Playstation Vita

Robo_1

So these are down to £125 for a preowned unit in Game now (online and in-store).

My wallet twitched -- my PSN+ sub means I already have a decent library of games -- but the price of the memory cards put me off again.

How far does, say, an 8 or 16 GB card get you? What's a typical sort of size for games? Or what does a full download of the last six months of Vita content from PSN+ weigh in at?

Just look at it like you are now getting a system and card for the price of a system a few weeks back.

I can see the logic, but it'll never stop bothering me that it's three times the price of an SD card.

I have a 16GB card and have MGS collection, Virtue's Last Reward, Sine Mora demo, Soul Sacrifice demo, Motorstorm RC, Jet Set Radio, Super Stardust Delta, God of War: Chains of Olympus and a PSone game that I cannot remember and there's still a couple of GB free on it.

I'd already bought retail versions of Wipeout 2048, Uncharted, Lumines and Gravity Rush before PS+ came to the machine. I'd imagine I'm going to run out of space on my 16GB quite soon.

If you are the type of person who turns over games fairly quickly, you could get by with less. PS+ which you will of course get will allow you to sync your saves so you will have no problems deleting a game and coming back to it later.

Forget about the 4GB card, though.

How far does, say, an 8 or 16 GB card get you? What's a typical sort of size for games? Or what does a full download of the last six months of Vita content from PSN+ weigh in at?

I can see the logic, but it'll never stop bothering me that it's three times the price of an SD card.

'Full'/'Retail' games seem to weigh in anywhere between 1.5gb (VLR, JSR) and 3gb (MGS HD, Uncharted, MK). Indie/smaller stuff seems to be about 200-300MB.

I always have one 'big', story-heavy game on the go (currently Persona 4, which has taken over my life), and several smaller games on the go at any one time. I like having a big choice of titles ready to play. So I can dip into WipEout 2048 for a few races, or do a few puzzles in Dokoro whenever I like. So yeah, I need a 32GB card.

Just to pipe up on the cheaper end, 8GB is fine. I've 2-3 full games, 2-3 smaller ones and a couple of minis on mine. If you're not bothered about having EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME JUST IN CASE it's absolutely fine. How many can you play at any given moment?

'Full'/'Retail' games seem to weigh in anywhere between 1.5gb (VLR, JSR) and 3gb (MGS HD, Uncharted, MK). Indie/smaller stuff seems to be about 200-300MB.

As far as I know the biggest game is BlazBlue - 3.7gb. AFAIK "4gb" is the game card limit

If you're not bothered about having EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME JUST IN CASE

It physically hurt me to read these words. YES I WANT EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME JUST IN CASE. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

An interesting point regarding digital download games vs on-cart games:

A 32GB card is about S$100/GBP50/US$80, (S$12/GBP6.25/US$10) per 4GB game.

So if you buy a digital download, you do need to effectively add the cost of card storage to the price of the game. From Sony's point of view, I'm sure they factor this in to the equation for digital downloads given you have to use the proprietary cards.

So effectively your GBP35 download is GBP41.

I must admit, I'm very interested to see what they do with the next Gran Turismo and how it could be a "combined experience" (apologies for the horrible business-speak phrase) across both platforms. We saw some interesting stuff in GT5 with b-spec racing, and I'm suspecting that we'll see more of this type of thing in the future and across both home and handheld systems.

Potentially daft question but can I just keep all my psp games on my old 4GB Vita memory card and then just change the memory cards over when I want to play them?

Sounds easy and possible to me, but does the Vita like/allow it?