Playstation Vita

Robo_1

Ah, it's the information given on Gamestop's pre-order system. Which has it as exactly January the 1st at $299.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suppose that the date and price are guesses. Mostly because nobody's fucking open on January the 1st, even Gamestop.

Y'know, that second analogue stick gives me hope. One of the big problems with the original PSP was that since there were so many straight conversions of PS2 games that used dual sticks, many games I wanted to play were just so damn unwieldy. I've heard Peace Walker's a fantastic game all round, but I kept getting spotted while trying to rotate the camera around.

Dual analogue sticks is basically why I want this more than the 3DS.

Yea me too, I love monster hunter etc but the lack of a second stick has made them inaccessible to the masses (in USA.EU anyway)

Really looking forward to dual stick PSP2 gaming.

Yea me too, I love monster hunter etc but the lack of a second stick has made them inaccessible to the masses (in USA.EU anyway)

I think the game design plays more a role in why Monster Hunter has failed to take off in the West, the Wii version had both online and support for dual analog sticks. I remember the beta for the original PS2 euro version, lack of a keyboard made that a very non-fun online experience.

past form (courtesy of wikipedia), to aid speculation:

PS3

US: Nov 17th, 2006

UK: Mar 21st, 2007

The console was originally planned for a global release through November, but the European and rest-of-the-world's release was delayed "until March" at the start of September.[38] With it being a somewhat last-minute delay, some companies had taken deposit-based pre-orders, to which Sony informed customers that they were eligible for full refunds or could continue the pre-order.[39]

PSP

US: Mar 24th, 2005

UK: Sep 1st, 2005

The PSP was originally to have a simultaneous PAL region and North American launch,[26] but on March 15, 2005, Sony announced that the PAL region launch would be delayed because of high demand for the console in Japan and North America.[38]

The Edge Q&A with Shuhei Yoshida (Phil Harrison's replacement) shed a bit more light on the NGP strategy.

He makes some comment about having to leave things out of the system to make sure it could be sold at a reasonable price, they seem to have pretty much thrown everything but the kitchen sink in already anyway :) and the PSP won't be killed off for a while yet (sounds more like a JPN thing than necessarily a Western thing, though it's still doing a few million a year outside Japan at this point) and NGP is the original codename from 2008 and will probably change (at E3 I assume).

That Q&A also shows up quite how different the Sony design process is to the Nintendo one - he basically flat out says that the 'Hardware Division said they could do a touch panel on the back. I had no idea how I'd use it, but since we could do it we went with it anyway'.

That Q&A also shows up quite how different the Sony design process is to the Nintendo one - he basically flat out says that the 'Hardware Division said they could do a touch panel on the back. I had no idea how I'd use it, but since we could do it we went with it anyway'.

That's no different from Nintendo, is it? Yamauchi suggested adding a second screen when making the DS, and then Miyamoto and co. thought about how they could make it work.

He did mention being all "Well, I don't how how we'd use it..." and then the guys behind that game that uses it were all "Hey, we've done this game..." and he was all like "SICKNASTY".

How did you infer that from the words printed on the page? Yoshida doesn't talk about why the back touch panel was there directly at all, just about how developers will have to decide how to utilise the available inputs they have included with the device.

I quote:

Even Shuhei Yoshida, Sony's director of Worldwide studios, failed to recognise the use for such an input surface when the idea was first suggested. "The hardware division told us they could put touch panels on the back if we'd like,"he explains. "I saw no real use for that. But the team that made Little Deviants found the idea interesting and made the demo - then I realised the potential".

Note: its in the main body of text, not the Q+A

I quote:

Even Shuhei Yoshida, Sony's director of Worldwide studios, failed to recognise the use for such an input surface when the idea was first suggested. "The hardware division told us they could put touch panels on the back if we'd like,"he explains. "I saw no real use for that. But the team that made Little Deviants found the idea interesting and made the demo - then I realised the potential".

Note: its in the main body of text, not the Q+A

I read elsewhere that was the reason the back touch panel is in the device, but even that text does not implicate the hardware design team foisting some useless feature onto the device, it was technically feasible, Yoshida had no interest in it but a developer showed him a use for it so he said "sod it, why not", would be a more accurate reading of that.

Sound like a Nintendo-like way of doing things to me, is it technically feasible, does it have gameplay uses and is it super-cheap to implement, ticks all the boxes, put it in.

It can't be that expensive to do anyway, it's not like they've put an actual screen on the back of the handheld. Imagine that though- a console you have to keep flipping over to use!

Multiplayer would never be the same again. Dibs on the front screen!

Imagine the Psycho Mantis fight you could have, though. Although knowing Kojima it'd wind up saying "I like cocks lol" on the back when you were busy fighting on the front screen.

... or trawl (troll?) your internet history to post up amusing images and sites. Let the world see your love for obscure Mongolian gay alpacha beatiality.

I imagine a rear screen would show Meryl in various stages of undress at all times.

Speaking of which I can't wait for the innovative range of Japanese games that make use of the back panel, such as a bra unfastening game featuring 18-year-old girls of questionable veracity.

I imagine a rear screen would show Meryl in various stages of undress at all times.

Speaking of which I can't wait for the innovative range of Japanese games that make use of the back panel, such as a bra unfastening game featuring clearly underage girls 18-year-old girls officer I swear to God please take my bell-end out of the chilli sauce.

Corrected.