Binary Domain

The Sarge

I can't figure out how Dead Space fits into this mash up comparision.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this game, finished it twice, the trust system and it's corny dialogue made the other squad members more memorable. Some of the bosses were frustrating and it does have a slight unfinished/unpolished feel to it, in the early levels it spends time teaching you a technique which you never use again.

Shooting the limbs off enemies etc to slow them down innit.

Please note, my above repsonse to No Substance (apt name), was because he was being a total Prrrrrriiick and shouldn't be taken at face value. Thank you.

I can't figure out how Dead Space fits into this mash up comparision.

It's possibly because he's overwhelmed with hatred. Imagine if he could put all that passion into enthusing about a game he likes instead of... you know, doing what he's doing here. Basically, he's calling anyone who likes this exceptional shooter a moron.

Real, real mature.

It's possibly because he's overwhelmed with hatred. Imagine if he could put all that passion into enthusing about a game he likes instead of... you know, doing what he's doing here. Basically, he's calling anyone who likes this exceptional shooter a moron.

Real, real mature.

I think you'll find, that if you read back through the thread its the other way round. I came on here and gave my opinion of the game and other people threw a shit-fit and told me i'm a troll and that i'm in some way trying to change peoples opinions and insult folk. Ironically, these people were telling me i was wrong, insulting me, and trying to change my opinion.

I'll say it again, these are just MY OPINIONS, if people like this game then great, i'm not telling them "they don't get it" or that they're thick like some folk do on here. That'd be a really shitty, unfriendly thing to do.

Be kind, words to live by.

I would argue that it's an exceptional shooter. Beyond the cool-as-fuck robots exploding into pieces with each bullet the shooting's on about the same level as Spec Ops. Serviceable, but nothing special. Everything around it is what elevates this game for me: Big Bo asking me to hook him up down in the slums, fighting a giant Transformer from the back of a garbage truck, being able to yell "I love you!" into my headset to see different character's reactions to it. It's weird as hell and I love it. If Aspel thinks this is bad I'd love to see his take on Quantum Theory.

I would argue that it's an exceptional shooter. Beyond the cool-as-fuck robots exploding into pieces with each bullet the shooting's on about the same level as Spec Ops. Serviceable, but nothing special. Everything around it is what elevates this game for me: Big Bo asking me to hook him up down in the slums, fighting a giant Transformer from the back of a garbage truck, being able to yell "I love you!" into my headset to see different character's reactions to it. It's weird as hell and I love it. If Aspel thinks this is bad I'd love to see his take on Quantum Theory.

Fuck me, watch out, claiming this isn't anything but the best game since sliced Hovis could potentially see you shot at dawn.

I don't tend to play games these days unless they're the best of the best. Also, I only really play stuff these days when i'm taking a break from making music, leaving me a bit out of touch with new releases. I picked this up on a whim, along with FF13-2 (diminished responsibility), when i was in Tesco looking for Pro Evo. I can only begin to imagine just how wildly shit that's going to be!

Everything around it is what elevates this game for me: Big Bo asking me to hook him up down in the slums, fighting a giant Transformer from the back of a garbage truck, being able to yell "I love you!" into my headset to see different character's reactions to it. It's weird as hell and I love it.

Pretty much sums it up; when I look back I remember a bunch of niggles here and there, but when I played it I ended up with so many 'Fuck, yeah!' moments and grinning like a loon. The dumb heroics are clearly portrayed as an affectionate pastiche; well, to me at least - Aspel clearly didn't read it the same way, but like he says, his opinion.

I don't tend to play games these days unless they're the best of the best.

I've never been able to work out which those are; at least, not in advance.

This gen, I've had a lot of fun from the mid-tier, off the wall games which have polarised opinion on here. This; Alpha Protocol; Lollipop Chainsaw; Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Games with flaws, but a lot of personality.

But I have fairly catholic tastes - and have been gaming for 35 years, so I've seen some shit games; this isn't one of them, but I can see why some people don't get on with it.

Pretty much sums it up; when I look back I remember a bunch of niggles here and there, but when I played it I ended up with so many 'Fuck, yeah!' moments and grinning like a loon. The dumb heroics are clearly portrayed as an affectionate pastiche; well, to me at least - Aspel clearly didn't read it the same way, but like he says, his opinion.

