Playstation Vita

Robo_1

Is that Bastion doing the interview?

"There’s no one clear competitor for the *NGP", says Shuhei Yoshida.

There’s no one clear competitor in terms of what *NGP offers. *NGP’s going to establish itself as the unique thing that people want to have. *NGP cannot be placed against smartphones. You can’t make phone calls on it and it’s too big to fit into your pocket. Compared to 3DS, it was very interesting – when we were designing the NGP we had no idea what Nintendo was going to do. Aside from the 3D stereoscopic display, they seem to be keeping the same theme that they had with the DS – it feels like an update of the DS to me. Lots of choices we made were so different from their choices. It’s kind of hard to compare the two, aside from the fact that both of them are dedicated gaming platforms. We are dealing with the same issue that Nintendo is. It’s up to content publishers, including ourselves, to show people that this is worth £25 or £30 as opposed to 59p. You cannot release the same content that you put on the iPhone for a dollar on to NGP or some other consoles and expect people to pay 20 times that.

...interesting.

Launch titles confirmed:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss:

Developed by Bend Studios, the game will contain the same sort of adventures and action you are used to with the series, as well as the intoduction of touch and tilt controls.

wipEout 2084:

The game is set during the birth of “anti-gravity racing” and features a near-future environmentsand the ability to play against PS3 racers on WipEout HD Fury.

Little Deviants:

This title contains a series of “madcap adventures” which will utlize NGP’s rear touch pad, touch screen, the motion sensor, and both the front and rear cameras. It contains augmented reality elements and makes use of the handheld’s microphone.

Reality Fighters:

An augmented reality fighting game in which you capture yourself using the NGP camera andgo up against other fighters around the world.

Super Stardust Delta:

The game uses the dual analog sticks, plus the touch screen and motion sensing controls.

Sound Shapes (working title):

Play, compose and share with other NGP users with this “side-scrolling platformer.” In it, you will create music with your actions using the touch screen and share them with the PSN community.

Hustle Kings:

Like the PSN version, only handhled and makes use of precision controls via the touch screen and rear touch pad.

Everybody’s Golf:

ClapHanz has added touch and tilt controls to the game of golf which also includes online multiplayer.

Of further note is that games like Resistance: Retribution can take advantage of the duel analogue controls on Vita.

Trying to imagine how to control Hustle Kings. Using two fingers on the back to simulate the cue angle could be rather awesome. Especially if you could then use the 'bottom' finger to flick for shot power.

Probably not going to be a popular opinion, but whilst they look technically superb, I'm not feeling those WipEout pictures. They just look far too "real world", lacking the very stylish futuristic "look" of previous titles.

Don't want to judge it just from those images, and it might play really well - just my initial reaction was surprise at that actually being a WipEout title.

EDIT: Though that being said, I'm pleased that they might be taking the franchise in a new and interesting direction; at least it isn't a rehash.

Probably not going to be a popular opinion, but whilst they look technically superb, I'm not feeling those WipEout pictures. They just look far too "real world", lacking the very stylish futuristic "look" of previous titles.

Don't want to judge it just from those images, and it might play really well - just my initial reaction was surprise at that actually being a WipEout title.

But that's the point. :) This is the one where the races start, so it makes sense that it's still less stylized and more akin to 'our' time. It's a 'wipEout 0' in a way. From a fake-branding point of view I can't wait to see how the brands have 'devolved'.

To be fair, it'll probably play exactly the same as Pure, Pulse and HD. It's not a system seller this time like Pure was for the PSP, but it'll sure be a nice bonus.

I do hope so. The only thing the PPHD family needed was more tracks and, considering most of them were regurgitated, this should be sweet. It's not like the controls in those games were broken as well. It sounds like the perfect storm with a fresh take on the aesthetics.

[edit] Speaking of sound, wonder how the new setting will influence the soundtrack....

We'll see how it pans out - but seems like a track pack for HD. I just don't think Wipeout has the draw it used to..

Uncharted though.

DAY ONE! (as long as it's not too expensive and the tilt/touchscreen stuff is optional.)