IGNORED

Most Overrated game of the year award...

squirtle

Yep. Absolutely.

Glowing review after glowing review hyped this game to the high heavens. People on this board and on NTSC-uk said it was just the best thing ever. Well, now it's out of my house and traded away and thank the lord for that.

I tried to like it, to get on with it. I was about 18 hours in and, lord, it was just so dull. So monotonous. I don't mind games taking a little while to pick up but 18 hours and I was still bored of it. Oooo, the sith! Oooo, Darth Malak or whatever the fuck he was called. Ooooo, learn to be a jedi. Ooooo, broken combat that felt so wooden and awful and downright arse. Ooooo, glitchy ugly graphics that would have made the DC blush. Ooooo, it's the same character model again (that bit where you find the book and give it to the guy in the underworld on the first planet and they all bugger off to find the promised land... My lord! It's three identical sets of triplets off for a walk!) and again and again...

Just plainly dull and boring and so uninvolving. Run from the point to this point. Chat to him, move along, no sense of anything at all to get a hold of.

So, good riddance to it. I hope Jade Empire is better. And to think it fooled so many people into liking it. The mind, quite clearly, is boggled to fuck.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Yep. Absolutely.

Glowing review after glowing review hyped this game to the high heavens. People on this board and on NTSC-uk said it was just the best thing ever. Well, now it's out of my house and traded away and thank the lord for that.

I tried to like it, to get on with it. I was about 18 hours in and, lord, it was just so dull. So monotonous. I don't mind games taking a little while to pick up but 18 hours and I was still bored of it. Oooo, the sith! Oooo, Darth Malak or whatever the fuck he was called. Ooooo, learn to be a jedi. Ooooo, broken combat that felt so wooden and awful and downright arse. Ooooo, glitchy ugly graphics that would have made the DC blush. Ooooo, it's the same character model again (that bit where you find the book and give it to the guy in the underworld on the first planet and they all bugger off to find the promised land... My lord! It's three identical sets of triplets off for a walk!) and again and again...

Just plainly dull and boring and so uninvolving. Run from the point to this point. Chat to him, move along, no sense of anything at all to get a hold of.

So, good riddance to it. I hope Jade Empire is better. And to think it fooled so many people into liking it. The mind, quite clearly, is boggled to fuck.

You could say the same about Everquest :D

Yep. Absolutely.

You could say the same about Everquest :D

Never played it, but yeah, I probably would.

Strange though, how I absolutely adore the Shenmue games which are similar in structure but just so much better.

I heard that mass amounts of the game were taken back to various video game outlets, probably because of the nothingness left after finishing it.

I can't say anything about it because I've never played it. Mind you, I thought Neverwinter Nights was utter shat. Is that game similar at all?

I heard that mass amounts of the game were taken back to various video game outlets, probably because of the nothingness left after finishing it.

I can't say anything about it because I've never played it. Mind you, I thought Neverwinter Nights was utter shat. Is that game similar at all?

Similar story structure and play mechanic yeah.

In my opinion; game of the year. Totally immersive gameworld, great dialogue, good story and decent combat mechanics

Hey, I know it's all opinion but I would disgree on ALL counts.

Not remotely immersive game world, I could never forget I was playing a PC game on a console. The story was unconvincing and many of the themes and sub-plots reminded me of Star Trek (pathetic racism metaphors etc.)

The combat system was over complex and confusing. I never really got the hang of it.

Mario & Luigi is 10 times the RPG.

I did really enjoy it, though my enthusiasm for it peaked about midway through the story. I never played it through a second time, because my XBox is currently on loan. I'm sure at some point in the future it will get another play as a fully Dark Side character.

Definitely a lot of it's appeal comes down to the Star Wars setting, and just wielding a lightsaber kind of makes up for some of the deficiencies. I would have infinitely preferred it to be set in the 'classic' Star Wars era, though. With a plot intertwining with that of the original film trilogy.

The combat does it for me, instant switch off mode.

Aye, that was a main problem for me. I never felt like I had any control over what was going on. I would pause the game, set everything up and then watch them do nothing that I had told them to do. Or watch one of my buffoons throw a grenade right next to my character melee fighting with a light saber, killing her in the process.

Reminds me of the Grolsch adverts. Schtop! Schtop! This game isn't ready!

What game have been massively hyped this year? Aside from KOTOR (which, I've never played - turn based combazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

I'd say Tomb Raider, but that got a bit of a kicking in the end, even by spineless reviewers.

I can't recall a game released this year that was hailed as the second coming which turned out to be a damp squid.

I did really enjoy it, though my enthusiasm for it peaked about midway through the story. I never played it through a second time, because my XBox is currently on loan. I'm sure at some point in the future it will get another play as a fully Dark Side character.

