Binary Domain

The Sarge

Whilst I agree being able to upgrade secondary weapons would've been nice, I thoroughly encourage people to give the pump-action — not semi-auto — shotgun a try. It's a real beast up close; it chews up the late game Shinobi units.

I believe you can buy one from the store fairly early on. No enemies use it as far as I know, and I don't recall coming across any in the environment until the closing chapters. It's the same model as Rachael carries.

I believe you can buy one from the store fairly early on. No enemies use it as far as I know, and I don't recall coming across any in the environment until the closing chapters. It's the same model as Rachael carries.

Yeah you can and I agree with your statement, as a shotgun lover in videogames I highly recommend it. It tears those robots up quite nicely.

The one thing I also really liked about Binary Domain which I didn't mention before is that you can actually feel the upgrades as you make them. For example, i kept upgrading the rate of fire and you can really see the speed amp up whilst firing your machine, really tears the robots to pieces and is more satisfying for it.

I assume i'm nearing the end (just met old Amada) and i've loved every second of it so far. :wub:

I've not died yet on Normal, so i'm looking forward to getting stuck in on Hard once this playthrough is done.

And yes, while i would like to be able to upgrade the secondary weapons, the main machine gun is sooo satisfying, and as mentioned above; actually feels better the more you upgrade it. It's very rare that one weapon holds my attention for the entirety on these sorta games (the DLC pistol on Vanquish being the exception).

Just put an hour into this, and it seems like a cracking game. Solid combat, decent set pieces and technically polished... save for the weird, out of nowhere, commands I seem to randomly give out.

In many respects I think it's a shame that Sega's fire sale policy is now so well established. It seems to be getting a good critical response, but everyone is holding back until the inevitable price crash in two weeks. Can't blame people for looking to stretch their cash, but this really feels like it deserves a healthy number of full price sales.

Anyway, looking forward to carrying on with it.

It's a shame that Sega these days tends to have a 'whiff' about them more than likely due to the dodgy Sonic games they keep churning out even though they're slowly getting better.

With series like Total War, the Yakuza games, Binary Domain and as a publisher Bayonetta and Vanquish they've been doing pretty well these recent years in terms of game quality. Sure they've had a few dodgy games in their too but generally I like a lot of the things they're involved in. Pity they never really seem to see the sales to match but well, that's Sega marketing for you (as well as some of the games just not appealing to western gamers)

Why in the name of holy hell has Sega pushed this out with such a whimper? It's an outstanding shooter which comfortably sits next to the likes of Gears of War and Uncharted. Okay, it may have a little less polish, but damn it's such a blast to play.

The story seems to be getting several layers deeper than anything I'd anticipated, and I've just completed a set piece which Naughty Dog would have been proud to claim.

What I really like is the frequent shifts in play styles. They may well be the standard tropes of shooting, on rail shooting, bosses and the odd instance of driving, but mixed they keep the pace up and the gameplay varied.

Honestly, if Sega can't be bothered to put a bit of marketing muscle behind this, then I don't know what the point of them is. I appreciate it's been a different story in Japan, and it's heartening to know that it's seen respectable sales and exposure in at least one region, but with a reasonable bit of marketing, this could have gained traction as a major franchise.

It's so frustrating, as with this, Bayonetta, Vanquish and the Yakuza series, Sega have put out some of my favourite games this gen, and they deserve so much more than the comparatively meager sales Sega seemingly expects for them.

I'd like to see Sega kick it up a gear, and drop this bargain basement rep which they've fostered over the past few years. Their games deserve better.

Anyway, whilst it's still early on, I'm happy to call Binary Domain my game of the year so far, and I'd encourage anyone on the fence to hop on over to the side of blue skies and enjoy junking a ton load of angry robots.

As much as I enjoyed the game, the story was missing a second act. It's almost as if they thought the squad banter would suffice (despite an almost complete lack of character development), and it also explains why we get a massive, highly contrived exposition dump at the end from the big bad guy. I wasn't as down on the dialogue as some of the reviews seemed to be, and the facial animations were amongst the best I've seen (way better than stuff like Mass Effect, or even Assbro, which was a huge improvement on ACII).

Still, the story was always coherent and much better than stuff like Gears of War or Halo. At no point did I feel lost or confused by events, just somewhat disappointed with the pace and aforementioned shortcomings. Oh, and gameplay is excellent throughout. Headshots are so satisfying that I ended up getting carried away and trying to perform them on everything, including the red robots you're obviously supposed to shoot in the leg.

