IGNORED

Games that provoked the old excitement

Lovelyman

I'll pick Super Monkey Ball and Halo as the two games which have defined this generation for me and brought a big cheesy grin to my face, although there has been a splurge of top quality software played on my GameCube this year, including my first 3D Mario and Zelda games the lovely Metroid Prime and etc. etc...

The first time you play Halo co-op, or master the more tricky shortcuts and routes in SMB is just magical.

I hope you meant "I still didn't get Ico"... cause Ico is one of the gaming pinnacles of the last 2 years...

I keep going back to borrowing a friend's copy and trying to get into it, but it just doesn't grab me. That's what I mean by "don't". All I see is a substandard platformer/puzzle game with grainy graphics and a clunky combat system. It'd be a lot better if Yorda could actually do anything on her own. All she does is present herself as a target.

I'd have to say Operation Flashpoint on the PC. Despite the bugs it had some genuine adrenalin filled moments of pure terror. Usually when you're the last surviving member of the squad and you're sneaking through enemy territory.

Apart from that..Halo comes a close second.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Super Mario Sunshine

Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime

Zelda: WW

Halo

KOTOR

PES's

GTA 3 [i bought this before I bought a PS2!!]

All I see is a substandard platformer/puzzle game with grainy graphics and a clunky combat system. It'd be a lot better if Yorda could actually do anything on her own. All she does is present herself as a target.

Sadly, I have to agree. Though I do own it I can't see the 'magic' everyone keeps raving about. I don't dislike it, it's just not too enjoyable either.

PSO was always going to be a defining moment. Zelda:WW. Playing that was like a trip back to Ocarina (after the mild dissapointment (for me at least) of Majora's Mask). Apart from that none spring to mind.

for me it's finding my self practicing at perfecting a expert monkey ball track, I played the same track for 2 hours without perfection though I was near, and I still enjoyed it. I gave up because it was bedtime not because I was bored, I was enthrilled :) ....

apart from glorious monkeh ball, it has to be metroid prime. I was totaly grabbed by the goolies.. the game had a tight grip.

Well, MK:DD is certainly giving me a huge beaming grin at the minute, as is most of Nintendo's output, but although I have become a more jaded and cynical person toward videogames, gamers really haven't had it so good. Well, you know what I mean, it's just that I'm suffering from sleep deprivation. Got to clear those last few cups on mirror mode......

Got that with Rainbow Six 3 ... sneaking around corridors, hoping no-one will see you, and then running away from a grenade. Then you move around a corner, see a gun pointed at you, pull the trigger in a reflex and realise you just shoot your teammate.

Co-op is the coolest thing since competition :)

Ico gave me this 'I can't watch anymore or I'll squirt myself' feeling, as did Devil May Cry and Halo. Manhunt gave me the willies so much once, I had to stop and go to the bathroom to flex my bowels ;)

Halo - the beauty of the balance.

MGS2 - took some truly gutsy design decisions and still head and shoulders above any game for cinematic presentation (I like cut scenes).

SFAlpha3 - GBA - how did Crawfish fit this onto a cartridge? Damn the monkeys that ran them into the ground.

Shenmue 2 - like the other games in this list (aside from Alpha3), it's got it's flaws but Holy Jesus, there's so much to like that I did three 9am gaming sessions in a row.

Super Smash TV on ROM - never had a SNES. Truly old school genius.

Viewtiful Joe, and Wario Ware - Both stood out so much from other games released at the time, like they are straight out of the early 90s or something.

Luigi's Mansion - Has that ol' Nintendo charm written all over it. Perfect in every little way, with such attention to detail. Perfect legnth too, IMO.

Oh, and F-Zero GX. - My jaw hit the floor when I played it for the first time. So beautiful. So much detail. So fast yet so smooth. How do you do it Nagoshi-san?

I don't think I've ever experienced a loss of the "magic" that people profess to experiencing playing games as a kid. I have experienced a loss in time to actually sit down and play them though.

Maybe part of it is that we all read Edge and have the really bad games pointed out to us? Is it that games are worse or we just know that bad games exist?

Anywho.

Games in recent memory...

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Gets better and better as you play it. True classic.

There were parts of Wind Waker that reminded me of the time spent playing Ocarina, but mostly it just wasnt as good as the N64 classic. As Edge said, merely brilliant :) .

Metroid Fusion made me all nostalgic for 2d platformers.

The past couple of years have been terrific for games, which is handy as they were in an almighty trough for a while there. I was absolutely blown away by Metroid Prime, one of the best games I have ever played. And I really really liked all the usual suspects everyone's mentioned (Ico, Rez, Prince of Persia, Halo, Monkey Ball, et al).

And Samba De Amigo. Sweet jesus that game was good. But the maracas haven't been built that can take that level of abuse for long. :D

• 3 years later...

My benchmark is going to be games that I've actually really looked forward to playing when coming home from uni/work, so in recent years:

Streetfighter II Anniversary

Dodonpachi

Guitar Heros

Grand Theft Autos

And quite a few snes, n64, mame roms

Metal Arms - GITS (ace acronym)

Playing the OXM demo gave me faith that games can still be full of character, soul, and most importantly - fun. I think that element is missing from many titles nowadays, in favour of "look how many polygons we can chuck on screen!".

Need to buy the game, if I had time to play it. Bah.

Ha! Hope you did get it eventually...one of the best games I've ever played.

Bioshock has really rekindled my excitement for gaming. It's the first game, ever, where I cared in the slightest about the story.

Rainbow Six: Vegas...I might take this as my "you can only bring one game to a desert island" game.