IGNORED

Most Overrated game of the year award...

squirtle

I like KOTOR a lot. Possibly my favourite game of the year - I thought Zelda would scoop that, but the soul destroyingly tedious "sail around in your boat for hours searching for the Tri-Force fragments" just killed my enthusiasm for completing the game. A shame, as it had been absolutely brilliant up until that point....The developers obviously needed to rush it out, and decided that artificially lengthening it in that manner was the best way in which to do so.

Everyone absolutely raved about it on here when it came out, the thread went on for pages and pages.

This is the inevitable backlash. It's still one of the best games released this year.

There was also a parallel thread running with people who weren't quite so enthused about it as well, at the same time, iirc, so I think saying "this is the inevitable backlash" is a tad silly.

Some people love it, some people like it, some people don't like it so much, some people couldn't get it to work on their XBox, not the extremes of gushing praise and backlash.

SW:KOTOR = Game of the Year.

Great plot, that you actually had an influence over including some real emotional moments.

Excellent main characters (HK:47 (?) the psycho robot being a personal fav).

I don't agree with the critisms of the combat system, worked well for me, enabing effective control of all party members while removing most of the stop start annoyance of turn based combat.

Graphically never less than good sometimes excellent with really satisfying ligtsaber/weapon/force power pyrotechincs.

Altogether 40+ hours of Starwarsy, epic, good vs evil, super hard, lightsaber wielding, plot twist tastic game of the year.

Yes!

I agree 100% that KOTOR is a huge let down, and I didn't even read all the hype.

I am a big fan of skies of arcadia, so was up for more of the same.

I was amazed at just how boring it is.

The endless, tedious sub quests that mount up in an irritating way, like a list on the fridge of crappy little jobs to do that you can't be bothered with.

I didn't last long at this game, I got as far as the sewers of the first planet when I realised I had forgotten if I was supposed to be:

getting serum, finding a wookie, finding ship parts, collecting a bounty, getting an access code, escaping the planet etc etc

The dialogue was so humorless, and seemingly endless.

Made me switch off completely, so all I could get from conversations would be "blah blah, wookie, something, blah blah, my life up till now etc"

I agree with the combat complaints too. I still don't understand the combat aspect whatsoever, except that my character is so pathetically weak they die in every fight anyway.

A seriously boring game that has no feel of star wars at all

Only Kerraig has put in a heartfelt defense of the game. Is there no-one else who feels like championing it. MK:DD had plenty of advocates, surely KOTOR can muster a few more, or is the general theme of this thread the consensus view?

I could but I don't really feel the need to. Like a lot of people, I did all my 'ooooooh-aaaaah, isn't this lip-smackin', thirst-quenchin', ace-tastin', motivatin', good-buzzin', cool-talkin', high-walkin', fast-livin', ever-givin', cool-fizzin', utterly amazin', top-of-the-line frickin' ace?' stuff in the original KOTOR thread.

Poor framerate? Check.

Dangerously slow start? Check.

Bugs by the bucketload? Check.

Most enjoyable, engrossing and downright epic game I've played all year? Check.

This thread is really little different to Squirtle disagreeing with Roadkill about Space Channel 5. Different people can (and frequently do) like different things and find aspects in something to appreciate/deride - blindingly obvious end of story so there's little point in making a saga out of it...

Sorry, but for someone who didnt even get off the first planet you really are in no position to make that comment.

thats like saying the new James Bond movie is crap after watching the pre credit sequence.

How many hours do I need to play it for before I can decide then?

Sorry, but for someone who didnt even get off the first planet you really are in no position to make that comment.

thats like saying the new James Bond movie is crap after watching the pre credit sequence.

It took me many hours to get off the first planet. I think I was in a perfect position to describe it as 'boring'. (not that boredom was it's biggest fault).

How many hours do I need to play it for before I can decide then?

To decide if it gave a feeling of the star wars universe you have to at least wait till you've become a Jedi. If at that point your opinion still holds then fair enough.

JP. You may have found it boring fair enough, but that wasnt the point I was taking issue with. For me it was the best representation of the Star Wars universe since 1983.

I'm really not much of a Star Wars fan, and I haven't played through any turn based RPG's in the past.

I started this game with big expectations, after 9 hours I was bored and didn't really understand what was going on. Shortly after that something clicked and I was hooked, for the first time in my life I became some sort of weird completist maniac, going all over and revisiting planets just to finsh some tiny little sub-quest.... and this wasn't at all a chore - I was loving it.

I also thought the way the story developed was excellent, and what a great plot twist, I seriously didn't see anything like that coming. I even took pride in trying to become a uber-light side jedi, though I would end up doing dark side missions sometimes in my quest for exp points.

Graphics - sure, a bit dodgy in some places, and very nice in others... nothing offensive though. And the fighting I thought was superb, in the last stages of the star forge running along sending 6 dark jedi's flying with my force power as I ran along was something very special indeed.

This took up all my spare time for several weeks, I finished in 44 hours and max'd out my light side meter. I would love to play it through again and go the opposite way entirely... but time (and a big pile of other games) conspire against me.

It took me many hours to get off the first planet. I think I was in a perfect position to describe it as 'boring'. (not that boredom was it's biggest fault).