So yeah, worth picking up at some point, but far from essential.

As much as I enjoyed the game, the story was missing a second act. It's almost as if they thought the squad banter would suffice (despite an almost complete lack of character development), and it also explains why we get a massive, highly contrived exposition dump at the end from the big bad guy. I wasn't as down on the dialogue as some of the reviews seemed to be, and the facial animations were amongst the best I've seen (way better than stuff like Mass Effect, or even Assbro, which was a huge improvement on ACII).

Still, the story was always coherent and much better than stuff like Gears of War or Halo. At no point did I feel lost or confused by events, just somewhat disappointed with the pace and aforementioned shortcomings. Oh, and gameplay is excellent throughout. Headshots are so satisfying that I ended up getting carried away and trying to perform them on everything, including the red robots you're obviously supposed to shoot in the leg.

So yeah, worth picking up at some point, but far from essential.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the game is missing a 'second act' The story has a very satisfying beginning, middle and end with a few loose ends left at the end for a sequel. The Yakuza Team do tend to do the 'big exposition speech' near the end of their games but I can't say there's anything in the game that felt missing or anything that would have added to the story that they told. As for character development well I do agree to an extent but characters like Dan and Faye most certainly do go through arcs especially Dan. The way he starts off as a bit of an unlikeable smartass and then the way he changes and reacts to the events around him. I'm not going to say it's incredibly deep but it's more character development than a lot of other shooters. Also the dialogue between the characters does lead to some development and the way they change with the trust system. For example I was playing poorly/really tired the first night I played it and the characters notice that and go 'what's wrong with you Dan ?' and I then got berated for it. OK it's only a little thing but it was really cool and added to the characters for me.

As a big shooter fan I would actually say it IS essential for shooter fans. I don't mean that in a hyperbolic way at all but it's got a story which compared to other shooters makes you at least think a bit, likeable characters, an interesting if flawed trust system, fantastic setpieces up there with the best of shooters (and I'd even go as far as to say it has setpieces which are better than what we got in Gears 3 and Uncharted 3) and the most important thing of all - some of the most satisfying/combat shooting I've played in a shooter for a long while. It consistently introduces new enemies and new locations and as well as this it keeps that quality up for a playtime which is longer than a lot of other shooters.

The more I think about this game the more I love it, there's nothing really truly like it. Sure you could say from a purely superficial point of view that it is basically a shooter but the way it presents itself, the way it tells its story and the way it varies its setpieces is just excellent. It actually maddens me how Sega have just left it to die because they can't be fuckin arsed.

The more I think about this game the more I love it, there's nothing really truly like it. Sure you could say from a purely superficial point of view that it is basically a shooter but the way it presents itself, the way it tells its story and the way it varies its setpieces is just excellent. It actually maddens me how Sega have just left it to die because they can't be fuckin arsed.

Same as the Yakuza games. One of the most popular games in the whole of Japan and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's heard of it anywhere else. I think it's that these games make a big profit in their home territory and so there's barely any effort and cash put into marketing for other territories. A bit like the Japanese or French film industries, they make plenty of money at home, so any extra is just a bonus, but you're unlikely to be getting the latest French masterpiece in your local Vue anytime soon.

Same as the Yakuza games. One of the most popular games in the whole of Japan and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's heard of it anywhere else. I think it's that these games make a big profit in their home territory and so there's barely any effort and cash put into marketing for other territories. A bit like the Japanese or French film industries, they make plenty of money at home, so any extra is just a bonus, but you're unlikely to be getting the latest French masterpiece in your local Vue anytime soon.

The thing is Binary Domain did sell better in Japan compared to the west but even then it did nowhere near the numbers that a Yakuza game does on release over there. Oh well, even if we never get a sequel I'll always love this.

Plus we get Yakuza Dead Souls next week :hat:

• 2 weeks later...

It's just been announced that Binary Domain is coming to PC, expected in April. Absolutely fucking ace game and I can't highly recommend it enough. I felt guilty for renting it instead of buying it but I'll be picking up the PC version day 1. I wonder who's doing the porting, I hope it's the same team that ported Sonic Generations.

http://www.strategyi...the-pc-in-april

SEGA announced today that Binary Domain is in development for the PC and will be released in April 2012. After listening to fan feedback, SEGA decided that there was enough interest in a PC version to go ahead with development.

