as soon as it came out. It's so much fun to play (especially when you've got a shotty and have levelled up the original rifle). Going on a shotty rampage always puts a smile on my face, and as cheesy as the "Wow Dan, that was amazing!" stuff is, it works perfectly due to the tone and nature of the game. One of the few games of this generation that make you feel like a total badass, I think Vanquish & Asura's Wrath are the only other ones that spring to mind at the moment.

GET THE LEAD OUT!

About to go the tesco route as well. Just wondered if there is any pref (apart from controller) between 360 & ps3 or is it much of a muchness?

This is probably too late, but the 360 version has a more stable framerate. Not that it's terrible on PS3, but there are a few trouble spots — such as an early boss — which aren't so egregious on Xbox.

I just picked this up on Saturday too along with my cousin who got the Xbob version where I got the PS3 title. I'm lookng forward to trying it out and will probably add my own thoughts in time here. At the current price, it's amazing to think it came out months ago literally, and yet I just picked up a brand new copy sealed for less than a tenner.

I gave this another chance yesterday, and still think it’s a bit rubs. The knockout blow was some section where I had to shoot a gorilla with a mounted gun, while my rubbish special needs AI partner struggled to bring me the ammo I’d politely requested, and instead ran around in circles for a bit and then I died.

The actual egg-and-chips robot shooting at the core of the game is really satisfying, it’s just the continual gimmicks the game chucks at you that do my head in. I spent about twenty minutes wandering around an area filled with choking gas looking for a junction box to shoot, while an 1850s minstrelsy black man stereotype shouted the same lines of dialogue over and over again. I mean, I like shooting robots. I want to do that, not hunt for glowing boxes while my sidekick says “oh yass massa, Bo gon’ whup some robots” six times a minute.

It’s probably not fair to compare it to Vanquish, but I’m going to do so anyway because I’m vindictive, and also because the games are so damn similar. Vanquish has its core mechanic, and any variation in the game is a different slant on that same central mechanic, so it feels satisfying without being too repetitive. Binary Domain seems less confident in itself, and chucks all these different scenarios and environments in there apparently for fear of boring the player, but to me it just makes the game feel like a series of undernourished setpieces and minigames diluting a perfectly decent third person shooter.

There are some frustrating little niggles in there as well, like the AI partners wandering into your crosshairs and whining at you for shooting them. Obviously each to their own taste and all that, but if you like this game, you are objectively wrong and a bad person.

I gave this another chance yesterday, and still think it’s a bit rubs. The knockout blow was some section where I had to shoot a gorilla with a mounted gun, while my rubbish special needs AI partner struggled to bring me the ammo I’d politely requested, and instead ran around in circles for a bit and then I died.

The actual egg-and-chips robot shooting at the core of the game is really satisfying, it’s just the continual gimmicks the game chucks at you that do my head in. I spent about twenty minutes wandering around an area filled with choking gas looking for a junction box to shoot, while an 1850s minstrelsy black man stereotype shouted the same lines of dialogue over and over again. I mean, I like shooting robots. I want to do that, not hunt for glowing boxes while my sidekick says “oh yass massa, Bo gon’ whup some robots” six times a minute.

It’s probably not fair to compare it to Vanquish, but I’m going to do so anyway because I’m vindictive, and also because the games are so damn similar. Vanquish has its core mechanic, and any variation in the game is a different slant on that same central mechanic, so it feels satisfying without being too repetitive. Binary Domain seems less confident in itself, and chucks all these different scenarios and environments in there apparently for fear of boring the player, but to me it just makes the game feel like a series of undernourished setpieces and minigames diluting a perfectly decent third person shooter.

There are some frustrating little niggles in there as well, like the AI partners wandering into your crosshairs and whining at you for shooting them. Obviously each to their own taste and all that, but if you like this game, you are objectively wrong and a bad person.

So the game has too much variety and scenarios, and you just want to play a simpler third person shooter?

I can see where k is coming from with that complaint, but enjoyed the game despite that. There are moments where it is almost Disaster: day of crisis-like in the number of extra bits that it throws at you - but crucially extra bits that just aren't as well implemented as the main game. It does take too long to get going as well. It was only the positivity emanating from this thread that encouraged me to persevere. If there were ever to be a sequel, they really need to sort out the stupidity of the AI. It's bad enough that they wander in front of your sights so often, but when that results in a drop in trust as well it just adds insult to injury. But having said all of that, it is up there with Bulletstorm and Lollipop Chainsaw in being one of the action game highlights of this year.

So the game has <em>too much</em> variety and scenarios, and you just want to play a simpler third person shooter?

I’m saying that the core shooting was fun, but the various one-off setpieces where you ride jetskis or run away from big gorilla things feel gimmicky and underdeveloped.

I can see where k is coming from with that complaint, but enjoyed the game despite that. There are moments where it is almost Disaster: day of crisis-like in the number of extra bits that it throws at you - but crucially extra bits that just aren't as well implemented as the main game. It does take too long to get going as well. It was only the positivity emanating from this thread that encouraged me to persevere. If there were ever to be a sequel, they really need to sort out the stupidity of the AI. It's bad enough that they wander in front of your sights so often, but when that results in a drop in trust as well it just adds insult to injury. But having said all of that, it is up there with Bulletstorm and Lollipop Chainsaw in being one of the action game highlights of this year.

Bulletstorm was last year.

I hope it's good because at least I'll feel a little bit less of a muppet.

Still my game of the year. It's fantastic.