Binary Domain

The Sarge

Why are you so upset?

"Then again, I think gears of war and the majority of cover-centric third person shooters are utterly tedious."

Means "maybe the reason I don't like this is because I don't like the genre."

I don't want someone to tell me "if it maybe gets better", I want someone to tell me what they like about it. Because people saying "this is good I like it" is kind of meaningless, and what  led me to buy the game in the first place.

(edit: post was directed at Kevvy metal. Did not quote as I thought my post would be directly underneath it)

1 hour ago, smac said:

Yeah, I suspect we might be a tad resentful because OMFG BD IS BACK ON THE FRONT PAGE IS IT A REMASTER oh no it's just a new player... and WTF kind of opinion is that!?

Those of us who loved it kinda knew it hid its light behind a well dodgy start - and it's not a polished AAA experience, but a gloriously messy, cult B movie of a game. With accents to suit.

But not everyone is gonna love it. Hard as that is to admit. But we do, and we just wish we could open your eyes to its awesomeness (which reminds me - I must play through it again to see if it does hold up, these days...).

And those people are wrong and we firmly ask them to leave.

1 hour ago, chris on the moon said:

Why are you so upset?

"Then again, I think gears of war and the majority of cover-centric third person shooters are utterly tedious."

I don't want someone to tell me "if it maybe gets better", I want someone to tell me what they like about it. Because people saying "this is good I like it" is kind of meaningless, and what  led me to buy the game in the first place.

(edit: post was directed at Kevvy metal. Did not quote as I thought my post would be directly underneath it)

Then maybe literally ask that question? That's not really anything like what most people would interpret from your initial post. 

1 hour ago, chris on the moon said:

Why are you so upset?

It has been a while since I played and enjoyed this, and I remember the following in non-chronological order

- slow start. The first few hours are difficult to sit through.

- very meaty combat. Destroying robots never felt and looked this satisfying.

- memorable characters and voice-acting. Cheesy in a good way.

- some difficulty spikes.

- silly yet believable story line. Cheesy in a good way.

The combat really shines when you know what to do. Shoot the robots in the legs to reduce them to a pile of scrap crawling around while you take out the rest of em with headshots.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2012 at 20:16, Down by Law said:

Just finished Survivor...No Mercy next. Bring it on.

I love this. Will be a proper cult classic....even though it deserves much more.

Nearly six years later and I still think this is 100% accurate.

Also quite amusing looking back to see this starred both Nadine (Laura Bailey) and Sam (Troy Baker) from Uncharted 4!

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/01/2018 at 12:12, Kayin Amoh said:

I guess the two main reasons are pretty standard answers as to why we think BD is basically the best thing ever.

First off, no other game makes bullet impacts feel as 'right' as Binary Domain. Maybe RE4 when you shotgun a bunch of zombies and blow them off their feet, but very few games come close. Dan's machine gun, appropriately powered up, is a hose of sparks and death. Normal enemies get shredded as you fire - and this isn't some euphemism to make it sound more impressive, bits and limbs get torn off them and they're literally reduced to scrap - at which point they react in weird and interesting ways. A boring old human adversary'd be stone dead, but if you popped these robot's heads off they'll start trying to kill their buddies. If they lost a leg, they'll crawl after you and try to grenade Dan into oblivion in some Ninja Gaiden 2 style suicide bomb.

It's a shame you can't level up the subweapons, because one of the shotguns minces everything. Like, utterly minces them. Bits everywhere. If this thing was in Doom, Ultra Nightmare would be finished in about two minutes flat.

Then there's the characters, cutscene and storylines. They're all great. I could spoil it, but I won't. Charles Gregory's hat has more charisma than the entire Gears of War cast, and if Cain walked onto the screen during Game of Thrones he'd be a media sensation - and if they killed him off as that series is wont to do, the studio they shot it in would be burned to the ground within the hour.

Then there's the combat sequences! Anyone who's played Yakuza 0 knows that this team knows how to direct action scenes. From evading upcoming or recently defeated bosses to trying to save team members from being chewed up by robots, they're all emotional rollercoasters where you HAVE TO SAVE YOUR BEST BUD FROM CERTAIN DEATH. I'm not saying that you need a shower after every one of these bits, but you probably do due to the heady mix of sweat and lip-quavering tension you just had. Or at least wring your shirt out into a nearby bucket.