There's a black guy who talks all "word up bro! Shit, my man, look at dat fiiine phat ass. She off the hook Boi! Get me"! Do you know any black people who actually talk like that? I certainly don't. That's just the tip of the iceberg. All the characters and the whole script itself appear to have been put together by a crack team of sexually repressed 16 year olds. Its fucking cringe inducing. At times i was wincing and muting the sound out of embarrasment.

There's even a girl wiggling around in skimpy hot pants, who asks you, knowing you're a grown man in game, "I'm only 15, will you be my boyfriend"? Binary Domain? More like Peado Domain! I was expecting Jimmy Savlon to pop up on screen " now then, now then, Jim'll fix it for you to bang a 15 year old". This is the kind of stuff i despise in games. Its total and utter shite. I can't for the life of me understand why anybody puts up with this shit, let alone enjoys it, or God forbid identifies with it, unless.......................................they're sexually repressed 16yr olds.

One other thing i've not yet touched upon is the whole trust system. "Yo blood, i'd tap that sweet ass! Shit bro, ya get me. PLAYER!" Choose "yes or "no". Choose your own story this is not. The characters may as well ask you, "am i a twat" or "do you want to smash my back doors in"? Answer "yes" or "no". Hmm, how will this possibly affect my relationship with this character? People on here have deemed this total bollocks a "meta-Game". Hilarious. Not that it matters as this whole system its utterly pointless along with the whole team mechanic itself, and just gets in the way of the actual game.

As i've said though, if people like this stuff, then fair enough, each to their own and all that.

Sure, don't mention the fact that your team members will compliment you when making sweet kills a.k.a. the game actually rewards you for playing like a pro. THAT's what the trust system is all about, and it's the shit, boi.

I'm not sure if you're actually being serious or not? What's that got to do with gameplay? The team mechanic adds nothing to the game. It just seems like a cynical, poorly implemented copy of GOW. Yeah, you have the option of them healing you when you're injured, (which totally destroys any difficulty or challenge the game might offer), but outside of that they're pointless and if anything a total annoyance. They just spaz around and shout the same lines of dialogue over and over again. I've not needed to use any commands for them, at any point in the game. That's supposed to be a big feature. Great design, right there.

I'm not sure if you're actually being serious or not? What's that got to do with gameplay?

You get points for doing the right thing and your team is more or less helpful based on the instructions you give. But I mean you probably haven't noticed that given your bizarre determination to hate the game.

The team mechanic adds nothing to the game. It just seems like a cynical, poorly implemented copy of GOW.

Which had exactly the same team mec...oh, wait. And how is Big Bo any less a stereotype than Cole Train?

but outside of that they're pointless and if anything a total annoyance. They just spaz around and shout the same lines of dialogue over and over again. I've not needed to use any commands for them, at any point in the game. That's supposed to be a big feature. Great design, right there.

Ah, well. More fool you. You won't get the best ending, then.

Hi Aspel. Just to say, I think the best example ever of how come you manage to annoy and wind people up so easily comes in this here thread. To quote:

I can't for the life of me understand why anybody puts up with this shit, let alone enjoys it, or God forbid identifies with it, unless.......................................they're sexually repressed 16yr olds.

As i've said though, if people like this stuff, then fair enough, each to their own and all that.

As you say, you do say people are allowed to have the opinion that the game is good. Providing that they're sexually repressed 16 year olds.

There's a black guy who talks all "word up bro! Shit, my man, look at dat fiiine phat ass. She off the hook Boi! Get me"! Do you know any black people who actually talk like that? I certainly don't. That's just the tip of the iceberg. All the characters and the whole script itself appear to have been put together by a crack team of sexually repressed 16 year olds. Its fucking cringe inducing. At times i was wincing and muting the sound out of embarrasment.

There's even a girl wiggling around in skimpy hot pants, who asks you, knowing you're a grown man in game, "I'm only 15, will you be my boyfriend"? Binary Domain? More like Peado Domain! I was expecting Jimmy Savlon to pop up on screen " now then, now then, Jim'll fix it for you to bang a 15 year old". This is the kind of stuff i despise in games. Its total and utter shite. I can't for the life of me understand why anybody puts up with this shit, let alone enjoys it, or God forbid identifies with it, unless.......................................they're sexually repressed 16yr olds.

