Binary Domain

The Sarge

8 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

Yup, it worked :) Yay! 

Do they do this kind of stuff often?

On PC in general?  Yeah, pretty often if you also count offers that are so cheap that they might as well be free (like 5 excellent games for two quid through Humble Bundle for example). Just keep an eye out on the Steam thread, good deals pop up all the time.

Don't forget to grab Gunstar Heroes later today when the third pack of free SEGA games goes live!

This won't actually support controllers, I try and change input to controller in the setup, but it doesn't save the setting for whatever reason.

It's still bringing up keyboard prompts (and the keyboard prompts are mental, like ˽ is start, even though that's not actually a key on the keyboard), and that would be annoying if not exactly gamebreaking, but the sensitivity is mental, it's impossible to aim and I can't change it.

Just checked and it's still all okay for me. It might not be detected if your controller's off while you boot the game and then turn it on once it's running - quite a few games have this issue on PC.

I always did wonder how the multiplayer was on this. Wonder if there's a hope in hell of it actually being populated right now? I have to leave, but it's something I want to check when I get back.

So I completed this yesterday. At the start it seemed very generic, but I appreciated it more as it went on - it's the most videogamey videogame I've played in a while.

Is there a school where they send Japanese devs to learn this bizarre but loveable brand of B-movie cutscenes? Because I had to look up who developed it to check that it wasn't Capcoms Resi Team. I didn't expect to be defending a mens loo from waves of enemies while one of my teammates is on the bog.

Spoiler

I saved everyone except Bo, who sacrificed himself to save Faye. Looking up online, it's possible for Cain to return, I didn't realise that.

Ayep. You have to put everyone at max trust for the best outcome. My only small quibble with this is that you don't know who's available for a chapter ahead of time - though I've still managed to pull it off in every playthrough.

Spoiler

I can't - CAN'T - imagine losing any of my bestest chums while out on a sortie.

Apart from Shindo. Not much choice there, and he's not really part of the dream team so it's not quite as crushing a concept. I'd still save him if it was possible, mind.

Also, 'videogamey videogame' is probably the highest accolade a game can get from me. I like videogames a lot!

The fully upgraded rifle in this game is a thing of beauty. It's like a portable shredding machine designed to be used on robots. Pull the trigger and bits and sparks fly all over the place. It's amazing.

Playing through this at the moment, the gameplay is nothing new but the cutscenes are great. The characters, body language and dialogue are all fabulous, whilst I'm playing I just wanna get to the next cutscene, Cain is stealing the show at the mo.

Just beat the gorilla boss, that was not cool but I gotta keep pumping through I'm enjoying the cheesy story too much.

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

I'm four hours into this and so far I think it's garbage. Then again, I think gears of war and the majority of cover-centric third person shooters are utterly tedious.

If you think cover-centric third person shooters are utterly tedious then why are you playing a game that's a cover-centric third person shooter therefore filling - so far - four hours of your free time with nothing but tedium playing something you think is garbage? Why would you do this?

Then fire up your computer to bump an age old thread making everyone who loves the game - myself included - think it was away to get a remaster?

This is bad forum etiquette and you sir are a boob! 

1 hour ago, smac said:

Garbage? Mais non, M'sieur.

It usually takes a while for the game's charms to click - but it might never do it for you. Note that the start of the game is the worst.

It's worth emphasising that it's not just that the opening is the worst, it's, like, orders of magnitude worse than the rest of the game. Rise of the Robots to the rest of the game's Street Fighter III.

(that said, The Worst Opening lasts under an hour, so unless cotm is playing reeeeally slowly they're probably well past that point and should probably give up on the whole thing)

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

It's worth emphasising that it's not just that the opening is the worst, it's, like, orders of magnitude worse than the rest of the game. Rise of the Robots to the rest of the game's Street Fighter III.

(that said, The Worst Opening lasts under an hour, so unless cotm is playing reeeeally slowly they're probably well past that point and should probably give up on the whole thing)

I remember picking this up for about £5 in a bargain bin at GAME and I wasn't really sure why as I'd not heard much about it pre-release, the box art looked really awful and it wasn't the type of game I'd usually play as I wasn't fond of Gears of War. I played the first part and didn't touch it again for months as it was genuinely shit - the tutorial section is so tedious, so dull. I did, months after that put it back in the 360 as it was in my pile of shame and then I got to about an hour in and everything changed. It is a fantastic gem of a game. Why a group of games testers ever allowed them to include that tutorial section is beyond me. I loved every part of this and I usually hate boss fights. The only niggle I had was the boss fight in the underground tunnel with the boss that was a big truck (sorry, my memory is a bit fuzzy). That seemed to take a thousand attempts to clear. Brilliant game though.

10 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

If you think cover-centric third person shooters are utterly tedious then why are you playing a game that's a cover-centric third person shooter therefore filling - so far - four hours of your free time with nothing but tedium playing something you think is garbage? Why would you do this?

Then fire up your computer to bump an age old thread making everyone who loves the game - myself included - think it was away to get a remaster?

This is bad forum etiquette and you sir are a boob! 

Oh , it's bad forum etiquette for someone to play an old game and then want to talk about it? Should I hide it away in a thread just about my opinions or in retro somewhere so it doesn't excite the remaster brigade? Who love to replay six year old games so much that they don't want to play them, but want the chance to play them on a slightly newer platform?

Maybe I wanted to know WHY people think this game is so good. I bought this game because people on this forum hyped it up so much, and if they tell me there's a really great shooter then maybe I'm going to check it out.

1 hour ago, chris on the moon said:

Oh , it's bad forum etiquette for someone to play an old game and then want to talk about it? Should I hide it away in a thread just about my opinions or in retro somewhere so it doesn't excite the remaster brigade? Who love to replay six year old games so much that they don't want to play them, but want the chance to play them on a slightly newer platform?

Maybe I wanted to know WHY people think this game is so good. I bought this game because people on this forum hyped it up so much, and if they tell me there's a really great shooter then maybe I'm going to check it out.

Then why not actually say that? You know, actually say that you're a few hours in and not feeling it and ask if it maybe gets better, which everyone will tell you "yes" which is obvious from reading any posts in the thread. 

That might be a bit more constructive than "Binary Domain is garbage! I also hate 3rd person shooters btw!" *Jazz Hands*

5 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

but don't treat the game like it should be immune to criticism.

'I'm four hours into this and so far I think it's garbage. Then again, I think gears of war and the majority of cover-centric third person shooters are utterly tedious.'

You know, no matter how hard I look, there's not much actual criticism in there. He doesn't like it, that's fine. Every game's going to have people who don't like it. 

However, the unexpected thread resurrection is also a great time for everyone to remember what a great time they had with the game, so you can't blame them for suddenly having the best feeling ever coursing through their bodies.

What a fucking game. <3

Yeah, I suspect we might be a tad resentful because OMFG BD IS BACK ON THE FRONT PAGE IS IT A REMASTER oh no it's just a new player... and WTF kind of opinion is that!?

Those of us who loved it kinda knew it hid its light behind a well dodgy start - and it's not a polished AAA experience, but a gloriously messy, cult B movie of a game. With accents to suit.

But not everyone is gonna love it. Hard as that is to admit. But we do, and we just wish we could open your eyes to its awesomeness (which reminds me - I must play through it again to see if it does hold up, these days...).