Playstation Vita

Robo_1

7 first party games for NGP? I assume those are new unknown ones as they've already shown more than that at the original reveal:

Broken

Gravity Daze

Hot Shots Golf

Hustle Kings

Killzone

Little Deviants

LittleBigPlanet

Reality Fighters

Uncharted

Resistance

Wipeout

The WarHawk sequel is probably StarHawk, been rumoured since forever.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all by a high price. To be honest though, why wouldn't Sony set a high price? Apple, for one thing, have proved that people will pay a premium for something that they perceive to be a premium product.

Perhaps. However, that premium product is also a phone, something many people can't live without these days. The NGP is a portable games console, and is by definition something of a luxury.

Not that I'm entirely dismissive - just I doubt I'd pay more than I paid for the original PSP.

Perhaps. However, that premium product is also a phone, something many people can't live without these days. The NGP is a portable games console, and is by definition something of a luxury.

Not that I'm entirely dismissive - just I doubt I'd pay more than I paid for the original PSP.

An entry level iPod touch is £193, more than the original psp and it's still a premium product even if it is "inferior" to the iPhone

There seem to be some really, really fallacious arguments in here about pricing.

The NGP is a lot more powerful than an iPhone 4. How much does one of those cost at retail? 32GB version for £400?

It's more powerful than an iPad 2. How much do you think that's gonna be at retail? £400 minimum.

Those seem like more apt comparisons, to me. You have to put aside the Apple devices' other functionality because they are fundamentally different to what the NGP has to achieve and will appeal to different markets.

There seem to be some really, really fallacious arguments in here about pricing.

The NGP is a lot more powerful than an iPhone 4. How much does one of those cost at retail? 32GB version for £400?

It's more powerful than an iPad 2. How much do you think that's gonna be at retail? £400 minimum.

Those seem like more apt comparisons, to me. You have to put aside the Apple devices' other functionality because they are fundamentally different to what the NGP has to achieve and will appeal to different markets.

Anything more than £300 and it wont sell I think.

If they couldnt flog the PS3 at £400, they have no fucking chance at selling this for £400.

Not sure I'm totally following you, but I think I understand. My issue though is rather that the power of the device is somewhat moot for me - it's a portable games console. It could be 10 times more powerful than the iPhone, for example, but I wouldn't pay £350 for it. The 3DS was £200-odd, which for me was about right. Still, individual opinions mean nothing; it all depends on what the marketplace thinks.

Not sure I'm totally following you, but I think I understand. My issue though is rather that the power of the device is somewhat moot for me - it's a portable games console. It could be 10 times more powerful than the iPhone, for example, but I wouldn't pay £350 for it. The 3DS was £200-odd, which for me was about right. Still, individual opinions mean nothing; it all depends on what the marketplace thinks.

Part of my argument is, it's not a lot of money for cutting-edge tech. The Saturn was £400, and was inferior to the PSOne. And that's in 1995(?) money. I think we've just become accustomed to things being cheap. Well, sometimes it's worth laying-down the wedge. But like you say, YMMV.

£400 for a portable games console is suicide. the ipad/iphone have multiple applications that despite what sony might think, this device is never going to be used for.

That's the long and short of it. I can't believe they'd be idiotic enough to launch for higher than £250 though. Surely past experience is there to be learned from.

Id be surprised if it came out at more than $300 for the cheapest model, I think that quote was taken out of context a bit. Trenton never said that they would be releasing the NGP at a high price point, just that even with a high price point something will sell if its something that people will want. He also mentioned Kinect which everyone said was too expensive yet has sold 10 million units so I think he does have a point.

If capcom announce a new monster hunter title though I think its safe to say that it will be a huge success in Japan.

• 1 month later...

13346.8.219.138.jpg

"This is rumor control..."

- Non-3G models will be competively priced with the 3DS

- This model should be around $250 – $300

- Sacrifices were made to reach that price tag

- Latest rumors suggest RAM is now 256MB instead of 512MB

- Size of the OS footprint in memory also reduced

- 26MG of the RAM is high-speed RAM

- This RAM can be used for certain tasks that need quicker access to system memory

- 128MB of graphics memory is intact

- Planned 16MB of internal flash memory have been removed for cheaper external storage

Source.

To put the latest tidbit into perspective, a poster over at Develop has posted the following:

Sony didn't confirm how much memory PSP2 would have in January. They did not flaunt anything in that regard. Why? Because it was still undecided. Developers had been told to expect 256MB of main memory, but that there was a possibility of that increasing. Sony decided around GDC not to make that increase. That's all that happened here.

So all that seems to have happened here is that Sony have decided not to add more RAM, rather than remove any that was already part of the spec.

Of more concern is the possible lack of internal storage. I think that alone would push me over to the higher spec model. It's clear Sony have got a mainstream price in mind for NGP though.

Man, sony must be having a good old think over all of this. After seeing the hard time nintendo had with the 3ds pricepoint, they're now intending on releasing a technical beast of a machine. Just how much of a price hit can they cope with taking?

Source.

s1_harvey.jpg

"Playstation Vita!"

:lol:

It seems like it was actually a code name for the device before it was even revealed as NGP. To add further fuel to the fire however, this has just appeared:

psvita-pic1.jpg

0528111154-00.jpg

Source

Seems we're getting further and further away from PSP2 at any rate.

In further news regarding the proposed NGP/Vita RAM spec, Shuhei Yoshida has responded to a question via twitter, simply saying:

People say, "Do not believe everything you read on the Internet.

It's not exactly giving much away, but it certainly casts some doubt on the rumour.

It's not exactly giving much away, but it certainly casts some doubt on the rumour.

Isn't that what Microsoft execs say every year when all their stuff is blown out of the water weeks early?

Sorry, when it's E3 time, I believe everything that isn't crazy.