Playstation Vita

Robo_1

It's pretty far off as a name. Breakfast, vitamins, rabbit food, skincare... Many things but not upfront tech.

Don't follow.

Edit: and the size of it too... Far too big! I thought it was all about subtlety with handhelds so u don't feel like a prick playing them in public?

I'll be there day one for Wipeout alone. The original PSP games had months of playability and were well supported with DLC. I'm fairly sure a COD will be announced for launch too. And Ridge Racer!

Surely not if it's a bit shit?

No guarantees it might be gash.

Now, just the soundtrack to get right!

There are some great contemporary artists that would fit in perfectly, breakage, zinc, buraka som sistema, photek (again), commix etc etc...

Deep and moody.

Hope their MD is on the ball...

Specs have been released:

http://www.techparadise.co.in/2011/06/03/sony-ngp-specifications/

Features:

Designed for Games: With a stunning screen and dual analog sticks, NGP is every gamer’s dream come true.

Power and Performance: NGP uses the latest technology to deliver the best performance and graphics.

Always Connected: Take your pick from an always-on 3G Mobile Broadband or a Wi-Fi only model.

PlayStation Network: NGP is fully compatible with PlayStation Network, as well as connecting with PS3.

Social Gaming: Locate, connect, discover, share and play with your friends wherever they are.

Innovative Games: Built-in cameras and GPS help create augmented reality and location-based experiences.

Specifications:

CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)

GPU: SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screens: Front touchscreen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, approx. 16 million colours, OLED multi touch screen, capacitive type.

Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad, capacitive type.

Cameras:

Front Camera

Rear Camera

Sound:

Built-in Stereo Speakers

Built-in Microphone

Sensors:

Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer).

Three-axis electronic compass.

Built-in GPS.

Wireless location service support.

Keys / Switches:

PS button.

Power button.

Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left).

Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square).

Shoulder buttons (Right/Left).

Right stick, Left stick.

START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons (+/-).

Wireless Communications:

Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1).

(Wireless), (Infrastructure Mode/Ad Hoc Mode).

Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP.

Game Titles:

Super Stardust™ Delta

WipEout 2048 (Working Title)

Little Deviants

Uncharted Golden Abyss™

Reality Fighters (Working Title)

Hustle Kings

Sound Shapes (Working Title)

Interesting lack of mention of any onboard storage there.

Ah, now I remember where I got that rabbit food link from:

Also, a Canadian(?) magazine for older 40+ women?

vita_celine.jpg

That's the sort of thing it sounds like to me.

I'd actually forgotten you'd be able to get a 3G version of this. We're going to see some horrendous data plans I suspect.

I quite like the name 'Vita'. It's spritely and nimble and recalls feelings of colour and brightness and vitality. It's better than 'NGP' at any rate.

If people were willing to run around the shops at Christmas shouting "I need a Wii! Where can I get a Wii! If my son doesn't have a Wii on Christmas morning" etc etc, I don't see how Vita is particularly bad.

If people were willing to run around the shops at Christmas shouting "I need a Wii! Where can I get a Wii! If my son doesn't have a Wii on Christmas morning" etc etc, I don't see how Vita is particularly bad.

Indeed.

I realllllllllllllly hope the new Nintendo console is called 'stream', as is rumoured.

I know, from the failed CD project Sony did with Nintendo, innit?

Xbox is a stupid name, Xbox 360 even more so. The directX roots are pretty cool though, the first Xbox truly was a bit of a marvel at the time. 360 is great too obviously.

Wasn't the XBOX360 named that to sound in the same generation as the PS3? XBOX 2 would sound old hat.

If the XBOX720 arrives we'll see Playstation Infinity+1 by year end.

I don't want to be a hater, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the PSV (I'm the first to use the initials so I copyright them and everyone owes me licencing rights if they use them from now on). I mean - sure, it's technically fantastic, but it seems that Sony are making exactly the same mistake they made with the PSP. I love Uncharted on my massive HD television, and I don't particularly want to play a slightly less impressive version of it on a handheld, especially if it's so large it's not even convenient.

How come Sony have released all this information before their conference? You'd think they'd want it kept quiet until then

Their shit always leaks, might as well get a handle on it and do it officially.

I don't want to be a hater, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the PSV (I'm the first to use the initials so I copyright them and everyone owes me licencing rights if they use them from now on). I mean - sure, it's technically fantastic, but it seems that Sony are making exactly the same mistake they made with the PSP. I love Uncharted on my massive HD television, and I don't particularly want to play a slightly less impressive version of it on a handheld, especially if it's so large it's not even convenient.

Well, games like that Mak game and Little Deviants as well as the whole PS Suite show that the Vita isn't just for those kind of games. Though to be fair, I think both Uncharted and Wipeout look like great titles. Best of both worlds and it seems the thing is very capable of standing up to its big brother.

I wish I could play Uncharted during train or plane trips and now I can. You could do worse with the launch line-up than this, much more appealing than the 3DS one for me.