IGNORED

Playstation Vita

Robo_1

Seems Ubisoft agree on potential pricing for NGP: :)

A survey conducted yesterday by research firm Toluna, and sponsored by publishers Ubisoft (it was labelled "Ubisoft- NGP concept- US Adults"), says that "the retail price of the Sony NGP is expected to be around $350", and asks the respondent "How likely would you be to purchase the Sony NGP now that you know this retail price?"

That's for the premium model, the one with 3G. The next question, however, says that the version of the NGP shipping without 3G connectivity will be priced considerably lower: at $250.

Of course, being a survey conducted by a third-party publisher and not Sony itself, these prices could well be pure conjecture. The fact it's such a major publisher, though, and that it's so confidently-worded, means those prices are at least worth bearing in mind.

At $250, it'd be a very interesting fight versus the 3DS, way lower than I would have guessed, we'll have to wait and see how close Ubisoft are to final pricing.

$250 sounds like the sort of pricing which involves an effective Sony handout to early adopters, rather than a realistic financially sustainable price, hardware which is a generational leap ahead of the 3DS for the same money, it certainly ain't the way to keep shareholders happy, gamers though :)

Seeing as a PS3 is £230 here, I think you'd be slightly delusional to believe it could be anything cheaper than that. Even £250 would be pretty amazing value.

It's not out for at least 8 months, and the PS3 is already overdue a price cut as it is. I expect a Holiday 2011 £199 PS3, closely followed by (hopefully) a £199 NGP.

Shame there's no announcement of a mini-HDMI out for this, I'd love to have something I could just plug into my TV.

It's not out for at least 8 months, and the PS3 is already overdue a price cut as it is. I expect a Holiday 2011 £199 PS3, closely followed by (hopefully) a £199 NGP.

Shame there's no announcement of a mini-HDMI out for this, I'd love to have something I could just plug into my TV.

What would be good is a little charging dock you dropped it in that has a HDMI out and lets you synch to a PS3 controller..

Instant mini-console..

Will be difficult to resist if it arrives under £250..

That would be nice - at the moment it's a bit silly seeing the Store get updated with titles that have been on shelves for ages (or just forgotten about altogether.) It might be too much to hope for reasonable pricing that can compete with brick and mortars, but it's a good idea...

• 2 weeks later...

So does any one here who is tech savvy have any idea of the actual performance of the psp2? is it similar to the ps3 or is it like its predecessor and lacks a bit of the oomph of its home console counterpart? Could the psp2 run something like Oblivion?

No reason why it couldn't; the Xbox could run Morrowind after all, and this is a lot more powerful. It isn't a PS3, it's architecturally very different in some ways, but it should be able to handle a lot of game experiences you'd get on a home console.

It's basically an iPad 2 on speed, more or less.

So does any one here who is tech savvy have any idea of the actual performance of the psp2? is it similar to the ps3 or is it like its predecessor and lacks a bit of the oomph of its home console counterpart? Could the psp2 run something like Oblivion?

The original PSP could run Oblivion ;)

6.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

But the DS could run Halo too so anything is possible if developers are bloody-minded enough :)

From the Sony GDC talk, the NGP is in effectively the same position as the PSP was, a bit less powerful than its home console equivalent.

For those who don't follow the link, the Japan earthquake has impacted the development (as I expected, but hoped wouldn't):

The devastating earthquake that hit Japan last month may push back the NGP's launch, Sony exec Jack Tretton has announced.

Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg, the Sony Computer Entertainment America president explained that a number of its factories in the north of the country have had to close for repairs, and there is also a shortage of component parts from suppliers in the quake zone.

He also argued that delaying the NGP's release would give developers affected by the quake and subsequent tsunami more time to finish their software.

"It may be the straw that says 'maybe we get to just one market by the end of the year,'" he said.

He didn't given any indication which market that might be but Japan is obviously a favourite.

Speculation early last month had pointed towards a November launch in Europe for the new handheld but a global 2011 release has never been promised by Sony.

"It's very difficult to have the quantities to be able to launch on a worldwide basis on the same date," said Tretton after the device was unveiled in January.

"Our goal is get at least one territory out by the end of holiday 2011."

The demand will be sky-high. Expect a scrabble for hardware not seen since the launch of the PS2, if this is the case.

It was £180 wasn't it?

I got a PSP at launch, they'll need exceptional software for me to get a psp2

Good point. I think I got mine as a bundle. I remember buying it after college and playing it on the way home.

Rumoured info about Sony's plans for E3 (mainly NGP stuff, but some interesting bits of info about their PS3 plans as well).

A French Sony employee has leaked some details regarding what Sony has in store at E3 this year. Following are rumors about the NGP, Metal Gear, a possible interest from Bungie, and plenty more.

Before we go into the rest of the details, please be aware that these are only rumors. However, it has been reported by members of the forum that the user who has revealed these details also leaked details for E3 2009 that matched up exactly with what was revealed that year.

Here is our summary:

- Sony will confirm the official name, pricing and release date of the NGP

- There will be 7 first party titles revealed for the NGP

- Hideo Kojima's NGP project likely to be Peace Walker

- The Wipeout engine has been perfectly ported over to the NGP and you can expect the release of the game in the first quarter of the NGP's launch

- Chance of another Metal Gear game on its way in the future

- There are 37 titles in the working for Sony platforms, but most will not be revealed until a European event (likely Gamescom)

- Sony will reveal titles that will not be available until Christmas 2012 at E3

- Santa Monica Studios will be on board, but don't expect much more information about the title (potentially next God of War title)

- A sequel to Warhawk will be revealed before E3

- 2 PS3 exclusives won't be presented at E3 but will be available before the end of the year in Europe

- Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3 and The Last Guardian will be playable at E3

- Polyphony Digital are returning with a new title before March 2012

- Polyphony would like to make Europe a privilege for its next title. "Please don't underestimate their work even if they deceived some of you."

- A Rockstar game, probably GTA V, could be released before Agent was planned to be

- A third party title is in a "big battle" with Sony. The developers seem to be Bungie, so the game would be their next project with Activision.

Lastly, the employee says this:

We've been shown Uncharted 3 demo quickly in a little clip internally. And it was super cool. The playable scene was as surprising as the Uncharted 2 sequence presented few years ago at E3. it's really stylish. Some people will say it's like Uncharted 2.5 but I loved it.

Again, these are rumors but come from a source who has been reliable beforehand. Make of them what you will.

http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/chrispriestman/2011/04/06/rumor_leaked_details_of_sony_e3_2011_lineup.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamekult.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic-sony-univers-infos-videos-jeux-discussion-378410n.html%3Fp%3D5548%26refCode%3D%26filtre%3D%26mark%3D17924548%26%23mark17924548

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/07/rumour-massive-sony-leak-says-ngp-pricing-and-name-at-e3-new-polyphony-title-before-march-2012-peace-walker-hinted-for-ngp/

:)