Binary Domain

The Sarge

If you’re reading this thread and you still haven’t been convinced to buy this then I’ll just add another recommendation. About 5 hours in and it’s probably the best balls-out fun time I’ve had since Bulletstorm.

I actually think this is more fun than any Gears title, which has to be its nearest comparison. GOW has more bombastic combat and is certainly a lot prettier but for me it was always missing the all important upgrading system for weapons and armour and that is what is giving this the edge, along with some VERY satisfying combat. The way the robots disintegrate into metal and sparks is just awesome and the AI seems pretty impressive. There is no consistent enemy behaviour and its all the better for it, with some charging at you, some flanking you and I swear getting my sniper rifle out makes some of them dive for cover.

The boss fights (so far ) are also among the least annoying I can remember. Lengthy, tactical combat with huge great fucking robotic things of varying shapes and sizes that feel tense rather than laborious. Agree with playing this on hard as well. It’s challenging but as with all cover-based regenerating health games these days it’s just a matter of patience and knowing when to strike.

Lastly, whoever said it was the perfect antidote to post-Mass Effect fatigue was spot-on. I adored that game too but man, it was serious.

This could certainly benefit from some more interaction with npc's and side-stories. The action's fun, not the best shooter in the world, but fun and the characters, story and locations are typically Yakuza-lite. Just a shame you don't get to explore a bit more. Don;t need Yakuza levels of item management, but there's bags of room for more non-shooty interaction to ramp-up the already decent atmosphere.

Binary Domain 2 please.

Made a start on this myself last night (mainly just to let off some steam after a frustating day at work).. havent even finished the first chapter yet but it already feels much MUCH more enjoyable than Gears 3.

The combat is just fantastic.. tactical.. and meaty! Methodically blowing enemies apart limb by limb is just never going to get old!

The hype generated by this thread seems entirely justified so far.. plus for £19.99 it feels quite the bargain!

Yeah, I paid £18 earlier this week after having it out on rental and feeling guilty to the depths of my very soul that I hadn't actually bought it.

For under £15 I'm bloody tempted to buy it again. I don't need it, but it's a bargain regardless.

It manages do the almost impossible of being really silly but also really exciting. Finished it last night and one of the best £20 I've spent.

Didn't realise that cutscenes can actually vary depending on your relationships with the other characters.

Put this one to make a little more progress, ended up playing for 5 hours till the end. What a great, great game. Good, well-told story with interesting themes without getting bogged down in its own self-importance, fun characters (helped by the excellent face animation), really great boss fights*, fun gameplay, loads and loads of varied and great looking enemy types, nice oppressive future tokyo aesthetic, technically pretty impressive too. A shame that (like most good Sega games in recent years) it almost certainly won't get a sequel.

Slowly peeling off the armour from that transformer thing was superb.

Said to a guy at work yesterday who is pretty clued up about games that I was playing this and he just thought I was mad and that it looked shit.

I too then went on to Metacritic to get some reviews to show him and was amazed at the amount of glowing reviews. It's really weird the way this has been represented, everyone loves it and yet no fucker bought it. The diabolical cover didnt help.

Anyway, think I convinced him that it's worth a look.

Said to a guy at work yesterday who is pretty clued up about games that I was playing this and he just thought I was mad and that it looked shit.

This is exactly the same as happened to the Dreamcast! I spoke to friends who were gamers about how brilliant it was and yet they insisted it was 'shit', despite having never played it. When I'd pull out stuff like Virtua Tennis and Jet Set Radio their jaws would hit the floor! And yet even so the brand identity remained. 'Sega are shit, Microsoft and Sony are the only players in town'. Now that mad virus which convinces gamers that great things are shit has infected Sega's excellent gaming output!

Just finished Level 3 of Binary Domain and it's gone from 'not the best shooter in the world, but good' to 'This is epic!' Do yourselves a favour and stick it on Hard, later levels have Ninja Gaiden levels of insanity. Script continues to be charming.

If ever a game went from strength to strength the longer you played it, this is it.

Only on chapter one, but how superb is this game. The weapons and gunplay feel spot on weighty as fuck. Love it so far.

Yep I'm not much further myself and already in love with it.

It's also the perfect example of how to handle AI partners. Gears take note!

Binary Domain takes a massive dump all over Gears 3. I couldn't wait to finish that noise, whereas Binary had me wanting more and more.

Good length for a SP campaign in this day and age as well.

I bought a new copy from Shopto for £15 - Sega deserve the sale.

Well that's annoying. Completed all of c1. Switched it off for 5mins. Load it back up and it hadn't saved my progress. Had to start from the beginning again. PS3 version anyone else encountered the same? Or did I do something wrong coz there's no manual save option I can see?

I havent played BS. I saw it for 2 quids and I didnt get it because it looked silly, not in a charming way.

You're missing out. Look beyond the macho posturing (which is, at least, played for cheap laughs) and you have the most fun, arcadey FPS of this generation. And, just like Binary Domain, it's been cruelly overlooked by both critics and the public.

Yep, this is the problem. Brilliance waggling their collective penises in the eyes of buyers, and them being lured away by scum and filth and hype. Or something.

Something's far, far wrong when someone doesn't buy the exceptional Bulletstorm for two quid, or Binary Domain barely makes a dent in the sales charts despite being way more interesting than Gears.

I mean what do we have to do? Slice the message into our flesh with a stanley knife and run naked into daytime television studios while the cameras are rolling? Kidnap celebrities and force them to tell everyone how great these underlooked games are, with hesitation rewarded by kidney punches?

SERIOUSLY, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO?

Ok I got this from Shopto for £15 and after a few hours was left feeling like that should have been its original price point. Its an OK game but its pretty rough round the edges. The combat feels decent but the terrible animations really let down the feeling of impact and weight.

Lots of people seem to be comparing it to GOW3 but for me its not even close to being as good. For £15 you cant really complain but at full price i'd have been disappointed. The Darkness 2 still gets my vote as best recent game that barely anyone played.

Nagoshi's fingerprints are all over it. Like the Yakuza games it starts out dreadfully slow - it's one of the worst openings to a game I've ever seen, so dull and grey and lifeless. Then it just gets better and better and the ending goes on for about five times as long as you expected it to. For a while you wonder if it's the gift that keeps giving or is just outstaying its welcome, then the credits roll and you mull it over for a bit and realise it's the latter. Really enjoyed it.