"As well as the excitement generated by Binary Domain in the console press we were seeing increasing numbers of players asking for a PC version. So we listened and we delivered." said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing at SEGA.

Binary Domain will be released on the PC platform in both boxed and digital formats. It has already been released for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I traded a shed load of stuff to get this a couple of weeks back but got pulled aside by ME3. However went back to it over the weekend and finished it. Overall a great game, yeah the characters suffer from Sega-itis in relation to over stereotyping, evidenced by the Japanese characters coming off better than the western ones, and okay the gameplay gets slightly repetitive, but the variety of the environments and the soundtrack are amazing. It's well worth the money IMO.

I felt guilty for renting it instead of buying it but I'll be picking up the PC version day 1.

Wat. And you dared calling me a slag for not buying it immediately in the Yakuza thread :lol: Great news about the PC version though, I think I'll wait for that to appear :)

Wat. And you dared calling me a slag for not buying it immediately in the Yakuza thread :lol: Great news about the PC version though, I think I'll wait for that to appear :)

Hey what can I say, I'm a hypocrite AND an asshole :P I never ordered you to buy it though, just to play it ;)

Why is GiantBomb's ridiculous quick look not posted in here? :blah:

Somehow it was posted in the Yakuza thread instead. But yeah, it's pretty damn funny :lol:

Hey what can I say, I'm a hypocrite AND an asshole :P I never ordered you to buy it though, just to play it ;)

Semantics! Anyway, you'll be glad to know it's now on my Steam wishlist and I'm very happy to see it has Steamworks - and controller support can be safely assumed I think.

When will we get to see the required spec?

They haven't announced anything spec wise but I don't think you'll have much trouble running it. You're a Q6600 quad core and 4850 right ? Just a guess on my part but that should run it fine.

Got this earlier than planned because £22 (Grainger Games, preowned) was too good to pass up when I had a free evening.

I love how varied it is, and how the characters, despite them being a bit overblown, all have charm. The game it reminds me of the most is Final Fantasy 7, strangely. Big Bo is Barrett, obviously, the girls are Tifa and Aeris, the British guy is Cid... I just realised this is probably the geekiest thing I've ever written. Anyway it's so much less po-faced than 95% of similar shooters. Even Vanquish suffered from taking itself too seriously.

Anyway, yeah. You never know what's coming next and it mixes things up excellently. It's not as accomplished as Resi 4 but it studied at its 'keeping the player interested' school.

It seems to be a bit too easy most of the time. Hard feels like normal. Only the bosses really challenge. The game can be a bit frustrating when you're surrounded and your team-mates do nothing to help.

Anyway I'm off to have a cry for comparing this game to Final Fantasy 7.

This gets much better once you hook up with the whole team rather than just funneling along with Bo on a protracted tutorial.I was surprised that it suddenly went into the opening after I'd been playing for an hour! Anyone that didn't enjoy the tutorial, get over it and put in at least a couple of hours before writing it off.

Early fears of terrible voice-acting have been mostly eradicated by the Japanese speaking in Japanese and the rest of the cast having decent regional accents. It's like the United Nations of shooters. Definitely getting a Yakuza vibe from the story bits and the dialogue has plenty of self-deprecating asides.

Weird that the settings (so far) don't reflect the places that they are. Shibuya? Looks like level R35-A pulled off of someones C: drive. Still, the details are nice and Iove the robot and character designs. Particularly odd as the Yakuza team use that game as a showcase for parts of the country.

Much more of a tactical shooter than most cover-based efforts in the way you have to tackle situations differently. I'd rather have seen a more comprehensive command system to give orders than the voice-recognition stuff which I'll never use though. Something between Rainbow Six and Mass Effect would be good. The buddy-system thing seems pretty incidental, although I enjoy telling Bo to get fucked whilst ruining my chances with Faye with my cumbersome come-ons.

I've gone straight in at the hardest level after reading it was a bit easy. It's not frustrating, but really makes you think about your actions. Also like the way you can crawl about in a last ditch effort when dying to still seek out med-packs/help team-mates and shoot at robots while the screen slowly bleaches out.

Lots of great ideas that have huge potential for the future. Looking at how much the Yakuza games have gone from strength to strength I look forward to much more of this.