Binary Domain

The Sarge

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started playing this over the last couple of of hours or so trying to get the hang of it. I recently played the new Resident Evil Operation Racoon City game and it reminded me of that quite a lot the way it controls. It also reminds me a bit of Dead Space with the workbenches and upgrading things.

The robots feel satisying to kill, but what is doing my fucking nut in are those commands that keep popping the fuck up when i'm trying to take cover. I assumed it was a case of holding L2 (PS3 version) to bring it up and letting go would remove it. Several times it's gotten in the way and i've just continually been stuck in the open unable to hide next to something. I've had bits where the other guy talks to you and you can see some controls in front of you, but it doesn't do anything which might be during the dialogue, all the while getting shot. Am I missing something here? It's the commands that annoy me though, and even pressing one during a moment where it decides to stay on the screen doesn't get rid of it. I've even had it appear and disappear without pressing any buttons.

[edit]

I've just finished the first chapter now which took quite a lot longer than I'd have expected and was worried about the save system from what I read on this thread in the past. Does the game save automatically at checkpoints, or does it literally only allow you to start a whole chapter from the beginning? I've also been experiencing that clicky button thing. In fact one time the menu was being activated whenever I pressed L1 which should have been L2 of course, and it would show up every time until I pressed L2 (the actual button to use) which seemed to strangely reset the problem. Usually though it starts flickering on and off rapidly for no reason and i'll just stop and hold the controller without pressing anything while it's there flicking on and off. I can't work out if this is a problem with the game or the controller. I haven't noticed anything like this before on other games, although I did used to get trigger happy button presses without realisng it because of the sensitivity of the shoulder button. Not like it does it on this game though.

So far though the game is really getting engaging, and as others have pointed out also, destroying the robots feels satifying in a way that you continually blow parts off them and they keep going.

Just finished it all now. Overall it's a superb game and definitely one of my games of the year. It isn't that long to complete but really managed to keep me.fully engaged the whole time.

Just finished it all now. Overall it's a superb game and definitely one of my games of the year. It isn't that long to complete but really managed to keep me.fully engaged the whole time.

Yeah which is why I've restarted it again straight after completing it but this time on hard. Hard really does put across an enjoyable challenge too. The only part that annoys me is the lift section in the sewer where you have to keep shooting robots off Rachael otherwise its instant game over.

Oh and that spider boss on hard took me like 40 mins or so to do, almost wiping me out entirely but just, only just managed to take it down. It's fucking huge and seens to have so many weak spots to take out.

I'm not sure why it happens but I still get a shoulder button glitch every now and again where the command menu switches on and off loads. Then it starts activating when holding R1 instead of r2 so that when I zoom my gun in, the menu appears at the same time. It's moat annoying when fighting and it won't go away resulting in me being unable to hide against a wall. Fortunately it isn't too frequent. I updated it thinking it might have been a problem with the initial ps3 release but it atill happens to me.

Do you ever think before you hit 'Post'? Stop being a tedious contrarian and actually contribute to the discussion.

So just to get things straight, if i try and discuss things in depth, people have a go and call me a "troll". If i state my opinions in a concise, light hearted manner.............people have a go and call me a "troll". Great!

I think this game's a bit shit. How does that make me a "tedious contrarian"? Notice how its its not me throwing thinly veiled insults around again either?

I'm a big Sega fan, love action games, and read positive comments on here about Binary Domain, so thought i'd give it a go at £10. Its about all its worth.

Its a thoroughly average game, that is packed with lots of potentially decent ideas, that are poorly implemented and shoddily executed. Its derivative and unoriginal, copies mechanics from other better games and ends up being worse off in the process. For one, the whole team mechanic is rubbish. I'm playing on Survivor, there's little challenge, tension or excitement as you're team mates constantly revive you when you go down. This is great fun, as you get to sit for 30secs to 1min staring at the screen, as they heal you, whilst spouting the same annoying sound clip over and over.............. whilst being shot with rockets............ and smashed by giant robots........with no ill effect. It all feels cheap, poorly thought through and fundamentally flawed.

Much of it is disjointed and jarring too. One minute in the middle of a battle, next a cutscene is triggered and the enemy just gives up. Apparently giant gunships and numerous robots are frightened of zip wires or something, as they all suddenly disappeared and went home when i used one. The characters are also borderline offensive. Horrendous, stereotyped, cringe inducing, cliched stuff, that's all the rage in dysfunctional 13 year olds fantasies. The kind of mindless shit that gives games and gamers a bad name. "yeah Bro, lets double team a Prostitute. Awesome!" "Hey, i'm only 15 will you be my Boyfriend" Seriously, people associate with this shit?

Basically, its all a bit Blue Stinger. Feels like one of those first gen, new console games. Its well budget. Please note this is MY OPINION. If other people love this game, then great. That is THEIR OPINION. Don't see what there is to get all upset about really?

So just to get things straight, if i try and discuss things in depth, people have a go and call me a "troll". If i state my opinions in a concise, light hearted manner.............people have a go and call me a "troll". Great!

That didn't come across as a light-hearted statement of opinion, it was more like "hey, here's a thread where almost everyone's enjoying the game, I'll steam in and say how shit it is".