But you weren't as you'd not gotten force powers, not completed your group, not deveoped the story properly and not even seen 1/4 of the game.

I thought it was dreadful to begin with but that quickly changed for the better after the initial shock at the poor frame rates and initialy confusing combat system. The system to me now is second nature and I sometimes wish it had more complexaty as I want certain choices which aren't there.

I can defenitely see why people don't like it but please don't try and kid yourselves that it's not good, it is, you just don't like it.

But you weren't as you'd not gotten force powers, not completed your group, not deveoped the story properly and not even seen 1/4 of the game.

I thought it was dreadful to begin with but that quickly changed for the better after the initial shock at the poor frame rates and initialy confusing combat system. The system to me now is second nature and I sometimes wish it had more complexaty as I want certain choices which aren't there.

I can defenitely see why people don't like it but please don't try and kid yourselves that it's not good, it is, you just don't like it.

If a game doesn't entertain me in the first 25% then I think I'm within my rights to feel a tad disappointed. I want to entertained from the beginning.

So for the first few hours of the game you think it's ok to bore the player rigid? What an odd concept. I don't mind if the first quarter of a film is rather slow as at most that's about 30 mins. But 10-15 hours in and the game still hasn't gooten going? Well, sod that for a lark. If I'm gonna play an RPG it's gonna get compared against my favourites: FFVII and Shenmue 1 and 2. This came nowhere near the impact that those three games had on me. Dull, dull, dull.

Yeah i dont understand why the hell kotor uses the d&d rules, all biowares games would be some much more friendly if they didnt use the must over complicated system i ve ever seen.

Edge said this month (in their bioware new game preview) "gamers are all familiar with the D&D rules" no we re bloody well not!! I dont understand them at all, and i ve tried. Plus d&d rules seem to make the combat look and feel completely shit, thank god bioware have said they are using a direct control combat method this time around.

P.S never winter nights -fucking fab but if i have t wait around ever again for a chest to be bashed open i ll cry "i shall do i you ask.......(half an hour later)..........it is done" jesus suffering christ!

Oh and one more thing, how a about a D&D tutorial at the start of the game?!?!

I mean really if you just showed me the basics...................

Hmm. A game based on the fuck-all-to-do-with-the-films Star Wars 'extended universe' that uses the authentic 2nd edition D&D rules.

Another milestone in gaming's commercial and artistic descent into the deservedly critically ostracised adolescent ghetto inhabited by comic books, CCGs and teen 'fantasy horror' television serials. Or have we passed the point of no return long ago?

The thing is, when I was still on holiday I put about 60 hours in 2 weeks into completing this game twice and when I get back from uni I plan to start it again. I don't know if I enjoyed it because of my limitied RPG experience, but I sure as hell enjoyed it immensely, warts and all.

Another milestone in gaming's commercial and artistic descent into the deservedly critically ostracised adolescent ghetto inhabited by comic books, CCGs and teen 'fantasy horror' television serials

I never been able to say what you just said so elegantly. Though i do like kotor for some reason.

If a game doesn't entertain me in the first 25% then I think I'm within my rights to feel a tad disappointed. I want to entertained from the beginning.

Of course you are, absolutely. but you are not within your rights to say the game doesnt well represent the star wars universe.

It took me many hours to get off the first planet.  I think I was in a perfect position to describe it as 'boring'.  (not that boredom was it's biggest fault).

Isn't boredom the worst fault possible for a game?

Perhaps. As someone who designs games I was more frustrated by the cumbersome interface and confusing combat system. To this day I can't see what the KOTOR combat system does that Final Fantasy doesn't and the latter is a lot more straightforward. All you need to do is give clear instructions to each member of your team (Shoot THAT baddie with THIS weapon then stand THERE and SHIELD yourself). All that quasi-realtime stuff is a nightmare.

When Pillage comes out you'll all be able to tell me why my system is crap. ;-)

If a game doesn't entertain me in the first 25% then I think I'm within my rights to feel a tad disappointed.    I want to entertained from the beginning.

Of course you are, absolutely. but you are not within your rights to say the game doesnt well represent the star wars universe.

Well I WAS referring to the boredom point. BUT it didn't represent the Starwars universe (as I understand it) at all. It reminded me of the politically correct Star Trek nonsense.

As I said the racism stuff really stuck out for me. The word Aliens being used to represent 'non-humans'. Not something I recall from the films which featured all types of creatures living together.

Perhaps. As someone who designs games I was more frustrated by the cumbersome interface and confusing combat system. To this day I can't see what the KOTOR combat system does that Final Fantasy doesn't and the latter is a lot more straightforward. All you need to do is give clear instructions to each member of your team (Shoot THAT baddie with THIS weapon then stand THERE and SHIELD yourself). All that quasi-realtime stuff is a nightmare.

When Pillage comes out you'll all be able to tell me why my system is crap. ;-)

Indeed, as you design games, maybe you're more sensible to design issues like this, but I prefer a faulty game than a boring (for me) one (for example, as an aside, don't reply to me for this one, I find LOZ:WW getting boring at one point, but I can appreciate the polish, the perfection of the design).

And if you struggle with the system, I understand KOTOR could become boring fast. Horses and all that.