Definitely a lot of it's appeal comes down to the Star Wars setting, and just wielding a lightsaber kind of makes up for some of the deficiencies. I would have infinitely preferred it to be set in the 'classic' Star Wars era, though. With a plot intertwining with that of the original film trilogy.

I like Star Wars but give me Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike over this mess any time.

What game have been massively hyped this year? Aside from KOTOR (which, I've never played - turn based combazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

I'd say Tomb Raider, but that got a bit of a kicking in the end, even by spineless reviewers.

I can't recall a game released this year that was hailed as the second coming which turned out to be a damp squid.

Enter the Matrix...?

That would be a "damp squib" BTW. How about Enter the Matrix? Hugely hyped by the developers and the movie studios. Given pretty good reviews, even suggesting that it might be a decent game - but it's utter crap.

That would be a "damp squib" BTW. How about Enter the Matrix? Hugely hyped by the developers and the movie studios. Given pretty good reviews, even suggesting that it might be a decent game - but it's utter crap.

No, damp SQUID in my brain.

Did Enter the Matrix get positive reviews then? Lawks. I mean, why? It's not like the magazine's readers would have been pissed about it getting a low score is it?

Surely it could only damage a magazines reputation if they are recommending shitty games?

Did Enter the Matrix get positive reviews then? Lawks. I mean, why? It's not like the magazine's readers would have been pissed about it getting a low score is it?

Surely it could only damage a magazines reputation if they are recommending shitty games?

Only Edge, and possibly GamesTM gave it a dodgy score. It was an average of about 8 everywhere else...

Oi, I see what's going on here.

For me it was the best game of 2003, I've clocked over 100 hours on it, completed it once and currently got 2 game files on the go as I do through the dark side and through the light. Utterly absorbing and generaly great.

The combat is broken but it's not unplayable and this game isn't about combat anyway. It's based on a turn-based system, anybody coming into this expecting a beat'em up is going to be dissapointed.

The story is great, good twists and the ability to make the story rather than just follow through a linear path.

Graphics range from the apalling to the sublime. Sound is good too, and let's not forget that there is speach for ALL dialogue, with decent voice acting.

If all the reviewrs raved about it yet all the foumites thought it was shit then yes, I would say it was overrated. The truth is that the vast majority of players really liked it so therefore it's not overrated but rather underrated by those who didn't like it.

I guess most squids are damp, apart from the dried ones you seen in Chinese markets. :D

Gamerankings.com have it as a 72% average game on the Xbox. That ranks it as "pretty good" in my mind. Of course it was terrible. As for everyone knowing it would be the next ET, didn't everyone know in their heads that Tomb Raider was going to be crap as well?

Lots of people keep their bad games. Kinda silly, but they do. and then trade them in a year or so later and whine that the tradein value is £4

what pisses me off is not what the game are wort when trading them in, but how much they sell them for after they give you the few measly pennies for your game.

I guess most squids are damp, apart from the dried ones you seen in Chinese markets. :D

Gamerankings.com have it as a 72% average game on the Xbox. That ranks it as "pretty good" in my mind. Of course it was terrible. As for everyone knowing it would be the next ET, didn't everyone know in their heads that Tomb Raider was going to be crap as well?

I'll admit to being wrong (cut out and keep this folks). I actually thought the new Tomb Raider might turn out to be a blast.

Given that Eidos's financial future depended on it, and 5 years of dungeoning to build on, I thought they'd pull out a happy marriage between Metal Gear Solid, and Zelda-style dungeoning.

Imagine my surprise when I loaded it up and witness one of the most badly, ill-concieved videogames of this generation.

I think I'll award the Most Overrated Game of the Year award to Soul Calibur 2. Yes, it's very good. Yes, it looks lovely. But in the end it's just a minor update to the first Soul Calibur and not as good as Virtua Fighter 4. IMO ofcourse.

KOTOR is a great leap forwards I think, especially because it introduces the 'western RPG' in a very good way on a console. I've not really got in deep enough to appreciate all it's dynamics, but what I've seen looks lovely.

I'll admit to being wrong (cut out and keep this folks). I actually thought the new Tomb Raider might turn out to be a blast.

Given that Eidos's financial future depended on it, and 5 years of dungeoning to build on, I thought they'd pull out a happy marriage between Metal Gear Solid, and Zelda-style dungeoning.

Imagine my surprise when I loaded it up and witness one of the most badly, ill-concieved videogames of this generation.

Over developed I guess. Games that take 5 years to develope usually end up sucking it seems. As for the Zelda stuff, I have to admit whenever I picture in my mind what Tomb Raider should actually be like, it has the controls and camera of The Wind Waker (except maybe with a jump button). Instead you have control of Lara Croft, who is about as maneurverable as a double decker bus. Crazy really.