Binary Domain

The Sarge

Yeah, meeting the rest of the team is pretty much the "start" of the game proper. The stuff beforehand is mostly all introductory/tutorial.

The first act, with just you and Big Bo, is utter shite. Big Bo being a particularly hateful character. The early game is just a prolonged tutorial, which consist of Big Bo slow-talking bro clichés at you (and disabling the run button).

I was ready to bin the game and move on, but stuck with it. It certainly picks up a lot from the second Act onwards, once your team expands and you move into Tokyo properly. It's still a poor man's Vanquish / Gears, but I am having fun now.

Big Bro settles down a lot as the game goes on. Compared to the first 30mins - 1hr where it's consistently 'Aight Bro' it stops being like that after a while to such a bad extent. Still very much a stereotype but I thought he become a lot more likeable as the game went on (just like Dan) As for the first chapter, well I can't say it stood out as particularly bad to me anyway, still had a nice bit of variety even for a tutorial section.

As for a being a poor mans Gears... I disagree. Tbh I'd rather have another Binary Domain than another Gears... but then I really didn't like Gears 3 that much so that's probably just me. Binary Domain felt like a great, refreshing change to me and an unexpected one at that after being so disappointed with the big shooters in recent months.

I haven't had Bo back in my team since being able to choose who I fight with, and as long as he doesn't get forced back on my, will continue in that vein until the end.

Poor man's Gears is probably too harsh - I'm hardly a big fan of the GoW games as they're equally flawed. But compared to Vanquish, well, that's really where BD comes unstuck.

Vanquish was great, but Binary Domain compares favourably to it as far as I'm concerned. A story and some awesome, you're actually in control setpieces does wonders for your game. Out of the two, I probably have fonder memories of Binary.

Cain's also the best thing there is. Ever.

Another vote for how much fun this is. Onto chapter 2 and it's such fun - shooting heads and legs off, the way they keep crawling at you is both great and creepy.

I shot the head off one robot who then turned on his mates and shot the head off another one who then turned on the first one - they then shot each other simultaneously an exploded.

Plus it doesn't take itself seriously - after Mass Effect 3 that's extremely welcome.

It's what videotapes used to be like before they got all bloaty and wanting to be like films.

The multiplayer is oddly more-ish too - I get a distinct Operation Winback vibe from it!

Up to chapter 5 now. This game is absolutely brilliant. Whoever recommended using the SPAS 12 knockoff was totally right, wasting scrap heads with that bad boy will never get old. The story is brilliantly told, it's worth playing through just for the cut scenes. There is a bit of 'boss overkill' but most of them are so good, it doesn't really matter. Soundtrack is top banana and the weapons all sound totally badass.

Sure the animation's can be utterly bonkers at times (characters + stairs = DOES NOT COMPUTE) but overall this is a brilliant fun game, reminds me of something the old SEGA would make, the plotline is almost like it came an old Shinobi game on the megadrive. It wears it's influences on it's sleeve and is all the better for it. Also, genuine lol moments in the script.

Personally i'd much rather play through this again than any of the Gears of War series.

SEGA Y U SEND GAME TO DIE AT RETAIL??? :(

I already thought this game was absolutely brilliant but then I got to the bit where

the team mate has to shit and you defend the area

and now it's legendary.

Really hope this does enough business to get a sequel. Held off doing the last bit as I don't want it to end yet!

I'm playing this in bite sized chunks, due to limited gaming time. But my feelings towards it have grown with each play session. The first act was terrible, both for being a drudging tutorial, but also due to your main gun being an inaccurate piece of shit. Once your gun is upgraded enough to allow precision shooing, it really become fun. Popping metal heads is joyous.