Basically, its all a bit Blue Stinger. Feels like one of those first gen, new console games. Its well budget. Please note this is MY OPINION. If other people love this game, then great. That is THEIR OPINION. Don't see what there is to get all upset about really?

Ah, now comes the patronising patter. And you wonder why you get negged. There's nothing wrong with stating an opinion. Indeed, you might note that several people have expressed differing opinions in this thread without managing to annoy anyone.

Its a thoroughly average game

poorly implemented and shoddily executed.

Its derivative and unoriginal,

copies mechanics from other better games and ends up being worse off in the process.

For one, the whole team mechanic is rubbish.

I'm playing on Survivor, there's little challenge, tension or excitement

Much of it is disjointed and jarring too

The characters are also borderline offensive.

Horrendous, stereotyped, cringe inducing, cliched stuff, that's all the rage in dysfunctional 13 year olds fantasies.

Seriously, people associate with this shit?

Please note this is MY OPINION.

You opinion seems poorly executed, even derivative and unoriginal. in fact, its plain rubbish. it is disjointed and jarring, almost offensive. it feels cliched and cringe inducing, stereotyped even. it feels like it has been written by a 13 years old boy!

Please note this is JUST MY OPINION. if others like you opinion, then great, IT IS THEIR OPINION.

PS:

That the command menu sometimes offers you a choice between a four-letter profanity or a declaration of love is Nagoshi at his most mischievous, and it’s this eye for the ridiculous that helps give Binary Domain a stronger sense of identity. If for the most part it seems like a calculated tilt at the western market, it’s determined to maintain the blend of the real and the outlandishly fantastical that is the Yakuza games’ stock in trade. Few western games would ever introduce a character like Cain, a camp French robot apparently programmed by the writers of ‘Allo ‘Allo, nor a set-piece where several soldiers hold off waves of attackers while one of their number attends to the call of nature.

http://www.edge-onli...-binary-domain/

binary_domain_0.jpg

PS:

That the command menu sometimes offers you a choice between a four-letter profanity or a declaration of love is Nagoshi at his most mischievous, and it’s this eye for the ridiculous that helps give Binary Domain a stronger sense of identity. If for the most part it seems like a calculated tilt at the western market, it’s determined to maintain the blend of the real and the outlandishly fantastical that is the Yakuza games’ stock in trade. Few western games would ever introduce a character like Cain, a camp French robot apparently programmed by the writers of ‘Allo ‘Allo, nor a set-piece where several soldiers hold off waves of attackers while one of their number attends to the call of nature.

http://www.edge-onli...-binary-domain/

Wasn't a robot in one of the KotOR games camp?

Oh come on. It's a thoroughly average third person shooter who's story and characters lift it far beyond any feasible level of enjoyment. The script and story are the gem in this, the ludicrous characterisations and interactions ringing a warm smile to my face every time they play. The shooting though? Well, it's passable.

I'm at the second ape fight and it's annoying me. Can't stop playing it though, there's something massively amusing about it.

I managed to finish it on Saturday evening, and then continued with it on the harder difficulty as I couldn't leave it alone, then by Sunday evening had finished it again opening up that No Mercy mode or something, which I even started. I don't usually have as high an expectation for modern games though really as I haven't been playing current gen long enough to be exhausted by what's available.

I also noticed that one of the scenes was different for me the second time around, in the medical area of the resistance base, which i'm guessing is down to how you answer questions as you progress.

Your responses to questions affect the level of trust/respect each team member has, and this does affect some events. Maximizing everyone's trust by the endgame is a meta-game in itself, as you mainly only gain or lose a team-member's trust when they're with you, and some members aren't available for parts of the game.

You also lose trust/respect if you don't pull your weight, or do stuff that pisses them off, like shooting them (which, given their penchant for running through your line of fire can be a pain).

And yeah, some scenes do play out slightly differently, depending on the other person's level of respect for you.

Is every single boss fight in this terrible? Or do they become good eventually?

Came close to hating Cain due to it being so bloody slow grabbing ammo. Eventually did the fight by overloading the gun myself before the gorilla broke in.

The gorilla is definitely, definitely the worst boss in the game. That said, I enjoyed nearly all of the other bosses, including those which preceded it (the spider boss :wub:), so you may well not like those (few? I forget) that remain.

When I played this first time through I was fearing the moment I was about to witness the gorilla but in the end it didn't bother me at all and was easier on hard as I knew how to manoeuvre better. The spider on hard was tougher and so was that fucking road boss which took longer than all the others to do. I loved the bosses though as a whole and yeah that spider was immense. Oh the chandelier thing was interesting, liked that.

No ill say it, this game has featured some of the best bosses I've fought full stop. Really enjoyed it all. I havenr played anything that damages the way it does on this, therefore from what ppl have said, I must be missing out on a lot.

waitwhat

The gorilla is fucking awesome. Learn to time your dodges, sluts.

Sure, he ain't no giant fuckyou spider boss, but it's a very enjoyable fight.

Which time around? There's the face-to-face, and there's the mounted gun, and the latter is a tad less fun. As Pelekophoros points out.