Then, of course, there's the injustice of it all. This game went largely unrecognized while all kinds of inferior shooters sprung up around it and became at least semi popular. In any half rational world, we'd be on 'Binary Domain 53: Binary Deux Cain', where there's now TWO Cains running around delighting everyone they meet. We're not in a rational world though. We're in a world where Logan Paul isn't squatting naked in a cage out in the jungle being prodded by sticks for coppers.

And that, dear friends, is but the tiniest sliver of why Binary Domain's so damn great.

Fuck yeah, installing now! Not gonna play it now though as it's very late.

Just bought this again. Had a bit of a purge of PS3 games at the end of the last gen, where I sold a lot of games but in typical "me" fashion, I'm now busy buying most of them back. :lol: 

I remember this being an absolute belter of a game, with lots of fast paced action across a range of settings and set pieces. The fact that we'll never a see a sequel to this or most games of it's ilk is why I'm increasingly going back to the previous generation of consoles for my gaming kicks.

Playing this again on PC. Been years since I last did a complete playthrough, so much so that I wasn't aware of the weird Xbox One pad bug it's developed. You now need to unplug the controller and plug it back in once the game starts, or your controls are messed up.

You know that thing where you really like a thing, then you go back to that thing years later and it's aged worse than you have, with your horrible haggard face and sunken eyes? Not the case here. This game is the most action packed action blockbuster ever made, and gaming in its purest, most action packed form.

It is, as they say, packed full of action and action packed. I'm playing on No Mercy which seems to give enemies about ten times the health they usually have, so the Tsar Runner boss on the highway took about half an hour to kill. In most games this would be awful. Here, I found myself physically vibrating in a weird manner from all the built up tension as the truck was something like half a prayer away from being blown to bits as it limped triumphantly over the finish line.

And the dialogue's a delight, even after all these years. I'd forgotten how good most of it actually is, and being called 'Magnifique' after blowing two dudes in half with a shotgun is simply the most uplifting experience imaginable.

I'm now in the Amada building, and dear God. This is what I want out of gaming, now and forever. It's actually ludicrous how well paced it all is once it gets going, and the setpieces are some of the best in the business. 

If I had to say just one complaint about the whole thing - which I don't, but I will - it's that Dan's a but rubbery when getting assailed by rockets. He can be stunned and bounced around just a little too easily in some of the crazier sequences. And I don't give a damn, because this game is best.

First section is terribly slow and not representative of the the rest - although by its nature it's a little episodic; once played you can drop back into any section to re-do it, although without all of the gear you'd pick up on a normal run-through.

The correct answer was "French scrap-head"

Mouse controls are something else on this when you're controlling a turret. I'm currently trying to take down the gorilla for the second time and it takes about 6 full swipes on the mouse mat to turn 180 degrees. Did they also change the mechanic for defeating the gorilla from the first fight without telling you? That's brutal game design.

• 4 months later...
On 10/01/2018 at 22:33, smac said:

Garbage? Mais non, M'sieur.

It usually takes a while for the game's charms to click - but it might never do it for you. Note that the start of the game is the worst.

Oh, mos def! The demo didn't do it much justice either imo.

Just picked this up and started playing it. The start was really tedious, but after that giant spider robot fight, things do pick up. Looking forward to see what this one has in store. Been ages since I played a 3rd person cover shooter.

Grand game. And by the sounds of it you've already gone through the introduction slog.

With Yakuza doing so well and the team working on something as silly as a Fist of the Northstar game, a Binary Domain revival can't be far of right?

Timely bump as I played a couple of hours of this earlier on PC having hammered the PS3 version years ago. It's technically a bit shonky but runs like a dream once you're over all that.

Still brilliant fun.

Yeah, I prefer Binary Domain to Vanquish, but they are very different games - Binary Domain is the best third-person horde-shooter made, whereas Vanquish is the best shmup disguised as a third-person shooter made.

• 2 years later...