IGNORED

Playstation Vita

Robo_1

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

When the Vita finally goes under I hope it'll be easy enough to make it a modded old-skool beast. Such a great machine.

Already is.  

Screenshot_20200930-131425.jpg

This is the Vita port of Mario 64, not an N64 emulator. It's HD, wide-screen and plays so brilliantly.  I believe the improvements in this port make it better than the Switch All Stars release.

3 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Sorry for asking so lazily, but is it possible to have the mod stuff available as well as your Vita library?

Yes - there's version spoofing which means your Vita can pretend to be the current official firmware version allowing you to connect to PSN. 

17 minutes ago, memories said:

Vita version looks stretched to fuck there, that can't be right is it?

It's just the PS1 game running under emulation. There are loads of options for aspect ratio and screen size within the Vita's settings; that person just hasn't set it up right. Not a particularly helpful comparison.

The Switch version of FFVII is a port of the mobile port. It renders at a higher resolution but all the backgrounds and FMVs were upscaled and softened. I can see how that might make for a less 'sharp' appearance, especially compared to the original running pixel-perfectly on an OLED screen.

Yeah it's running the full screen option on the Vita. I'm all for the it's your game so you play how you want, it's no business of mine attitude but I can never understand people who don't play games or watch films/TV in the correct aspect ratio. It simply looks wrong stretched out like that.

I have no idea about the failure rate, but I have two 16GB cards and one 64GB card and the 64GB just decided it no longer wanted to read anymore. I can’t format it or anything either - it’s completely died. Both 16GB ones work, but recently I decided to grab an SD2Vita, plonk a 256GB SD card in it and then just download the games I owned on cartridge from not-entirely-above-board sources. There is actually a hokey App Store you can install on the Vita for these purposes, but I should probably stop typing before I break forum rules.

I have SD2Vita on a 3.60 firmware and use the spoofing option in the menu to report that i am on 3.73 (I think, whatever is the latest).  I get all the fun of the homebrew but still can download all my purchases from PSN. I've even been seen by a friend on PS4 as I was showing as online playing "homebrew" and he messaged me to ask what I was doing.  So as far as my own experience goes modded Vita is safe online. Mind you I don't pirate Vita games and I wonder what would happen if you started earning trophies for games you had never bought. Maybe that would be spotted and you'd get a ban. So don't pirate.

20 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Can you use non-Sony SD cards on an OG Vita if you're only using it as a modded machine?

You buy an SD2Vita adaptor which goes in the game cartridge slot. The mod process redirects everything to the SD card instead of the Sony proprietary card.  If i understand your question correctly, yes, the Non-sony memory cards are an integral benefit to the mod process. An unmodded Vita only allows you to use unreliable expensive Sony cards, a modded Vita lets you whack a 256Gb SanDisk into a £2 Sd2Vita adaptor and fill your Vita with joyful things.

39 minutes ago, Superfamifreak said:

The 64gb cards only generally have issues if you fill it over about 60% capacity. 

Good to know, thanks.

You would think with the how much they cost Sony could have made sure they were a lot more reliable.

• 1 month later...

My original OLED vita has been sat in my cupboard for over 2 years now unloved. What’s a respectable selling price nowadays? Good condition, with box and cable. Also have a 64gb card with it too.

I tried to get my son to start playing it on holiday a few years ago, but he prefers the Switch. No idea why... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed this!

Or rather, it fixed itself. Having later read about needing to disconnect the battery for a different problem, I thought I'd give it a go. Finally found the time to do so at the weekend, and the Vita was fully drained so it needed charging.

And now it Just Works™. I guess the complete drain was equivalent to a disconnect.

IT'S ALIVE (and no longer narcoleptic)!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it was fun while it lasted but it's gone back to shutting itself off fully.

As an aside, it's interesting to note how much instantly resuming play is something we take for granted these days that when it stops working and you have to - whisper it - load the game again at the start of the next session, we get fucked off by it.

Speak for yourself!

If I’ve been away from my Vita for long enough that it’s lost charge, I will have forgotten what I was doing anyway and so it’s probably best to start from a proper save. I always try and finish things up at a neat stopping point before I switch off a game though, it’s a bit of an OCD thing I suppose.

• 3 months later...

Dusted this off for some more Remote Play and to finally finish Iconoclasts (it’s good!) and was really disappointed that the plastic on the official case was already perishing. It’s only *counts on fingers* eight years old?! As old as my GBA SP was when I got the Vita?

Impossible.