IGNORED

Playstation Vita

Robo_1

Worth knowing as well, (as I struggled and had to look this up) but there's a setting in the PSTV menus that lets you use the L3 and R3 buttons to bring up multi-touch.  You can combine this knowledge with the whitelist app which unlocks any PSP or PS Vita game on the PS TV.

So for example, you can't usually play the PS Vita version of Ridge Racer on the PS TV, but the whitelist app bypasses this and allows the game to load.  But then you can't start the game because the title screen requires you to touch the touch screen. So you go to the settings and enable multi-touch, and then when you press L3 or R3 you'll get mouse pointers on the screen which will allow you to touch the screen and navigate your menus and play the game.

Incidentally, what an absolute waste of an opportunity Ridge Racer on the Vita is. It's a really good version, but it's online only, no one's in the lobbies anymore, and you're only able to race one other person or a ghost anyway. It just feels weird that they went to all that trouble to make a really amazing ridge Racer on a handheld and then they didn't bother putting any other traffic in it.

Luckily Ridge Racers 2 for the PSP is bloody fantastic and works brilliantly through the adrenaline PSP emulator on both the pstv and the PS Vita. 

• 1 month later...
On 07/06/2020 at 16:19, CovisGod said:

I am absolutely adoring Dragons Crown!

Its lovely, the music, the incredible visuals, the amount of grinding and upgrading to be done! Loving it so far!

I saw the recommendations in this thread and this is the first game i don't already own and decided i would give it a try. 

I'm around the hour and a half mark now, and quite enjoying what i have played so far and it reminds me very much of the D&D game Capcom did many years ago. 

It looks and plays lovely even when you get bouts of slowdown due to the vita not liking all the enemy sprites on screen at once. 

My only gripe is having to add my allies back at the end start of every mission i wish it would remember my picks just to save me a bit of time. 

2 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I saw the recommendations in this thread and this is the first game i don't already own and decided i would give it a try. 

I'm around the hour and a half mark now, and quite enjoying what i have played so far and it reminds me very much of the D&D game Capcom did many years ago. 

It looks and plays lovely even when you get bouts of slowdown due to the vita not liking all the enemy sprites on screen at once. 

My only gripe is having to add my allies back at the end start of every mission i wish it would remember my picks just to save me a bit of time. 

Once you clear the first run, I'll join you if you want? Anyone you play with, their character automatically becomes an ally, so you should be able to use my Lv99 Knight to help you out. Took loads of grinding, but I finally got the platinum trophy on that game. A true masterpiece!

1 minute ago, Superfamifreak said:

Once you clear the first run, I'll join you if you want? Anyone you play with, their character automatically becomes an ally, so you should be able to use my Lv99 Knight to help you out. Took loads of grinding, but I finally got the platinum trophy on that game. A true masterpiece!

Yeah, I'd be up for that. 

It's a great little game, can't believe i hadn't played it sooner. 

It really is insanely good. Took me from release until a couple of months ago to get the platinum, splitting my time across PS3, Vita and the PS4 remake. The only real grind way hitting Lv99, which seemed to take an eternity!

You need to play Odin Sphere as well. Another one I platted. Still need to finish Muramasa Rebirth though.

2 minutes ago, Superfamifreak said:

It really is insanely good. Took me from release until a couple of months ago to get the platinum, splitting my time across PS3, Vita and the PS4 remake. The only real grind way hitting Lv99, which seemed to take an eternity!

You need to play Odin Sphere as well. Another one I platted. Still need to finish Muramasa Rebirth though.

I own Odin Sphere on the PS2 and i haven't gone back to it in years i remember loving all the artwork and simplicity of it but i think it was overshadowed by other games i was playing at the time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Final Fantasy vii on the Switch this morning, compared it side by side with my OLED Vita.

Even now the Vita's screen is absolutely beautiful, the colours are so vivid they make the Switch version look wash out and I thought the Switch version looked great until I turned on my Vita. Plus the version of FFvii on new consoles have this really blurry background compared to the pin sharp backgrounds of the original PSX game running on the Vita. 

It really is such a difference with both sat here on my desk as I type this.

12 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Vita had so much potential. When it was released it was an absolute screaming beast of a machine too, it's practically as powerful as a PS3.