One other thing i've not yet touched upon is the whole trust system. "Yo blood, i'd tap that sweet ass! Shit bro, ya get me. PLAYER!" Choose "yes or "no". Choose your own story this is not. The characters may as well ask you, "am i a twat" or "do you want to smash my back doors in"? Answer "yes" or "no". Hmm, how will this possibly affect my relationship with this character? People on here have deemed this total bollocks a "meta-Game". Hilarious. Not that it matters as this whole system its utterly pointless along with the whole team mechanic itself, and just gets in the way of the actual game.

This stuff is what makes me wonder about your ability to get it or not,

dont you see its tongue and cheeck? If you say yes to her request, your teammate trust will go down! the game is poking fun at itself and the player,

one must be pretty miserable to see paedofilia in BD.

Rachel was more interesting to me in that she was totally businesslike, and rather atypical of usual female character design. Genuinely refreshing to see that kind of portrayal.

I completely agree. And an older character - both her and Charlie had clearly seen some action together (I loved the scene where the team get ready to open the door to enter the sewage plant, and the other three stand round like lemons while she and Charlie get out of the way, sharpish and with practiced skill). One of the things I disliked about Faye was that she was so young and seemed way too slight be a soldier, even if she was a sniper by trade. Rachel was completely believable as an experienced, professional soldier.

I liked Charlie, irascible old Brit as he is; 'Do you even know the meaning of the word 'covert', Sergeant?'. 'What can I say? I like to make an entrance.'

You don't understand a thing about fun. Please stop playing video games.

You clearly don't understand a thing about decent game design. Please don't ever attempt to make one.

You get points for doing the right thing and your team is more or less helpful based on the instructions you give. But I mean you probably haven't noticed that given your bizarre determination to hate the game.

Which had exactly the same team mec...oh, wait. And how is Big Bo any less a stereotype than Cole Train?

Ah, well. More fool you. You won't get the best ending, then.

Just because i disagreed with you months ago over something totally trivial on another thread, there's no need to keep popping up trying to argue with me, or prove how wrong i am. Just let it go youth.

"Doing the right thing" you say...........do you mean like "hey lets double team a prostitute". Answer "yes" or "no". "Ya bang that ass blood". Answer "yes" or "no". Amazing gameplay.

As i've said, i haven't used the team mates, or needed to use any commands, at any point in the game. The whole mechanic is totally superficial, and adds nothing to the game at all. If anything it hinders the actual gameplay. This was not the case in GOW, because it was actually well designed, some thought had gone into it. The whole mechanic worked properly and added to the gameplay. Also should point out, I'm not interested in answering totally mindless questions, in order to unlock and watch cutscenes. I play games for their gameplay.

Hi Aspel. Just to say, I think the best example ever of how come you manage to annoy and wind people up so easily comes in this here thread.

As you say, you do say people are allowed to have the opinion that the game is good. Providing that they're sexually repressed 16 year olds.

The people with the problem, are those who get wound up about a videogame. I'm not telling anybody what they should think, or saying that their opinion is invalid, or directly insulting them with meaning behind it, i'm just expressing my own opinion. No idea were you've got this, "i'm allowing people an opinion as long as they confess to being 16yr olds" from. Sums up the problem with forums really, some people always make their own version of events up, jump to conclusions or dismiss what's actually been posted, so it fits in with their own views.

No idea were you've got this, "i'm allowing people an opinion as long as they confess to being 16yr olds" from.

To avoid your usual subtle adjustments to quotes as the conversation progresses, I actually said:

..you do say people are allowed to have the opinion that the game is good. Providing that they're sexually repressed 16 year olds.

...and this was because you said:

Its total and utter shite. I can't for the life of me understand why anybody puts up with this shit, let alone enjoys it, or God forbid identifies with it, unless.......................................they're sexually repressed 16yr olds.

Nothing is being made up, no conclusions are being jumped to, and nothing is being disregarded.

And that's enough mention of sexual repression for one day.

Also picked this up a few weeks back after the the love in for it and finally got round to playing at the weekend. Have to admit I was feeling very Aspel about it after what felt like slogging to the lift with the monkey robots bit (end of chpt 2) which was annoying the hell out of me. Met Cain and was about to stop but told myself to play a bit further.

