IGNORED

Is Nintendo losing its magic??

yakumo

Mario & Luigi... Wario Ware...

Hmmm, maybe that's the thing.

Mario & Luigi and Wario Ware both came out of nowhere, both took next to no time to develop, use simple concepts and are hugely entertaining.

If you want to be really anal, Wario Ware (made by Tresure Inc.) was years in the making. Years to get together all those sub game ideas (maybe?). Years for such games to exist to pull little chunks from (the mini-Nintendo games). And, the game's premise is based upon quick bursts of what we've been playing all our lives.

Wario Ware: geeeenius.

Actually it was Wario World made by Treasure. I think Wario Ware was developed internally at Nintendo.

Out of interest how do you know how long both these games took to develop?

OK Mario and Luigi wasn't publicised until recently, but it could have been in development for years for all we know.

Common bloody sense, mate.

What? Because something looks simple it means it didn't have months/years of hard work poured into it? Knowing something of working on large software projects (if not games) I can tell you that such simple perfection does not necessarily mean short development cycles.

Nintendo aren't losing it, your all just getting older....

Nintendo IS for kids then?

You know what - it does kind of boil down to that. All the moaning on this board about Nintendo: X game is not as good as theh N64 version, Y GBA game is just a port of Y game on the SNES. My girlfriend's 9 year old nephew doesn't give a shit about that stuff, because to him the games seem excellent, especially the SNES ports because the original games came out before he was born sometimes.

A more jaded gamer could claim that all the old companies are losing some of their magic...

But there'll always be those few games a year, be it 10 or less that just have you going "fuck this is amazing" and that's all I give a shit about.

P.S. I loved Super Mario Sunshine, Windwaker and F-Zero!

Until the weekend I thought Nintendo were (outside the handheld market) a bit toss. Monkeyball was the only thing that I wanted a cube for (and that was a Sega product rather than a Nintendo one). Anyway U got my hands on Mario Kart and I think the magic (for me) is still there. It's just not as in as much abundance as with prior consoles (again for me).

However, I have just spent 2 hours swearing at Bowser (the shell chucking bastard) so I guess that can't be a bad thing.

I've found my 'cube can be easily likened to the stereotype of a psychopath - superficially charming yet utterly cold, cynical and soulless at heart. I imported one yet, a couple of games aside, it's proven a monumental waste of space to me.

Barring a much-needed shot of inspiration, Donkey Konga is probably going to be the last thing I'll buy for it.

No, but when your 10 its going to be much easier for a game to blow you away and leave a serious impression on you.

When your 20 or 30 a game of the same quality just isn't going to have the same impact.

My opinion is that Nintendo are just as good today as they always have been, but they also exactly the same as they always have been.

I think they need to re-invent themselves like Capcom seem to be doing at the moment with their onslaught of fresh, new gaming experiences.

Sega too, during the DC era took a more different, more massmarket approach, and their output was fantastic.

You know what - it does kind of boil down to that. All the moaning on this board about Nintendo: X game is not as good as theh N64 version, Y GBA game is just a port of Y game on the SNES. My girlfriend's 9 year old nephew doesn't give a shit about that stuff, because to him the games seem excellent, especially the SNES ports because the original games came out before he was born sometimes.

That's still no excuse to bundle most of them as exactly the same game on the SNES and charge £35 a pop.

That's still no excuse to bundle most of them as exactly the same game on the SNES and charge £35 a pop.

Maybe not, but they're still utter Nintendo gold regardless of price. I mean, there's always emulators and flash carts. :D

Why not if it makes them money? They're a business afterall. Plus my point is a huge amount of the GBA audience is kids who have never played on a SNES before, so these games are new to them. I know it's hard to admit, but being a 20 something GBA gamer is something of an oddity in the market.

I still am amazed at 35 quid a game however - living in the US where I pay $30 for a GBA game, $50 (basically) is ridiculous.

Why not if it makes them money? They're a business afterall. Plus my point is a huge amount of the GBA audience is kids who have never played on a SNES before, so these games are new to them. I know it's hard to admit, but being a 20 something GBA gamer is something of an oddity in the market.

I still am amazed at 35 quid a game however - living in the US where I pay $30 for a GBA game, $50 (basically) is ridiculous.

You're looking in the wrong place if GBA games are £35. For one, Nintendo set a bar of £30 maximum. And another, there's plenty of shops that sell them cheaper. Amazon for one, sell GBA games for £25 including delivery. So do Grainger Games in the Metro Centre, so I'm guessing most indie shops do as well.

I've found my 'cube can be easily likened to the stereotype of a psychopath - superficially charming yet utterly cold, cynical and soulless at heart. I imported one yet, a couple of games aside, it's proven a monumental waste of space to me.