A wonderful little machine, capable of so much (I'm playing Mario 64 on it this week) and yet completely ignored by Sony who acted as if they never made it. Very poor promotion, and I think the super expensive memory cards was a big factor in why it failed.  The SD2Vita solution transforms it.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It was basically the perfect indie game machine for me, until those hopped over to the Switch.

I'm finding the Switch a little large and heavy to be comfortable as a hand held personally. I'm not sure I have ever been as disappointed in a new console as I have in the Switch since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

I'm finding the Switch a little large and heavy to be comfortable as a hand held personally. I'm not sure I have ever been as disappointed in a new console as I have in the Switch since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

Mallet is going get bundled into the back of a van

3 hours ago, Mallet said:

I bought Final Fantasy vii on the Switch this morning, compared it side by side with my OLED Vita.

Even now the Vita's screen is absolutely beautiful, the colours are so vivid they make the Switch version look wash out and I thought the Switch version looked great until I turned on my Vita. Plus the version of FFvii on new consoles have this really blurry background compared to the pin sharp backgrounds of the original PSX game running on the Vita. 

It really is such a difference with both sat here on my desk as I type this.

You playing the PSOne Classic version or some kind of emulated version?

I still love my Vita. Said it in this very thread that I'll never part with it. Dreading the day anything goes awry. Touch wood, no cursing.

I mainly use it for beautifully presented games from yesteryear, the pinnacle for me is overclocked Outrun 2006 in bed. I always go back and plug away at its chocka content. 

Lately I've been trying a few older PS1 games, mainly the ones that took a bit of stick in the big 3D crossover. In the Hunt, Rapid Reload etc. Great fun.

Currently playing Motor Toon 2 and Wipeout 2048 as well as the above. What a juxtaposition between the two. I can still remember saying to a mate "can you imagine being able to play Ridge Racer on the go". Jesus.

Love my Vita.

If you go from Vita games to PSP games on Vita then you may see a bit of “fuzziness” - I felt that a little when playing P3P but you quickly get used to it.

I didn’t play many PSOne Classics on Vita besides Vib-Ribbon, but that’s so lo-fi anyway that there’s little difference. Just be mindful of the Zoom settings - some games look pretty rough when stretched :D 

Another in the great machine camp here. Recently picked my vita back up and been playing it loads, more than the switch recently.

Completed the Warriors, a game I first started back on the PS2 but never finished, also completed Tearaway, what a gem of a game that was, I thought it was beautiful to look at even though it has some camera issues.

Currently playing Retro City Rampage and will be onto the Castlevania games after that I think.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

If you go from Vita games to PSP games on Vita then you may see a bit of “fuzziness” - I felt that a little when playing P3P but you quickly get used to it.

I didn’t play many PSOne Classics on Vita besides Vib-Ribbon, but that’s so lo-fi anyway that there’s little difference. Just be mindful of the Zoom settings - some games look pretty rough when stretched :D 

You do have an option with PSP games of disabling bilinear filtering - with it off the Vita gives you an exact, crisp 2x2 magnification of the image so you’re getting the same image as the original hardware but with bigger pixels.

For PSone you really want to use one the “normal” mode, rather than “original”. It’s blurrier but it keeps the aspect ratio of the original TV image, rather than the internal console  resolution.

I only have 3 psone classics so far, ff vii and 2 Tomb raider games. Personally I think they look fantastic on the Vita, the smaller screen running at the correct resolution makes things look super sharp. The backgrounds in ff vii are beautiful, add in the oled screen if you have an original model and the games just pop off the screen. 

Another positive for me is the full button remapping you have. 

3 hours ago, memories said:

Completed the Warriors, a game I first started back on the PS2 but never finished, also completed Tearaway, what a gem of a game that was, I thought it was beautiful to look at even though it has some camera issues.

Currently playing Retro City Rampage and will be onto the Castlevania games after that I think.

Nice reminder to get back into The Warriors when time affords.

When the Vita finally goes under I hope it'll be easy enough to make it a modded old-skool beast. Such a great machine.

I need to replace the analogue stick on my Vita, is there any difference between the sticks for the original model (which I have) and the slim? because all the ones I can find on ebay that aren't being posted from china state their for the 2000 model.