Playstation Vita

Is the VITA going to have a lot of interesting indie games through PSN?

“It’s a really interesting platform because, as a gamer, it’s the first platform that really sort of gives of everything. It’s the first time I can play things like shooters on an aeroplane; and I don’t like feeling I’m playing something that’s compromised in any way.” – Ken Levine, speaking to PSM3 (viaCVG).

Very positive piece here - http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/22/21st-century-walkman-how-vita-turned-psps-dream-to-reality/

Thoughts?

Good to hear the positive buzz. How many of you feel you will actually regularly use this out and about, though?

Do you really need it, is what i'm asking...?

What does a man really need apart from food, water and a place to sleep? It's a toy, not an essential urban survival tool. It's also rather big, which makes it a whole lot less portable than a DSLite or GBA Micro. Apart from a browser it hasn't got the handy (online) apps you use on your smartphone or tablet. The Google maps app is shit and not a patch on iOs or android versions.

In other words, it's glorious. Comfortable to hold, excellent controls and DAT SCREEN.

I left Escape Plan and Lumines downloading before I went to bed, leaving the Vita on charge so it wouldn't time out. Wake up this morning and the downloads were still where I left them. Bit annoying as I wanted some early morning Lumines.

Nothing to do with gaming but the Twitter app is exceptional. Sony are the Jekyll and Hyde of UI design.

I'm getting install errors when downloading Tales from space : Mutant Blobs.

Seems there a known issue with the first download they made available and Sony need to refund the purchase so it can be rebought:

http://drinkboxstudios.com/blog/blog/2012/02/22/install-errors-make-babies-cry/

In other news, I love the Vita. Rayman seems my best purchase out of Lumines, Uncharted and Golf. The Wipeout demo is amazin though. Might have to grab that!

I left Escape Plan and Lumines downloading before I went to bed, leaving the Vita on charge so it wouldn't time out. Wake up this morning and the downloads were still where I left them. Bit annoying as I wanted some early morning Lumines.

Yeah I set a couple of downloads going last night, expecting them to have finished by the time I got up, but no. Never mind - they were taking an age anyway so I've just set them going on the PS3 and I'll copy them over.

Speaking of which, I thought I could play minis on this? They didn't show up in Content Manager when I was copying a few bits over, and they don't even work via Remote Play. S'up with that?

EG is rather nice, doesn't re-invent the formula but it didn't need to, its just like having the ps3 version shrunk for bog/bed play sessions. I was rather happy with my top 100 place in the second daily tourney (the one without the bucket sized holes) with a 4- par.

Tried a few other demos (that have chewed up the free space on my 8gb freebie card) - Modnation seemed ok (I adored the PS3 version) so considering that, FIFA and Wipeout both looked very nice but both made my hands hurt.

As a non-fan of the big motorstorms RC is a revelation for me, super tight control and just a perfect match to the machine at a sensible price, should have a great attach rate, reminds me of a tarted up Ivan Strongman Stewart from the Amiga (which is a good thing) - only prob I have is becomming my dad and not being sure where the track is going.

Overall all though evening one impressions are very high, feel far more bonded to it than the 3DS initially and put that down mainly to the quality titles on offer.

I'm getting install errors when downloading Tales from space : Mutant Blobs.

Seems there a known issue with the first download they made available and Sony need to refund the purchase so it can be rebought:

http://drinkboxstudi...ake-babies-cry/

In other news, I love the Vita. Rayman seems my best purchase out of Lumines, Uncharted and Golf. The Wipeout demo is amazin though. Might have to grab that!

I got an install error when trying to get Cliff Diver. Had to turn the system on then off and it worked!

Funny little game that too.

Yeah I set a couple of downloads going last night, expecting them to have finished by the time I got up, but no. Never mind - they were taking an age anyway so I've just set them going on the PS3 and I'll copy them over.

Yes, downloads seem to suspend when the system goes into standby, which is a bit of a shame.

It's a shame you can't fully customise the controls in WipEout like you can in the others; I like using square to accelerate, and any other way is a bit fiddly.

Ah, is X accel and Square fire? Circle to cancel? That's how I normally play wipeout. Don't think I can justify an entire console just for wipeout... I did that with the PS3 basically!

The positivity is infectious. But thinking about the launch titles I would want, Lumines, wipeout, and Everybody Golf, I already have their big brothers sat in the house played to death (I guess Im interested in Motorstorm RC as well) My daily commute is already happily satisfied with my iphone. It would be good for holidays and longer journeys though.

Pointless post I guess, I just wanted to write that down to myself so I could confirm I will NOT be buying one today.

Glad you are all enjoying it though.