Barring a much-needed shot of inspiration, Donkey Konga is probably going to be the last thing I'll buy for it.

The trick is, see, to play games on it.

I would expound on this theory further, but I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of someone dismissing the forthcoming releases on a console apart from Donkey Konga.

But I did, honey. And they mostly bored the hell out of me.

As for dismissing the future releases, well they haven't announced anything else exclusively that I'm interested in. Zip, nada, zilch, ziparoonio, nil. Combining the current schedule with what's come so far and I see little reason to bother with it further. Sure, if something earth-shatteringly great comes along, I might change my mind but everyone said Metroid Prime pretty much was and I didn't find it anything special.

Why do you care so much, anyway? If you're happy with it and there's a steady stream of games for it, there's no problem, is there? One less customer is hardly going to kill it.

As for dismissing the future releases, well they haven't announced anything else exclusively that I'm interested in. Zip, nada, zilch, ziparoonio, nil. Combining the current schedule with what's come so far and I see little reason to bother with it further. Sure, if something earth-shatteringly great comes along, I might change my mind but everyone said Metroid Prime pretty much was and I didn't find it anything special.

Why do you care so much, anyway? If you're happy with it and there's a steady stream of games for it, there's no problem, is there? One less customer is hardly going to kill it.

Confirming your theory of us being polar opposites. My Cube(s) is(are) my most played console(s). I have a Jap and a Uk one.

I don't own a PS2 - more cos the hardware is so badly built than anything else.

I have an Xbox but I haven't taken to a single Xbox game. PoP is wonderful though but I need a bit more time to play that one.

Confirming your theory of us being polar opposites. My Cube(s) is(are) my most played console(s). I have a Jap and a Uk one.

I'm with Pickford on this one. I own a PS2, but my Gamecube is still my most played console (although ATM Mario and Luigi means it's mainly GBP stuff). I can't remember the last time I turned on my PS2. I can my DC and N64 however. For PS2 I am considering getting SSX3 but other than that I can't think of one more game I'll buy for it (perhaps MGS3 when it comes out?).

Hmm... if you owned a NES or a SNES, did you only buy Nintendo games for it?

Anyway, if you didn't like Metroid Prime you're probably better off with a PS2 anyway. ;)

My most played console is the Xbox, mainly because of Live. Closely followed by the PS2 and the Cube is lucky to get 15 minutes a week. Lately Viewtiful Joe has rekindled my love for the little square bugger, but before and after Metroid Prime there hasn't been much to entertain me.

Thank God for the GameBoy Advance SP. The finest piece of portable pleasure ever conceived. It's in my pocket or bag all the time, and I literally take it everywhere with me. Even the potty-breaks on the job wouldn't be same without it ;)

Confirming your theory of us being polar opposites.  My Cube(s) is(are) my most played console(s).    I have a Jap and a Uk one.

I have an Xbox but I haven't taken to a single Xbox game.  PoP is wonderful though but I need a bit more time to play that one.

Ha, the PS2 from day one of release seemed rubbish to me - overpriced, not keen on the pad with the worst sticks in the world...ever!, it didn't seem anywhere near as powerful as it should, and, most importantly of all, uninspired averageware as far as the eye could see. I don't think I got one until Feb '02.

But, sure enough, it's actually my most played console. It gets a bad rap, and I can kinda see why, but excavate below the shit on the surface and it's a veritable goldmine down there.

Maybe I'll give them a miss until Miyamoto Jr starts work in 2025 and gets working on a fully immersive VR Matrix gubbin or something. Running around a 'real' Mushroom Kingdom might be the ticket, though it may be easier to just do some drugs instead...

dunno what you mean by that really. ok, so it's not the best technically i suppose though i was amazed when i saw Prince of Persia, for example. but it's not really about hardware is it? i remember playing Ico and i was constantly reminded of the magic i used to get from playing Nintendo games.

The game play in MK: DD is great but things like the award ceremony let it down. It’s been done as an afterthought and looks rubbish. The same sequence over and over again. Surely they could’ve done different endings etc for the character pairs. It just looks very lazy when you compare it to other “less reputable” software houses output. This generation various studios have upped the production value bar and I think Nintendo is falling behind.

*puts on platemail armour and waits* ;)

dunno what you mean by that really. ok, so it's not the best technically i suppose though i was amazed when i saw Prince of Persia, for example. but it's not really about hardware is it? i remember playing Ico and i was constantly reminded of the magic i used to get from playing Nintendo games.

I mean the hardware is badly built. They keep breaking. I'm not paying for something like that.