Playstation Vita

I love the gyro-aiming to fine-tune headshots in KZ. The graphics are astonishing as well.

Shame we probably won't see many more games that really push the Vita as it's clearly a capable wee machine. :(

Fell in love with this little beauty whilst in hospital last week. Played through Gravity Rush and Hotline Miami, had a few blasts on Katamari and TxK, getting my teeth into Pixeljunk Shooter. It just feels so solidly built and capable.

There's enough in the library to keep me going for years, I suspect, but it's a shame to hear people talking about things winding down. It'd be nice if there were still games to really push the power of the machine. Are things really looking so bleak?

The problem is that there's some vague definition of "no games". Indie games are looked down as not being proper games on, the PSP/PS1 back catalogue doesn't count and any Japanese releases are filed under either Monster Hunter clones or "peadophile simulators".

Western developers have no real impetus to develop for a handheld when a large proportion of the Western side would rather play on consoles or PC and mobile game is cheaper and has a higher profit margin.

Any games that do try and push the machine like Killzone Mercs or Borderlands 2 are then derided for being "inferior to a console experience" when the point of having such games on the machine in the first place - particularly when the 3DS has little to none of the same games - is entirely ignored.

The problem is that there's some vague definition of "no games". Indie games are looked down as not being proper games on, the PSP/PS1 back catalogue doesn't count and any Japanese releases are filed under either Monster Hunter clones or "peadophile simulators".

I did wonder if this was the case. A lack of new AAA western titles wouldn't bother me that much, really. It'll be nice if Sony continue to make the occasional showpiece, though.

I did wonder if this was the case. A lack of new AAA western titles wouldn't bother me that much, really. It'll be nice if Sony continue to make the occasional showpiece, though.

Well isn't a large part of the trouble they have no tried and tested favourites to fall back on? Nintendo can always fall back on a new Mario, Zelda or Pokemon but with Sony they lack that easy option as it were. LBP, Tearaway and Uncharted helped shifted units but they didn't exactly set the world on fire or garner they same rabid, zealous following.

I think it would be weird of Sony to release a new model of the Vita, and also the PlayStation TV variant, and then not develop any more games for it. I'm willing to bet that theyre just all-hands-on-deck right now to pull the PS4 out of its software drought. After that's sorted I think they'll get a Vita game together.

Yeah marketed well Vita TV could be the future for games consoles. Especially when, in the near future, it will essentially just be an app on our Smart devices/TVs.

Fire TV, Apple etc. are shit when you compare them. Sony should really be able to clear up.

Killzone is a remarkable achievement, and from what I've played of it it is substantially better than Shadow Fall. The save system lets it down though - I've only finished a few levels because of this. I'd rather it let you resume at any of the mid level checkpoints (I mean, why wouldn't it?), but you need to finish every stage in one sitting.

Agree this was a bit of a bad decision, but ive still finished the game.

Shadowfall on the other hand ive not.

I love Persona - I still haven't quite finished it but I've put over 80 hours into it so far (which is easily more than I've put into any other RPG ever) - but that's since it launched in Feb 2013! For me, it's the ultimate 'dip in, dip out' game, and I always have one or two other titles on the go at the same time.

I love Persona - I still haven't quite finished it but I've put over 80 hours into it so far (which is easily more than I've put into any other RPG ever) - but that's since it launched in Feb 2013! For me, it's the ultimate 'dip in, dip out' game, and I always have one or two other titles on the go at the same time.

That makes sense, easier to do if you've a big memory card though...

Talking of which, I might be going to the states soon - could I get a 32Gb/64Gb memory card out there? Are they cheaper?

Can't you just put the Vita to sleep mid level or am I missing something?

You can, but if you want to do something like a Spelunky daily challenge it becomes a minor inconvenience. A mid level save would elevate the game to near greatness I think. As it stands it's merely very very good.

You can, but if you want to do something like a Spelunky daily challenge it becomes a minor inconvenience. A mid level save would elevate the game to near greatness I think. As it stands it's merely very very good.

I wish you could put a game into a save state like on the PSP Go.

Yeah, this is it. With my Vita I do a lot of chopping and changing with the games I play, and feeling forced to put a certain amount of time into a game before I can a quick go of another game puts me off playing it, especially when it's quite a hard game. There's no reason for not having mid level save points.

It is a fabulous shooter though.

A mid level save would elevate the game to near greatness I think. As it stands it's merely very very good.

It's still great, just a little inconvenient. Everybody's Golf has the same problem, and that's also great!

Though yeah. Portable systems should have saves designed for portables - especially games designed from the ground up for them.

It's still great, just a little inconvenient. Everybody's Golf has the same problem, and that's also great!

Though yeah. Portable systems should have saves designed for portables - especially games designed from the ground up for them.

Thinking on, KZ on Vita has checkpoints at each arms dealer that you respawn at if you die. Why not just let us save at that point? Its baffling.

But it is good. Popping off headshots with the gyro controls doesn't get old.

Separately, I'm enjoying FFX immensely. Those crappy trial and error block puzzle dungeons where you shunt a bird bath around the place putting gems in and out of it can fuck themselves right off a cliff however. The rest of the game is super, if frequently baffling.

Totally. I was expecting it to be a real mess after reading things like that, but I haven't noticed any real issues at all with performance- played three or four hours on the Vita. Cross save worked well- was only a few hours in on the PS3 version. But I've also never really cared about discussions about 30fps or whatever- for me the bottom line "Is the game playable and fun?" Which it is.

Annoyingly I didn't realise the DLC had to be downloaded- on the front and back it doesn't mention anything about this- and the code I got with my game (which was an American retail one) doesn't work for me as my PS Store is for Europe. Bit of a pain, and nowhere on the box did it say that the DLC wouldn't come on the cart but would need to be downloaded.

these are the same guys that lost their shit over the 59fps for MK8.

these are the same guys that lost their shit over the 59fps for MK8.

Nonsense. I can quite happily put up with framerate drops, but I find Vita Borderlands far too juddery and headache inducing. Hopefully the patch will address it as I'd like to carry on.

I have to admit I don't get Borderlands 2. I've only played the PS3 version but it's just a really basic FPS. Compared with say Halo the combat is woeful. It's a shame because it's very highly regarded, I just wish I understood why.

The Vita version seems an odd choice for conversion. Especially so long after the other formats.