Which I did last night...I played for another 3 hours and had to force myself to stop and loved every minute of it, something just clicked. Thoroughly enjoyable, especially once you get the weapons a bit powered up and can shred the enemy in to pieces in a few shots. Some great bosses as well. Yes it's a bit clunky and crass/funny, depending how you feel, in places but it is just fun. Am now feeling more Spainkiller about it.

Happy Sega days... :)

I like that it's a game where you team up with a mincing robot who sounds like Inspector Clouseau, and FULLY ASPIE is complaining that the black guy isn't realistic enough.

Alright, Cockface!

To be fair, the A.I on the team mates is staggeringly realistic. At one point last night, i started to think that there might really be a crack squad of generic game characters, actually living inside my Xbox. How else can you explain, that during one outstandingly tedious section, the poor bastards went fully Tourettes, spazzing out and repeatedly shouting "NOT AGAIN" and "DOES THIS NEVER END"?!?! Staggeringly realistic.

Also picked this up a few weeks back after the the love in for it and finally got round to playing at the weekend. Have to admit I was feeling very Aspel about it after what felt like slogging to the lift with the monkey robots bit (end of chpt 2) which was annoying the hell out of me. Met Cain and was about to stop but told myself to play a bit further.

Which I did last night...I played for another 3 hours and had to force myself to stop and loved every minute of it, something just clicked. Thoroughly enjoyable, especially once you get the weapons a bit powered up and can shred the enemy in to pieces in a few shots. Some great bosses as well. Yes it's a bit clunky and crass/funny, depending how you feel, in places but it is just fun. Am now feeling more Spainkiller about it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I've just got to a bit were you control a robot/gun turret, that's gone on and on and on, for that long, i got bored and switched it off again.

What level are you playing on? It seems the game doesn't actually have any difficulty level at all, but on higher settings just makes enemies soak up a billion bullets before they drop. Which imo is awful game design, and makes the game itself incredibly dull to play through. Have you done the "Road Boss" yet? If so, how long did it take? I'm playing on Survivor and it went on for 20mins+, i almost lost the will to live!.

Nothing is being made up, no conclusions are being jumped to, and nothing is being disregarded.

And that's enough mention of sexual repression for one day.

If you actually read what you're quoting, and what you posted in response to it, you might just realise that you're reading stuff into my posts that's not actually there. You're another one of those people who i disagreed with on another thread sometime ago, and now keep cropping up trying to prove some kind of point. I don't get it, just let it go, its not worth it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I've just got to a bit were you control a robot/gun turret, that's gone on and on and on, for that long, i got bored and switched it off again.

What level are you playing on? It seems the game doesn't actually have any difficulty level at all, but on higher settings just makes enemies soak up a billion bullets before they drop. Which imo is awful game design, and makes the game itself incredibly dull to play through. Have you done the "Road Boss" yet? If so, how long did it take? I'm playing on Survivor and it went on for 20mins+, i almost lost the will to live!.

Is the Road Boss the one before you get to Amada Corp's house? If so it took a while I agree and I'm only playing it on Normal or equivalent. Can't imagine how long it would take on Survivor.

Currently legging it up their hq...

Is the Road Boss the one before you get to Amada Corp's house? If so it took a while I agree and I'm only playing it on Normal or equivalent. Can't imagine how long it would take on Survivor.

Currently legging it up their hq...

Yeah, that's the one!

I'm pretty sure if i'd have played this on Normal, i'd have had a better time with it. I'd still have found it poor, but i probably wouldn't be getting bored playing it, (not a good sign for an action game), and many of the flaws wouldn't be so annoying. In fact i'd probably have finished it by now with how long everything takes to die on Survivor, it really is totally daft.

LOL I agree, Aspel and Spainkiller are like the alpha and omega of videogame criticism. together they cover the whole spectrum from in-your-face-trolling to unyelding optimism.

PS: I enjoy Aspel all-out trolling despite his hating on one low-budget, niche-as-they-come game. I would love to see some of his spite directed towards some harder target, maybe a venomous attack on a real focus tested game with bland characters and middling gameplay (Assansin Creed? Uncharted? Gears? Mass Effect?)