Playstation Vita

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

What's the situation with hacked firmware and PSN downloads? Should I be staying off the network?

I did the guide to go down to 3.60, and used all the patches, and I’m currently filling my 128gb sdVita with games in my download list. You know, stuff I own?

Thanks to PS+

So, there are no issues taking it online, as long as you do the ip address in the dns settings, and disable auto-updates

I only just finished this, I’m not an expert.

If you get nothing at all after Mike's advice, let me know, I am trying to get into repairs. 

However, as Mike said, try plugging it in and leaving it for hours. I got this one going after 4 hours in a macbook. Also depending on the charge cable, if not official, you cannot use any Apple plugs, as it won't take a charge from them.

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Yeah I've tried multiple power bricks/cables and left for hours. Think my OnePlus fast charger is the best I've got and still nothing.  Tried many combinations of button holding, still nothing

I'm away for a couple of weeks, but if you want to see it as spares, or want to see if we can fix, then let me know :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've a problem with my Vita - when I put it on standby, after a short while it decides to power off anyway. This means I can't take a short break from a game as it'll start from a fresh boot when I return.

I'm not running any custom firmware or hacks on it - it's just the official 3.69 firmware. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got a 32 and a 16 and never had a problem. When I was looking for a new card I'd read that the 64 cards were a lot more unreliable than the others, so went for the 32. And touch wood, I've had no issues. I've used it a lot as well, swapping games on and off there loads of times and its fine.

2 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

What about those micro sd card adapters? Are they any good? I am worried that my 64 gig card is going.

Apparently if you get a decent one they are fine, but they need your Vita to be on custom firmware. I'm still on official as I have enough to play on there with the stuff I have bought on PSN

If you mod the Vita, you can use the SD2Vita adaptors to use regular SD cards. I have had no problems with this at all and with firmware spoofing you still have access to PSN and your paid-for downloads.  If the worst comes to the worse and Sony blocks it, there's an app called PKG-J that allows you to download anything you want from PSN, and although this is piracy, I'm sure there's nothing illegal about you using it to download the games you did actually pay for previously.  I am not a lawyer, but PKG-J downloads the games from PSN, removes any copy protection afterwards and installs it to your modded Vita, so since you already paid for the privilege of downloading those games from PSN there's surely nothing wrong with that. Just don't use it to download what you didn't pay for.

What the fuck? The 64gb cards are unreliable? I think it cost more than I paid for the Vita itself! What happens to it exactly?

This is all academic because I never turn it on, but still...

• 2 months later...

Thinking about picking up a used Vita on Ebay, just wondering what I should be looking for as I've never owned one before. 

What are the batteries like? Can you buy new ones and are they easy to replace if need be? 

I've had an original model for years, charging it very regularly and the battery will still give you a good few hours of play. I did once have to remove the battery and re-insert it, as the system constantly showed that it was flat. But it's been fine since then. You can pick up replacements if you want.

The newer models have  better battery life but the screen is not quite as good. Also they can be charged with a standard USB cable rather than the bespoke connector on the original.

It's a brilliant console though whichever model you get.