Playstation Vita

Robo_1

If they unveil a £199-ish price, I might be tempted to fly the 3DS roost. I don't know why as my PSP went more or less unplayed, being as it was a system with far too much of a focus on cut-down, diluted PS2 games, but seeing Uncharted has tempted me to make the same mistake twice...

Still, solid line-up for launch. Glad to see PSP backwards-compatibility is in. Here's a ridiculous long-shot: any chance of PS2 compatibility? :lol:

Nope. It's been more or less confirmed that they'll (predictably) release PSTwo classics on the PS Vita, just like the PSOne classics on the PSP, through the PSN store.

There was an article on this on computerandvideogames.co.uk a couple of days ago, iirc.

What about backwards-compatibility? As in I have a load of UMDs, will I be able to use these with the PlayStation Vita? I'm just reading this but it doesn't really explain.

What? It doesn't have a UMD drive. I don't imagine, given they didn't do it for PSP Go, that they'll do any kind of UMD-to-download switch. So if you're getting PSP and PSOne games via PSN now, they'll still work on Vita. Otherwise, keep your UMDs and your old PSP.

What about backwards-compatibility? As in I have a load of UMDs, will I be able to use these with the PlayStation Vita? I'm just reading this but it doesn't really explain.

I think they've only ever talked about letting it play your PSN games, and not UMDs. They weren't very fussed about the whole PSPGo UMD promotion so I can't see them making a big deal of it here.

Larger by some measure than its competition, the NGP's closest comparison in handheld history is Atari's Lynx.

It looks lovely and all, but :facepalm:

Especially, combined with:

These of course include those long-awaited dual analogue sticks. They feel disconcertingly small at first, their convex nature allowing blundering thumbs to slip off them all too easily.

Probably not going to be a popular opinion, but whilst they look technically superb, I'm not feeling those WipEout pictures. They just look far too "real world", lacking the very stylish futuristic "look" of previous titles.

Don't want to judge it just from those images, and it might play really well - just my initial reaction was surprise at that actually being a WipEout title.

EDIT: Though that being said, I'm pleased that they might be taking the franchise in a new and interesting direction; at least it isn't a rehash.

I disagree that 2048 is not in keeping with the series style.

Wipeout 2097’s tracks were set in the future but retained a real world sense of look and atmosphere to them. The track set around a French industrial complex was dirty, drenched in rain and had comparable real world architecture within Wipeout’s twisty, gravity defying courses.

Those screenshots have none of the grime of 2097 although that’s partly down to the horse power of the original PlayStation than anything else. Wip3out was where the series really pushed the boat out, although that was felt more in the menus, music and UI rather than the track design.

What we’ve seen of 2048 so far retains the series lineage, with the overall colour, building architecture and track design being what a modern interpretation of Wipeout should look like in my eyes. Now, just the soundtrack to get right!

It is for me... the PS3 cannot :coffee:

I wouldn't expect too much from it either. See what happened with the PSOne classics on the PSP; a mere handful of good games from probably over 1.000 titles.

I'm going with the same approach that Wii sounds like a piss, we'll get used to it eventually.

The boys at Sony's marketing dep. obviously thought the /i:/ sound is what counts these days.

Of course we will. But it still boggles the mind sometimes when you think that very highly paid creative executives come up with this kind of drivel.

Well they couldn't call it portable anymore, that'd be against the trade description act or something. Maybe Playstation Big-Boned.

psp2comp.jpg